Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade

Degsy

Been on the cutting edge of technology I've got a PC running Windows 7 here and Microsoft are stopping supporting it this month , is it possible

to simply upgrade to Windows 10 now ? I know they offered this in the past but that was probably at least 2 years ago.

Yes they originally said it was for a limit time and dont publish that you can still do the upgrade for free.

If your computer is slightly older you may have to install onto usb without updates as it wont let you install the most recent build of windows 10

• Like 2

Just don't.

Biggest piece of spying advert laden spyware out there.

If you must, just set your calendar back to the date range that it was free and away you go. But I'll say again, don't bother.

Bio

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Biokid said:

Just don't.

If you must, just set your calendar back to the date range that it was free and away you go. But I'll say again, don't bother.

Bio

I've heard that it's more akin to a mobile phone type operating system now, so does that mean the "Apps" are open to "spying" on you like with a phone or is it Win10 that's also "spying" on you as well? What info does it gather?

I have a Win7 laptop and thinking of using it for as long as the VPN and anti virus still work, then it'll probably be Linux. If I have to leaarn something new I may as well install one of those versions with a "Windows" looking skin.

:smoke: 

@Seasick Steve

7 hours ago, Seasick Steve said:

What info does it gather?

I dont know, but even when you have no web applications running, and have gone to the effort of reading blogs to turn off as much shit as possible, it's constantly sending info out. VERY chatty. HTTPS so can't 'sniff' and get much...The connections are going back to microsoft, or weird bot-net like gobbeldegook domains. I'm trying to learn about windows as it is now, but it's a very different world to what I'm used to so... yeah. Dunno.

I think to find out without doubt you'd have to be a wizz and decompiling binaries, and trawl through the code. That's no trivial. Beyond me. Mebbe I'm wrong though.

(long term linux user who, for reasons unknown, finds himself using win 10 and not fixing his own laptop)

ETA

Those interested -  open powershell as admistrator and type/paste the below. What this is doing is showing connections and the process which owns them.

netstat -anob

We dont own these machines at all. I believe the 'professional' variant is better, from what I've read... Steal that instead if you have a choice, Id say.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

I dont know, but even when you have no web applications running, and have gone to the effort of reading blogs to turn off as much shit as possible, it's constantly sending info out. VERY chatty. HTTPS so can't 'sniff' and get much...The connections are going back to microsoft, or weird bot-net like gobbeldegook domains. I'm trying to learn about windows as it is now, but it's a very different world to what I'm used to so... yeah. Dunno.

Thanks for that mate, I have a friend who is very tech savvy so I'll have a word next time I see him and see if he knows any more about what it sends out. Although he doesn't worry about such things as info being sent back to the "Mother Ship", I on the other hand find it a point of principle to prevent such things if at all possible.

• Like 2

I was on windows 7 until a couple of weeks ago when it started playing up...took it into the shop and they installed windows 10 for £36.

They told me that 7 was about to be unsupported and wide open security wise, they installed free antivirus 'clamwin' which seems to work well.

• Like 1

@Seasick Steve

If you hear anything solid, be interesting to read if you up for sharing - a short cut be lovely as I'll lose interest soon.. I've got a block list active on my router (I put custom firmware on there  :geek: ), a half effort for the the windows devices in the house. It's also in it's own vlan. 

And I hear you on data, perhaps it shows, heh (although I'm qucikly losing the will)... its amazing how so many have been conditioned into thinking that this is an acceptable part of consumer computing. The data, along with other digital sources, and transport cards, contactless, etc, when combined... oh man. I think future generations will look back and say 'what were they thinking being so passive'. Well, hopefully.

I'll shush. I can get a bit dull on this stuff

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
cant find non-stoned reading glasses, nag box.
  • Like 1

Just a tip to anyone downloading and installing windows 10. With every previous version of windows there was the option to create a local account to sign in during the install (although in later versions it got harder and harder to find, but it was there). With a new update to w10 a while back they removed this option from the setup process. They literally try to force you to setup using a microsoft account., and to create one if you don't already have one.

The only workaround to this is to disconnect your pc from the internet during setup, then as if by magic, the option to create a local account is available during the setup. It took me a godly while to figure that out lol  I'm hearing some rumours that microsoft might be planning to make the next version subscription only.....

• Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 10:41 PM, Biokid said:

Just don't.

Bio

What do you use then ? Windows 7 has worked fine for me for years and I'd just continue using it if it wasn't for security concerns when microsoft stop updating it

@Degsy

Windows 7. I'm not too bothered about ongoing support, as long as I have a decent anti-virus tool and spyware/adware blockers, I think I'll be ok.

I use Bit Defender for virus, Ad Block Plus and Ghostery as well as regularly running Malwarebytes and CC Cleaner on my machine.

Bio

• Like 2

On 08/01/2020 at 8:44 PM, j.o.i.n.t said:

If you hear anything solid, be interesting to read if you up for sharing - a short cut be lovely as I'll lose interest soon..

Yes will do. I've not been in touch yet, he's been away with work a lot.

On 08/01/2020 at 9:19 PM, i11 said:

Just a tip to anyone downloading and installing windows 10. With every previous version of windows there was the option to create a local account to sign in during the install (although in later versions it got harder and harder to find, but it was there). With a new update to w10 a while back they removed this option from the setup process. They literally try to force you to setup using a microsoft account., and to create one if you don't already have one.

The only workaround to this is to disconnect your pc from the internet during setup, then as if by magic, the option to create a local account is available during the setup. It took me a godly while to figure that out lol  I'm hearing some rumours that microsoft might be planning to make the next version subscription only.....

I downloaded a copy of Win 10 from the MS site onto a USB stick to install a new copy onto my laptop. I never thought to disconnect from the network so I ended up creating an MS Outlook account. Then you're asked about your "activity history" tracking the apps and services you use. Cortana then wants to give you a personalised experience by collecting your voice input, handwriting patterns, searching/browsing history etc. Then there's the "find my device" and the diagnostic data it collects and sends home. Then finally sending your "inking" and "typing" data, it even wants to send the things you've printed off ffs, all in the name of "improving language recognition and suggestion capabilities".

I've turned them all off but it seems everything wants to collect data

I think I might re-install and create a local account at least that'll be one less thing looking at me. lol 

• Like 2

@Degsy

I was recently playing fallen order on Windows 7 and it wouldn't run so I put Windows 10 on to my SSD to see if that would work.  I eventually got it running but as a consequence got a look at Windows 10.  They have done their maximum to ensure you don't have control over the way it runs,  it is just filled with advertising, everywhere.  If you are going to use it download O&O Shut Down 10 a free app that means you can get some control.  It is just a massive advertising platform now.  Trouble with Windows 7 is that all support ends at the end of this month.

Edited by Hir
  • Like 2

If your current windows 7 is a legal and activated copy it will upgrade to the relevant win 10 version for free - i did one of our works pc’s yesterday and went without a hitch..

might get “stuck” at 27%, but it does get moving again after about 30/45 mins. So don’t panic if it seems to have frozen.

win 7 home -> win 10 home

win 7 pro -> win 10 pro

win 7 ultimate -> win 10 pro

:v:

i’d have preferred to stay on 7, but boss wants everything secure.

i’ll be poking about in 10 a lot this month (i like exploring new software).. i’ll come back to this thread if i find anything useful :) 

• Like 3