GPU to work with windows 10

craigfjyp

hey guys, i just recently upgraded to windows 10, and with the graphics all that works is the built in gpu, does anyone know how to switch between both so i can get my better card working? all the drivers and stuff are up to date so its nothing like that, the icon in the task tray says its disabled but in device manager it says this device is working properly.

T.I.A 

@craigfjyp  Have you tried the Card's settings? For example going into Nvidia settings?

Where do you have your monitor / screen plugged in, do you get any picture if you go out of the ports on the card?

• Like 1

Just now, GreenVision said:

@craigfjyp  Have you tried the Card's settings? For example going into Nvidia settings?

Where do you have your monitor / screen plugged in, do you get any picture if you go out of the ports on the card?

ive tried going through the nvidia settings and everything's fine, it was working fine before i upgraded. everything else is working, its just the graphics is running through the built in graphics instead of the nvidia card.

its a laptop mate, i just use the built in screen. 

• Like 1

Just now, craigfjyp said:

ive tried going through the nvidia settings and everything's fine, it was working fine before i upgraded. everything else is working, its just the graphics is running through the built in graphics instead of the nvidia card.

its a laptop mate, i just use the built in screen. 

Have you gone into "3D Settings" in the Nvidia settings and changed the "Global" settings from Auto to "High Performance"?

• Like 1

i just noticed only half my ram is working as well, looks like i need to also fix that, its saying half of it is getting used as a cache.

2 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

sometimes there's an option in the bios to disable onboard graphics which might push you on to the better card

thx man, i'll give that a go.

2 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

Have you gone into "3D Settings" in the Nvidia settings and changed the "Global" settings from Auto to "High Performance"?

yeah, i already done that thanks

3 minutes ago, craigfjyp said:

i just noticed only half my ram is working as well, looks like i need to also fix that, its saying half of it is getting used as a cache.

This is quite normal, if the Laptop needed the RAM for a program etc it would use the half being Cached, its just to help your system run a bit better.

With the GPU have you tried the Intel settings? I forget what they are exactly as I use a gaming PC and dont have them, but I know they're usually on laptops. 

With your Bios I would wait before doing anything there. It's highly unlikely this is the case, possible but unlikely. If all you have done is upgraded the O.S then your Bios settings wouldn't change, you have just wiped a drive and re-installed windows, that shouldn't affect your MB's Bios settings. 

I'd continue looking into settings. It sounds like something somewhere has gone A.I on you and decided to use your on board GPU.

GV.

• Like 1

IIRC it's supposed to auto switch when the (proper) discreet gpu kicks in, have you fired up a game or heavy 3D app to test its activation or are you trying to force it while idling on desktop?

There is usually a control in bios to force the discreet unit as others have suggested.

Some iterations required the specific drivers from the manufacturer of the laptop, I think I had this issue with Lenovos now issuing CAD drivers that were compatible with hotswapping accelerators.

Maybe a sucking eggs moment, I don't know your skill level :) - does device manager show any problems with drivers?

E2A there might be a setting in power management also, depending on a lot of things!

Edited by Kinetikal
  • Like 3

This may be a stupid question, apols if so! What ports have you got your monitor plugged into? Usually onboard graphics use the motherboard's DP/HDMI/VGA port - so to get the GPU to work you just change over to its port :)

2 minutes ago, Kinetikal said:

auto switch when the (proper) discreet gpu kicks in, have you fired up a game or heavy 3D app to test its activation or are you trying to force it while idling on desktop?

I use Tower only, but I have just read pretty much what your saying here on a Google search.

I would assume its to save power the Laptop. My PC is like a diesel lorry, it just eats power, so I'd like to think somewhere laptops were made with in mind.

Makes sense too as the GPU Card is showing as working correctly. 

• Like 2

Just now, GreenVision said:

I use Tower only, but I have just read pretty much what your saying here on a Google search.

I would assume its to save power the Laptop. My PC is like a diesel lorry, it just eats power, so I'd like to think somewhere laptops were made with in mind.

Makes sense too as the GPU Card is showing as working correctly. 

hehe, this one I was able to type from memory for once :D

You are correct, it is all about power saving, though intel did try and push this gimmick on the desktop market, claiming that it could even boost a 3rd party discreet unit lol Their first offerings were about 10 years out of date in terms of horsepower IIRC, but intel is intel and they will muscle as much as they can.

Despite being automatic and all being well I expect there is still a way for it to go wrong, there always is! I spent 12 hours cleaning my computer over the last few days. In the process windows deactivated, cue a 2 hour dig for my product key, nearly frying my cpu because the power cable for my water pump was duff, fucking nightmare.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, iShouldCoCo said:

This may be a stupid question, apols if so! What ports have you got your monitor plugged into? Usually onboard graphics use the motherboard's DP/HDMI/VGA port - so to get the GPU to work you just change over to its port :)

this was my first thought, until i see they are using a laptop :smokin: i binned a card once thinking it was dead when in reality i was just plugging into the mobo instead 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

this was my first thought, until i see they are using a laptop :smokin: i binned a card once thinking it was dead when in reality i was just plugging into the mobo instead 

An external GPU... for a laptop?! What sorcery is this?! Surely this external GPU also has ports too though?

OK - this is frying my brain. But I think chap - you will need to plug another monitor into your external GPU to get this to work. I can't think of any other way/situation scenario that this has come to pass ;) The lappy would need to be special to be able to feed an external GPU back in through the built in display.

Edited by iShouldCoCo
Afterthought
  • Like 1