Seedling grow box

Ned Flanders

I am struggling to find space to set up a nursary for my guerilla grow. 

I want to make a small portable grow box for the seedlings first 2 or 3 weeks. 

What is the minimum light seedlings require before over stretching and light deficiancy become a problem?

It needs to be battery powered, so I'll probably be buying a couple of car batteries to run some 12v LEDs. 

Is this doomed to fail? 

Fuck i wish my garage had power! 

@blackpoolbouncer 

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Ned Flanders

@Ned Flanders germinate them in the house and then outside they go is my solution mate. 

People are often in a rush to get plants in the ground when in reality, you can grow damned big plants even direct sown once the frost has passed in may.

How many you starting?  If you have a look in my diary I made a dual purpose seedling/drying cabinet with a few household cold that would probably be up your street mate 

All the best 

• Like 3

@Ned Flanders germinate them in the house and then outside they go is my solution mate. 

People are often in a rush to get plants in the ground when in reality, you can grow damned big plants even direct sown once the frost has passed in may.

How many you starting?  If you have a look in my diary I made a dual purpose seedling/drying cabinet with a few household cold that would probably be up your street mate 

All the best 

• Like 1

Have a look at Amarillo slims "confessions of a serial guerilla grower" thread.

He shows how to build a really good self watering seedlings box outside that should be adequate for your needs.

As others have said, don't be in such a rush. Plenty of time yet before you even need to crack a bean..

Atb

• Like 3

@Dodgeeyeah I sww that.

Not sure where I would put it though? 

@blackpoolbouncer

I like the idea of being able to raise seedlings off a battery pack in the garage. They'd be safe and snug in there for a few weeks prior to plant out. 

I'm not in a rush, just planning ahead. 

I am planning on doing roughly 16 plants. The house and my garden are a no go. 

As a lot of the seeds are diary freebies I owe it to panik and dinafem mark to give them a half decent start. Direct sewing seeds is surely a recipe for poor gern rates? 

Jiffy plugs in a propagator on the garage roof end of may. (Tape the lid down).

Plant out mid June.

Best I can suggest given your limitations soz..

Are you sure you couldn't germ on a window sill in the house? South facing window out of the kids reach? It's only for a week or 2..

That said germing outdoors even in a prop will help harden them off for final transplant better..

Dunno, just thinking out loud tbh.

• Like 2

What i have used every year with out fail is one of those plastic storage containers you can buy in any department store, start your plants at your grow site inside this box, they'll be sound. You know the clear plastic ones that you store shoes and random crap in?

All i do to them (only ever owned 2 as i just leave them at my guerrilla site) is heat up a screw driver with a lighter and melt a few holes in the side for a little bit of ventilation, not big enough for critters to get in through.

The plastic acts as a green house and condensation builds up on the sides and roof and drips back in to the plants, meaning they don't need to be watered for like 3 weeks. You can pretty much plant them directly in to pots in that box and come back when they're ready to go in the ground.

Another member on the site told me about this method and since then I absolutely swear by it. Such a simple and effective way to start seedlings at your plot.

Takes all the sketchiness and trouble of transporting live plants to as well.

And don't worry about germinating them outdoors, i've done it as early as the end of march with good success.

Edited by yabbah
  • Like 4
On 01/03/2020 at 8:48 PM, Ned Flanders said:

What is the minimum light seedlings require before over stretching and light deficiancy become a problem?

It needs to be battery powered, so I'll probably be buying a couple of car batteries to run some 12v LEDs. 

Is this doomed to fail? 

@blackpoolbouncer 

Any thoughts? 

I think could be doable with batteries and 12v LEDS but not ideal.  Sure you've already considered, but no way of discreetly running an extension?  

4 hours ago, yabbah said:

The plastic acts as a green house and condensation builds up on the sides and roof and drips back in to the plants,

Ah yes, MK 1.  The rainforest tek haha. few mm's of water in the bottom and using a bush or similar to shade from the midday sun?  

-------------

The box at start of the thread D mentions shouldn't be mistaken for an over-engineered or excessively complex design, its as simple as you can get for something that will work consistently.  Everything that is necessary and nothing that is not is by no means about cutting conners or doing the bare minimum, its more about knowing what is and isn't necessary, which comes from extensive trail and error.  Everything works until it doesn't.

• Like 3

Alrighty people, I'm going to leave a couple of clear plastic boxes out and see what happens. 

:bong:

Thanky doodles for the confidence 

• Like 1
On 01/03/2020 at 8:48 PM, Ned Flanders said:

Is this doomed to fail? 

@blackpoolbouncer 

Any thoughts? 

Check My diary I just make use of what's around the house and 2 6500k cfl daylight bulbs and that vegges 6 nicely in 10 days 

22 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Cheers @B-real.

I wish I had a powersource and a space. Unfortunately i do not. 

Ok buddy Amarillo slim has a thread where he has a germ box on-site and instructions how to make it