4g internet

Bustin Jieber

Just now, Bustin Jieber said:

kinda variable, was getting between 5-mbps now its 20mbps, couls really be spanking it if i had line of sight and parabola.

Holy shit that was bad! Have you got chickenwire in the walls or something?

Just now, Kinetikal said:

Holy shit that was bad! Have you got chickenwire in the walls or something?

that was right next to the window.

• Like 1

That is particularly bad, mayhaps the internal antennae is/are utter doghites. I'm surprised you weren't kicking off more about it, I would be :o

@Kinetikal any idea about polarity of psu's? im trying to rig up a battery pack to walk closer to the mast to check the speeds there, is the tip or sleeve positive?

1 hour ago, Kinetikal said:

By the sounds of tips and sleeves its one of those wall warts which can vary - it's usually marked on the transformer :)

cheers, i was over complicating, stuck the sim in my phone and went for a walk with it doing speed test, getting 30mbps next to the tower, think its pretty congested though as its now down to 2mbps in the house......curses.....lol

• Like 1

ok, it looks like i need a better router, has anyone got experience of them? using huawei 311 just now, but it only has one sma socket for antenna, allegedly for full mimo(multiple in multiple out) it needs two antennae, this shits getting pricey, think i might send the 311 back and get another with two port, but which one??? hlep

• Like 1

Give me/us some clues before I/others go shopping for you :P

1. budget
2. portable battery style or home router plug in style? (home router will be beefier but not as portable for price, battery reverse the beef/portability ratios)

3. any features required beyond the trifecta of fast reliable and cheap 4g/5g router?

4. What network are you with
5. any international requirements? (list countries or continents you want this to work in)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kinetikal said:

Give me/us some clues before I/others go shopping for you :P

1. budget
2. portable battery style or home router plug in style? (home router will be beefier but not as portable for price, battery reverse the beef/portability ratios)

3. any features required beyond the trifecta of fast reliable and cheap 4g/5g router?

4. What network are you with
5. any international requirements? (list countries or continents you want this to work in)

can stretch to £100 as im going to be using it for some time, doesnt have to be portable, would be nice but if im out and about i can always drop the sim in my phone, requred features would be detachable bunny ears/ twin sma sockets, with o2, using an unlocked huawei 311 just now but its going back as its a bit temperamental(seems to sleep randomly) thinking of getting Huawei B525 , but have been looking at various tp-link ones which say the bunny ears do indeed come off but amazon comments say otherwise.

cheers dude!

Might struggle for alternatives that fit after some digging - huawei is still carving themselves a corner of the market and combating the distrust of them with their prices by the looks of it, gaining little ground since I was last neck deep in it. Seems the competition aren't doing cat7 lte (the version that added mimo support) until over £100 at least, I found a zyxel that supports cat7 but not external antennae :/ Just about everything else I've seen lacks one thing or the other at this point, usually the cat 7 part, sometimes the external aerial part also, it seems these features come in over the next £100 over budget in the other competitors.

That being said I do loathe to put any seal of approval on netgear or tp-link. Cisco sold TP-link a while ago, and I've got a fair few efforts of both manus dead in my electrical graveyard or sent back if they died before I burnt the box.
On the positive side, I've been relieved to see that Asus and Gigabyte have filled the gaps that netgear and tplick made when they dropped their standards, though the prices match the gamer / premium tags they stick on themselves.

• Like 1

The Netgear option is well over budget.. There are desktop options but they run 4/5g as a failover option so haven't bothered with features in that department..

Oh I cocked up apparently mimo came out before cat7, but there's a speed increase in cat7.

Also to support mimo your local cell tower needs to support it too, and you know what service providers are like in terms of actually providing that service ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinetikal said:

The Netgear option is well over budget.. There are desktop options but they run 4/5g as a failover option so haven't bothered with features in that department..

Oh I cocked up apparently mimo came out before cat7, but there's a speed increase in cat7.

Also to support mimo your local cell tower needs to support it too, and you know what service providers are like in terms of actually providing that service ;)

im really getting into this (im austist) its becoming my special interest, just discovered an app called opensignal that allows you to see what tower you are hooked up to, this is like a magical new world to me as im already a bit of a radio freak

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 7:06 PM, Bustin Jieber said:

im really getting into this (im austist) its becoming my special interest, just discovered an app called opensignal that allows you to see what tower you are hooked up to, this is like a magical new world to me as im already a bit of a radio freak

Sweet, figures there would be something like that about :) I'm on the spectrum too, though no-one has dared specify where exactly. I used to work in IT so it's adjacent to a former special interest, though i burnt myself out on it in a big way a couple of years ago now.
Imma have a look at my mast too ^^

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sometimes im getting 30meg connection, better than the broadband with talktalk, the mast suffers network congestion at certain times like today, its wet and everyone is internetting.