GPU to work with windows 10

craigfjyp

Just now, iShouldCoCo said:

An external GPU... for a laptop?! What sorcery is this?! Surely this external GPU also has ports too though?

The bridge between CPU and GPU doesn't require much grunt to run most games, usb3 is enough to connect an external enclosure with a discreet gpu in IIRC :) The enclosure will need a psu of some kind, sometimes supplied with and proprietary, or a proper ATX unit fitted by oneself is the more flexible option :)

1 minute ago, Kinetikal said:

The bridge between CPU and GPU doesn't require much grunt to run most games, usb3 is enough to connect an external enclosure with a discreet gpu in IIRC :) The enclosure will need a psu of some kind, sometimes supplied with and proprietary, or a proper ATX unit fitted by oneself is the more flexible option :)

Aye I've seen those on Youtube but I don't think I've seen a case where you don't plug a display into the GPU display ports. I think this may be the case here maybe? A photo would help def help :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iShouldCoCo said:

An external GPU... for a laptop?! What sorcery is this?! Surely this external GPU also has ports too though?

OK - this is frying my brain. But I think chap - you will need to plug another monitor into your external GPU to get this to work. I can't think of any other way/situation scenario that this has come to pass ;) The lappy would need to be special to be able to feed an external GPU back in through the built in display.

im pretty baked so my brain ain't at its best but i figured as the o/p was upgrading from windows 7 then maybe this laptop is one of the older types that used to ship out with dedicated gaming card rather than an external gpu

• Like 1

Just now, highcontrast said:

im pretty baked so my brain ain't at its best but i figured as the o/p was upgrading from windows 7 then maybe this laptop is one of the older types that used to ship out with dedicated gaming card rather than an external gpu

Hahaha - I'm not even stoned. Just confused. And questioning my understanding of technology :unsure:

• Like 2

Just now, iShouldCoCo said:

Aye I've seen those on Youtube but I don't think I've seen a case where you don't plug a display into the GPU display ports. I think this may be the case here maybe? A photo would help def help :D

Correct, if the gpu is housed in an external enclosure then the display must be plugged directly into that, but I thought we are talking about a laptop with both intel on die fake discreet GPU and a nvidia discreet unit in context of OPs setup?

• Like 3

Correct, if the gpu is housed in an external enclosure then the display must be plugged directly into that, but I thought we are talking about a laptop with both intel on die fake discreet GPU and a nvidia discreet unit in context of OPs setup?

I'm not even sure! Hopefully some of this makes sense to @craigfjyp and they intervene and save us from this tail chasing... stat! :D

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kinetikal said:

If that is the case, I'd say BIOS update??

@craigfjyp Is this a Dell XPS? Try googling 'Dell XPS NVIDIA GPU not being used' - also be aware that temp throttling may be a factor? As in, if the GPU overheats it may default to the onboard graphics. It's always good to blast the vents/fans on a lappy every few months anyway

Edited by iShouldCoCo
A bit of google foo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, iShouldCoCo said:

If that is the case, I'd say BIOS update??

Maybe, manus usually recommend treating bios updates as usually last resort or if the manufacturers download page lists an update with a specific fix :)

Maybe, manus usually recommend treating bios updates as usually last resort or if the manufacturers download page lists an update with a specific fix :)

Aye - that's my view too even without laptop tricknology. There's an issue that sounds awfully similar with Dell XPS laptops I found and added to the comment up there ^

• Like 2

thx guys i got it working, i don't actually know how though, all i really done was fix my ram, its gone from 4gb to 8gb now, i don't know if that would fix a gpu or not but that's all i done.

all the ram not working seems a pretty common problem on windows 10 though, in system info it tells you how much ram is installed and it has how much is usable in brackets, you need to go into settings and turn the ram up to get full use of it.

• Like 2

I've not used Windows in a long time Craig but first thing that sprung to mind was that the iGPU drivers were installed only.

I'm assuming it's a laptop from your description. If for example you have an 1050ti (I haven't bought computer stuff in years so forgive my ignorance) and only the integrated driver appears in Device Manager (is that still a thing in Windows??), that's likely the cause.

Failing that, not too sure bud but willing to try help with further diagnosis..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craigfjyp said:

thx guys i got it working, i don't actually know how though, all i really done was fix my ram, its gone from 4gb to 8gb now, i don't know if that would fix a gpu or not but that's all i done.

all the ram not working seems a pretty common problem on windows 10 though, in system info it tells you how much ram is installed and it has how much is usable in brackets, you need to go into settings and turn the ram up to get full use of it.

Certainly if your using a 32 (x86) bit version of Windows 10 you'll only ever be able to use 3.21 Gig of RAM irrespective of however much is installed due to limited number of addresses. Windows 10 64 bit has no such limitations currently as they are yet to produce motherboards capable of seating RAM exceeding its address bus bit limitations. I think your referring to virtual RAM where the amount of GPU RAM is limited so it steals /uses a portion of the regular RAM to better facilitate the graphics card potential. Quite common in laptops especially with onboard graphics. This is an adjustable figure so you can apportion as much / little of the regular RAM to be used as virtual RAM as you please.

Edited by Poisonata
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Poisonata said:

Certainly if your using a 32 (x86) bit version of Windows 10 you'll only ever be able to use 3.21 Gig of RAM irrespective of however much is installed due to limited number of addresses. Windows 10 64 bit has no such limitations currently as they are yet to produce motherboards capable of seating RAM exceeding its address bus bit limitations. I think your referring to virtual RAM where the amount of GPU RAM is limited so it steals /uses a portion of the regular RAM to better facilitate the graphics card potential. Quite common in laptops especially with onboard graphics. This is an adjustable figure so you can apportion as much / little of the regular RAM to be used as virtual RAM as you please.

its a 64 bit version i have, when i was going into system info it was saying i had 8gb of ram but only 4 was usable, after i changed the settings its saying i have 7.90 gb usable now. its made a difference like, my laptop's running a lot faster.

• Like 1