Anyone else using a clamp and hair straighteners?

Dailydabber

Any tips? 

I've got unfortunately alot of experience with this so here my cents.. 

High temp, short duration and get a clamp. 

Ideally we'd all like low temp pressing but if you want decent yield high temp is a must when using hair straighteners and bodyweight/clamp

• 1 month later...

Do you not find the rosin to be very shattery and hard to handle when using high temperatures?

Afraid I disagree regarding temperature it’s possible to do low temp with clamps.  A good Irwin large clamp and you can get good yields just takes practice 

• Like 3

On 11/05/2020 at 10:48 AM, freewilly2121 said:

I used to clamp but now I vice

Did you strip down the straighteners and re-mount the plates?

On 11/05/2020 at 10:39 AM, Arthur Mix said:

Afraid I disagree regarding temperature it’s possible to do low temp with clamps.  A good Irwin large clamp and you can get good yields just takes practice 

My yields have never been impressive.

I even upgraded to the 250 kg heavy duty clamp.

Since I purchased the heavy duty clamp I have had two sets of straighteners develop unexplained faults and need returning under warranty.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Absurdist said:

Did you strip down the straighteners and re-mount the plates?

Yes mate, I used some older style saks professional hair straighteners with  4mm thick stainless plates, fixed ply to the vice then a metal plate then used some plastic to metal high heat epoxy to fix them down, yield is normally 15-17% did manage 22% once though! large.AFFIX_20200513_082059.jpglarge.AFFIX_20200513_082736.png

• Like 3

@freewilly2121 Nice method and impressive yields, thanks for sharing.

I like the idea of repurposing existing items rather than spunking ££££ on a bulky press that I'd then have to store when not in use.

e2a just had a look on eBay and proper 3x5" dual heated plates can be had for £150, no doubt cheaper on aliexpress etc. I am seriously tempted to buy some and use my existing vice to apply pressure. Seems a better approach than spending > £200 on a small press.

Edited by Absurdist

2 hours ago, Absurdist said:

@freewilly2121 Nice method and impressive yields, thanks for sharing.

I like the idea of repurposing existing items rather than spunking ££££ on a bulky press that I'd then have to store when not in use.

e2a just had a look on eBay and proper 3x5" dual heated plates can be had for £150, no doubt cheaper on aliexpress etc. I am seriously tempted to buy some and use my existing vice to apply pressure. Seems a better approach than spending > £200 on a small press.

Yeah man the diy method will out do most pneumatic press's on the market, if you do get those plates though mate you can get a 10tonne bench top press for £230 aswell would be sick! I'm looking to do the same when I have the space and have had multiple offers from people trying to buy my press lol

Edited by freewilly2121
  • Like 1

@Absurdist the area of a 3x5 prob won’t have enough surface pressure from a clamp , I may be wrong but it was something I swerved quite a while ago due to working out pressure across the area wasn’t worth trying imo. 

35 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

@Absurdist the area of a 3x5 prob won’t have enough surface pressure from a clamp , I may be wrong but it was something I swerved quite a while ago due to working out pressure across the area wasn’t worth trying imo. 

Haven't done any sums but I reckon I'll get plenty pressure out of a decent vice.