crawley things what are these?

lemonfizzypop

Good Afternoon

I have a seedling one week old that's just been transferred to a 1L pot.  On watering I've just noticed there are tons of these white crawley things in the soil.  I have pulled the seedling and it is sitting in bare roots in water just now.

Can I ask please these questions.

1. What are they?  

2.  Is it ok to try and save the seedling by making sure the roots are clear then repot in fresh soil?

3.  Will my other plants be affected?  They have been in the same tent and I just flooded one to check if any of the pests are moving about and it looks like they're not infected.large.20200322_114419.jpg

they're springtails mate.

nothing to really sweat about as they only eat decaying matter.

• Like 5

try and put a slice of bread soaked in milk on the top of the pot...the springtails will move onto it if they're present.

then simply remove them.

keep the plants on the dry side as they prefer wet medium.

but as I say they aren't anything to panick about

• Like 4

As @stu sleeper 20vt said, nothing to worry about. My coco is permanently kept wet through frequent irrigations, which results in a 5-star springtail hotel and spa. I've even started greeting them lol 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

try and put a slice of bread soaked in milk on the top of the pot...the springtails will move onto it if they're present.

then simply remove them.

keep the plants on the dry side as they prefer wet medium.

but as I say they aren't anything to panick about

16 hours ago, SYZYGY said:

As @stu sleeper 20vt said, nothing to worry about. My coco is permanently kept wet through frequent irrigations, which results in a 5-star springtail hotel and spa. I've even started greeting them lol 

Thank you both.  I done as advised, they were really tiny only about 1mm length so I set them free outside and placed the tiny seedling bare roots in new soil.   Fingers crossed it looks ok this morning though. My own silly fault I reused a houseplant pot :nerd::fish:

• Like 1

Had them last grow, nothing to worry about really as they caused no issues. Not much you can do really i hear.

• Like 2

They remind me of that Poppin candy u used to get as a kid when you water. There harmless and it now seems I'm not the only one to be saying gd morning to the springs. 

• Like 3

In my current experience , in coco, they are a nightmare to get rid of and really can fuck your yield and plant health. I reckon it must be because all they can eat in the coco is the roots, whereas in soil they have loads of other food sources. I am currently waging war using nematodes. Results inconclusive so far.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

can fuck your yield and plant health

I've been told this a few times, but never experienced it personally. Literally had thousands upon thousands of the 'little guests' on my last run and had the healthiest plants I've ever had and smashed my PB yield-wise. 

• Like 3

Can't comment really as to yeild as iv only cropped twice and had them both times. Only reason I can't see them this time is due to ma pots being topped with sand to stop the gnats but no doubt they are under ther. I'm also in Coco and have had millions of the little bleeders 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xmgsneakyg said:

They remind me of that Poppin candy u used to get as a kid when you water. There harmless and it now seems I'm not the only one to be saying gd morning to the springs. 

Yeah same here, I had a look under the loupe and they were wriggling around rapidly. Lucky it was a seedling and I stripped her of all soil, left to soak in water for a few hours then replanted in my own soil.

3 hours ago, monkeypig said:

In my current experience , in coco, they are a nightmare to get rid of and really can fuck your yield and plant health. I reckon it must be because all they can eat in the coco is the roots, whereas in soil they have loads of other food sources. I am currently waging war using nematodes. Results inconclusive so far.

Maybe try the bread as St Sleeper 20vt suggests, not sure if you could maybe change the medium next time in case they were in there originally also not sure if that may be correct.

2 hours ago, Xmgsneakyg said:

Can't comment really as to yeild as iv only cropped twice and had them both times. Only reason I can't see them this time is due to ma pots being topped with sand to stop the gnats but no doubt they are under ther. I'm also in Coco and have had millions of the little bleeders 

Same as above it may coax them to the surface if you can dry the coco out a bit beforehand.  Worth a try.  Hope the next run is better.

Update today, I Just checked them all and I am pretty sure all is good,  was worried about my autos cause they're a few weeks away from finishing but there are definitely no wrigglers in there anywhere.

Thank you all for helping :hippy:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 22/03/2020 at 1:44 PM, SYZYGY said:

Hi mate. I've noticed I've got black Springtails. Do you still stand by what you said? 

Are they nothing to worry about?

the ones I had were white...its generally considered they don't eat live material unless theyre seriously out of hand

I'm no expert mate just a grower who's had this in the past.

• Like 1

I grow in coco and have springtails regularly and to my knowledge have never done any damage to my plants or affected yield

post-6338-1263570209.jpg

The above is a springtail. Those look more like symphillids to me. Springtails dart/jump about like fleas hence the big hind quarters

Owd

• Like 5

1 hour ago, QFMAC said:

Hi mate. I've noticed I've got black Springtails. Do you still stand by what you said? 

All my springy guests are white... I never thought I'd be writing that sentence but there you go. 

They look just like the picture Owd has provided above. It's fun to watch them fling themselves about with reckless abandon :spliff:

It was my understanding that only springtails living in exposed environments were black (like mountains etc). 

• Like 1