Deeznugs

How you doing stoners, I found out it's very easy and most importantly CHEAPER to make a hepa filter @ home. Basically you use a panel filter of desired grade, I'm thinking H13-U16 would be considered hepa, then attach it to either the front or the back.

This is where I need help, different sites say its better to put it on the intake but others say exhaust does anyone know? If i can put it on the exhaust could I place several on my oscillating filters to trap mold spores? Also for anyone who's done this could I also use replacement filters intended for AC units or dehumids? 

Thank you in advance guys:) 

Wpuld ha e to be on your intake. What good would it do to stop mold spores once the air has already passed.

Besides. Your trying to find a solution to a problem without addressing issues.

Mold is only a problem if your environment is conducive to it. Sort out your Rh rather than filtering the air. 

Also. It a all well and good having sterile air going in but how are you gonna stop millions of spores entering when you open the door? 

There really is an awfully lot wrong with this plan from what I can see

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2

Thank you for your reply @blackpoolbouncer, mold spores are every where (even in mid-low range RH levels) to say I'll make my area sterile is delusional agreed. My goal here would be prevention rather than cure.

Reasoning behind my plan would be that a bug barrier is proven beneficial we also see hepa filters being marketed as a better product for those with the money. It's also been shown hepa filters can trap 99.9% of particles under .01 micrometers including mold spores, in my opinion this would be beneficial to a grow room. I hear what your saying about putting it on the intake it would be more efficient. 

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed

@Deeznugs I looked into this a while ago. Trying to replicate a HEPA filter would be too hard without actually essentially buying one. 

To get rid of spores, I tend to put UV sterilising lights inside a tube leading to my intake. That really should be all you need. 

• Like 1

Thank for your your reply @Nervous, that sounds like a great set up you've got do you mind sharing pictures? I have been looking at UV lights as well but not sure how I would utilize them. Why do you say it would be too hard to replicate a hepa filter? From what I can see it's just a fan+pre-fabricated hepa filter

Edited by Owderb
No need to quote mate when you've used the @function

21 minutes ago, Deeznugs said:

Thank for your your reply @Nervous, that sounds like a great set up you've got do you mind sharing pictures? I have been looking at UV lights as well but not sure how I would utilize them. Why do you say it would be too hard to replicate a hepa filter? From what I can see it's just a fan+pre-fabricated hepa filter

Could I just ask why you're after using a HEPA filter? 

I'd love to but it's essentially just a white tube with wires coming out of it unless I disassemble it. It's as simple as buying some UV kitchen sterilisers that work at a distance at least the diameter of your tube, hot gluing them to the inside and running the wiring (mine were originally battery operated) through the sides.

From what I read, it's not as easy as just whacking any fan on any filter medium. They're tailored to work with each other similar in the way to the recommendations you get with carbon filters and fans. So making one yourself would be even harder to say. 

As pest prevention, the idea was originally posted by University of Michigan's Medical Center as a cheaper alternative to a air purifier I don't think I can post the link but a quick google search should direct you also they have a video on YT where they perform live tests w/ particle counter. From what I understand "HEPA" is just a grade of filtration. 

Think I will use a UV light as well they don't even seem that expensive. 

I'm going overboard because last grow zi did I lost good buds to what I think was mold. Some buds would look amazing on the outside but when you break them they would release what I can only describe as dark mold spores. NEVER AGAIN! Was during the hottest summer just past as well so humidity wasn't a problem.

Edited by Owderb

@Deeznugs I wouldn't go that far on pest prevention as the little bastards will probably creep in as you open the door anyway. For pests the UV (make sure the UVC isn't blocked) and some sacrificial/deterrent plants around the room/house would do the trick 

or pests could be on you, thats why its important to wear clean clothes or be in the nudey when going into the grow room   lol

• Like 3

I use Henry hepa vacuum bags over 4” pipe on the inlets of my tent..free from my work of course . Filters most of Scotland,s  flying insects out especially wasps in summer (attic grower)..   better than nothing I guess.

• Like 1

lol thanks for all the replies guys, yeah true soon as you open the door crap gets in but theres no way they are taking another crop from me without a fight. Stocking up on hand sanitizer, full body covers, gloves might even get a plug-in ozone generator for the hall way leading up to the groom.

Some people's birthday suit have critters too...could get a "if you itch down low, dont enter the grow" might even be cheaper

I just use a cut from a pair of ladies tights.

I have a 100mm pipe sucking in fresh air into my tent and I just cut piece of aforementioned tights held on over opening with an elastic band.

it's surprising how much dust it catches

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deeznugs said:

Simple & cheap cant ask for better than that, thank you for sharing @Subutai

Thx mate, its an old PC enthusiasts trick for fan filters.

Just check with your missus beforehand or you will get some funny looks lol

IIrc you want around 20 to 30 denier, but do check with the missus

• Like 1