4g internet

Bustin Jieber

anyone using 4g for internet? my speeds are not so bad, but i was thinking about getting an high gain antenna to make it beefier, is it worth it?

• Like 1

Yup, not bad I get 40 Mb each way on torrents and peaks of 60 on less lossy traffic.

High gain antennas can add bandwidth depending on how 4G actually works on layer 0/1, though it won't make it faster than it can be in the first place. Unless you have less than half signal or have other problems (depending on specifics) I wouldn't prioritise it. The bottleneck in 90% of internet connections is not your local network or last mile anyway :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, unity said:

maybe a bit obvious, but just run the speed test on your phone?

why? the sim is located in a huawei router which has no phone facility.

9 hours ago, Kinetikal said:

Yup, not bad I get 40 Mb each way on torrents and peaks of 60 on less lossy traffic.

High gain antennas can add bandwidth depending on how 4G actually works on layer 0/1, though it won't make it faster than it can be in the first place. Unless you have less than half signal or have other problems (depending on specifics) I wouldn't prioritise it. The bottleneck in 90% of internet connections is not your local network or last mile anyway :)

what sort of antenna u got? is it omni? im in the bottom of a cube of tennements so i dont have line of sight to the transmitter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bustin Jieber said:

what sort of antenna u got? is it omni? im in the bottom of a cube of tennements so i dont have line of sight to the transmitter.

Not even an external antenna, just my phone handset, though I might enjoy a better situation on one or a couple of aspects relating to mobile data. I can see how you might have some deadspots though, what sort of happenings are you experiencing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bustin Jieber said:

why? the sim is located in a huawei router which has no phone facility.

because if you get piss poor speed on your mobile a 4g router isnt going to work miracles.  I didn't reaslise you'd already bought the kit and was using it - isn't it a bit late now to ask if you would be able to do so?

maybe i'm missing something here?  sounds like you're asking if you could use a 4g router for internet while you are using a 4g router for internet?

42 minutes ago, unity said:

because if you get piss poor speed on your mobile a 4g router isnt going to work miracles.  I didn't reaslise you'd already bought the kit and was using it - isn't it a bit late now to ask if you would be able to do so?

maybe i'm missing something here?  sounds like you're asking if you could use a 4g router for internet while you are using a 4g router for internet?

but i was thinking about getting an high gain antenna to make it beefier, 

its kida patchy with the router internal radio so i was wondering if anyone has experience adding an external antenna to a 4g router.....? also, i had run it on the phone but it would switch internet off if a call came in...

Edited by Bustin Jieber

1 hour ago, Kinetikal said:

what sort of happenings are you experiencing?

i figure if i can somehow mount the antenna outside or as close to outside it should pull a better signal. theres a guy on youtube has a metal veg steamer as a parabolic? reflector dish, him be getting good speeds two miles over open air, my mast is half a kilometer away if that, but no line of sight.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bustin Jieber said:

i figure if i can somehow mount the antenna outside or as close to outside it should pull a better signal. theres a guy on youtube has a metal veg steamer as a parabolic? reflector dish, him be getting good speeds two miles over open air, my mast is half a kilometer away if that, but no line of sight.

I might struggle a little with wording...

In terms of the path of least resistance, yes, outdoors is less insulated from the signal than indoors, but glass offers little resistance so just inside of a window usually works just as well as outside. Concrete/bricks/steel aren't great, but this is resolved by another behaviour

While mobile frequencies do not refract around corners as well as LF, they do reflect. Much like a concert hall, this can cause resonances that either cancel or harmonize (amplify) in the signal, degrading the signals quality. (Try this by listening to levels of bass in music as you or the speaker move around the room - corners usually harmonise with bass)

It seems like you are not going to get LOS however you cut it, but by careful and persistant experimentation you will be able to hunt out the best spot in the flat, which will vary depending on the properties of the antenna itself.

A directional antenna will eliminate sources of noise, but will only pick up reflected signals from a limited amount of surfaces, so it could limit your signal if the dish is too narrowly focused, or facing the wrong direction. Given the ease of converting omnis to directional as you have seen, I'd get an omni.

An external high gain would give you more freedom to experiment though. It could pick out signal from bands that were previously noisy, which would allow more bandwidth, but the divisions are quite narrow and flexible as is, 5-20XHz iirc. Latency is more dependant on last mile connections at each end, and I suspect if you were having serious stability issues you'd be mentioning specific problems eg. pages just failing to load randomly.

Wired routers have a page with a table of all the open bands, their attentuation, and other stats. I'd like to think mobile routers have them too if you want to fall down the rabbit hole :)

sorry for ramble. I think the TLDR would be get a cheap omni antenna if you want but don't break the bank, as it's more important where it is than what it is :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kinetikal said:

noice, what are the before and after speeds? I can't see any mentioned, though I may be being blind!

kinda variable, was getting between 5-mbps now its 20mbps, couls really be spanking it if i had line of sight and parabola.

• Like 1