Seeds not popped

Hi,

Looking for some advice please. 

I received seeds from Joolz a few weeks back and tried to germinate them and it's not worked. I want to buy some more seeds and off course do not want to make the same mistake again, if I have made a  mistake.

This was my process :

I put seeds in wet paper kitchen towels. Half inch or so apart. Had about ten seeds.  Everyday I topped up with the day before boiled water. Initially I used water straight from the tap, was that my mistake? . Then realised it needed to be distilled water so used water from the kettle that had been boiled the day effort. After 5/6 days I saw white roots showing and put straight away, using tweezers in small earth pots. Is 5/6 days too long for the seeds to pop. I used John Innes earth for seedlings. Nothing has come through as it's been another 7-10 or so. 

As I said I don't want to make the same mistake again. Could it be a bad patch?  Or have I done something wrong

Thanks in advance

M

sounds like  you did everything ok buddy .. i only used tap water  and  had no probs whatsoever ....how deep did you plant the seed with the root ?   give them time  ...  im sure they will pop ot soon

Thanks resin.

About quarter to half inch. I've done this before and they came through much quicker,  within a week for sure. I should add they are in a heated incubator

I'll be patient, thanks again

is it the red bag of john innes#1seeedling compost? 

if so try something else, I found it was utter garbage. 

this is my method.

boil kettle and leave till water is cool. put cool water into shot glass. put seed in there, it will float. 12-24 hrs later poke seed down and leave it a few hours to take in some water.

put seed in kitchen roll inside a plastic takeaway tub, with lid on. place it on top of ps4 or fish tank so it gently heats.

usually a couple of days later they have sprouted root, are ready to plant. I poke a wee hole in pre-wetted soil (important its wetted before you put seed in there) put seed about 5-10mm into the soil, and lightly cover with fresh soil

cover pot with sandwich bag and place under light .

it should pop thru the surface in a couple of days, and.....your off......

• Like 5

Thanks badbillybob,  I'll try that next time. Maybe the seeds were old, I dunno. I did use the Innes red seedling bag you mentioned, maybe that was the problem. What soil do you recommend i use instead? 

Thanks for taking the time 

M

• Like 1
3 hours ago, badbillybob said:

is it the red bag of john innes#1seeedling compost? 

if so try something else, I found it was utter garbage. 

this is my method.

boil kettle and leave till water is cool. put cool water into shot glass. put seed in there, it will float. 12-24 hrs later poke seed down and leave it a few hours to take in some water.

put seed in kitchen roll inside a plastic takeaway tub, with lid on. place it on top of ps4 or fish tank so it gently heats.

usually a couple of days later they have sprouted root, are ready to plant. I poke a wee hole in pre-wetted soil (important its wetted before you put seed in there) put seed about 5-10mm into the soil, and lightly cover with fresh soil

cover pot with sandwich bag and place under light .

it should pop thru the surface in a couple of days, and.....your off......

Alright Billybob? You said place it on top of the PS4? Would the germination method still work if I placed it on top of an Xbox ONE?

• Like 4

no, it has to be a ps4. if you don't have one, go out and buy one, they are great for germinating stuff … lol  

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 11

If they started to root and have stopped then you have got it wrong, seeds aren't suicidal, they just get treated wrong. Popping seeds in tissue paper imho, is some weird hangover from cress experiments in primary school. Use soil, compost, peat cubes, hydro cubes, etc

ETA: When seeds first germinate they have basic urges, grow upwards, grow downwards, seek light. Think about where seeds normally germinate, it isn't in tissue paper in an airing cupboard

Edited by distracted
  • Like 9

It sounds to me like you may have over saturated the seed.

When there is too much water surrounding that tiny little root it just turns to mash and doesn't recover.

If nothing happens dig one of the seeds out of the soil. Give it  gentle squeeze. The seed and root will probably just ooze out of the shell.

The trick is to keep the seedling HUMID / MOIST but not actually wet. 

It happens. Even more so this time of year as humidity is high and temps are low.

Try watering the soil with a tiny 5ml syringe. It will help not soak the soil.

GV.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, moley27 said:

Hi,

Looking for some advice please. 

I received seeds from Joolz a few weeks back and tried to germinate them and it's not worked. I want to buy some more seeds and off course do not want to make the same mistake again, if I have made a  mistake.

This was my process :

I put seeds in wet paper kitchen towels. Half inch or so apart. Had about ten seeds.  Everyday I topped up with the day before boiled water. Initially I used water straight from the tap, was that my mistake? . Then realised it needed to be distilled water so used water from the kettle that had been boiled the day effort. After 5/6 days I saw white roots showing and put straight away, using tweezers in small earth pots. Is 5/6 days too long for the seeds to pop. I used John Innes earth for seedlings. Nothing has come through as it's been another 7-10 or so. 

As I said I don't want to make the same mistake again. Could it be a bad patch?  Or have I done something wrong

Thanks in advance

M

I don't recall which seed you had buddy, but the fact they showed "white roots" on your kitchen towel suggests they did "pop" but drop me a message and I'll happily send you some more :yinyang:

• Like 10
8 hours ago, GreenVision said:

It sounds to me like you may have over saturated the seed.

When there is too much water surrounding that tiny little root it just turns to mash and doesn't recover.

If nothing happens dig one of the seeds out of the soil. Give it  gentle squeeze. The seed and root will probably just ooze out of the shell.

The trick is to keep the seedling HUMID / MOIST but not actually wet. 

It happens. Even more so this time of year as humidity is high and temps are low.

Try watering the soil with a tiny 5ml syringe. It will help not soak the soil.

GV.

More than one way. 

large.Floater.jpg

2 days later.    

large.5e555139b5dc6_Floater1.jpg

• Like 4