Temp & soil set up

Tangerines

How do everyone.

I'm starting my first grow and after some advice. I'm going to grow some auto in my greenhouse. Bought some seeds, a few 12l grow bags, soil, food etc. but don't want to set off on the wrong foot. Can someone please advise me if I'm on the right path please?

I plan on starting the seeds in a cupboard - I have some 45w LED full spectrum lights that I used to grow chillies with. The thing is, I tested the temperature today before starting and it got up to 20/21°C. Will that be hot enough or should I sack that off and just put them in the greenhouse? That got up 36°C today. Or a bit of both? Or any other options?

A separate question is about soil. I have bought some Plant Magic Plus Soil as well as Biobizz Fish, Bloom & Calmag. I am going to germinate the seeds in water, then paper towel and plant straight into the soil. I am confused about how I best set up the soil though. Do I add the food supplements to the soil prior to planting the germinated seeds? Or a few weeks after? 

All advice is appreciated.

• Like 1

Hello mate, good luck with your upcoming grow.

I'm a barely competent grower, but I can give a few pointers.

Firstly, you need to consider your minimum temps - ideally you don't want the soil (i.e roots) to go below 20 at any point day or night. Your upper temps in the greenhouse are a bit on the high side too, I'd say. Low 30's seems to be about the limit for a comfortable grow.

As for soil, you add any feed after a while - usually a few weeks as you say. The Plant Magic comes with enough feed to get you going. Autos are usually lighter feeders than photos so bear that in mind.

You might want to search the site for 'Plant Magic Autos' and see what other people say about starting seeds off in that particular soil. Some soils can be too 'hot' for seedlings (i.e the nutrients the soil contains are too strong for a young plant). I don't know the score with autos in PM.

Having Calmag on standby is a good idea but much will depend on the type of water you have in your area - if it is soft/very soft, it is more likely that you will need it at some point down the line than if you are in a hard water area.

There is a ton on info on this site, any questions you've got will probably have been asked before, but I know there's a lot to get to grips with to begin with.

• Like 2

I germinate in Plant Magic Soil without any issues.  You'll need to start adding your grow nutrients from around 3 weeks...:yep:  If you have an electric blanket or reptile heat mat lying around then use it to warm up the seeds during germination.  25-27C will see them sprouting faster.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I've bought a solar fan for the greenhouse and it has auto vents to regulate temp too. 

I've just bought a heat mat to get the cupboard up to temperature for the initial germination. 

I guess I've got loads more reading to do. Watch this space...

• Like 3