How to improve my Wilma system?

weeder

As the title states, how you think I could improve my Wilma system plans? I think yield is my number one priority and I'm new to hydro systems.

I have planning getting a new Wilma system, either XXL 9x18L or XXL 5x25L. Area will be ~150x150x200 and light 600W or even 1000W if suggested. I would prefer 600W myself.

So the question is: should I pick 9x18 or 5x25?

I know people have a lot of opinions but please reason yours with pros and cons! I would like to know my possible bottlenecks in both cases. I have heard that 9x18 would be faster to harvest (because of smaller size of plants) for example. I have also heard that 25 liters would be a way too much per pot but as a person who prefers few bigger plants instead of many smaller ones the decision is still hard to make.

Thanks dudes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asterion said:

More light if you want bigger yields. Setup nutes etc come last. 

You think even 1000W wouldn't be enough to cover that area? I have always heard about adding light but is there any cap after it won't effect anymore on yield?

600 isn't enough mate they have a 3.5x3.5 footprint and your space is 5x5 I'd definitely use the 1000watt. Or 2 600 watts together maybe if your yet to buy.

• Like 1

I would go with 2 x 600s in that area, for better coverage than a single 1000watter.  1 x 600 wouldn't be enough, no way. 

• Like 2

For your Wilma, id cut holes in the top and let the roots go into the res , like dwc, with additional airstones and a chiller.

Have a look at heath Robinsons perpetual harvest video on yootoob.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 05/01/2020 at 1:26 PM, weeder said:

As the title states, how you think I could improve my Wilma system plans? I think yield is my number one priority and I'm new to hydro systems.

I have planning getting a new Wilma system, either XXL 9x18L or XXL 5x25L. Area will be ~150x150x200 and light 600W or even 1000W if suggested. I would prefer 600W myself.

I know people have a lot of opinions but please reason yours with pros and cons! I would like to know my possible bottlenecks in both cases. I have heard that 9x18 would be faster to harvest (because of smaller size of plants) for example. I have also heard that 25 liters would be a way too much per pot but as a person who prefers few bigger plants instead of many smaller ones the decision is still hard to make.

Thanks dudes!

I ran a 1.5m x 1.5m with a 1000W DE. It's a good light for that size. Efficiency wise though, you would be best taking the advice and going 2x 600w.

I ran nine 25L wilma pots with a DIY feed and DTW system. Had it on a timer. Less pots mean bigger plants, means longer veg time. If yield is what you are after, go with a 12 pot system and purchase it to make your life WAY easier. Have the feed on a timer and you're ready to go.

Use SCRoG. It takes practice but canopy shape is key to yield. Give the canopy the right shape, surface area and light, filling the tent will leave the other items upto personal preference. Remember, if you completely cover the surface area of the canopy with growth and light to hit the bud sites, you'll get what you're after.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry to but in here.  I can attach pictures if needed.  I also have the same set up but little more height.  I have 1.5 x 1.5 x 2.2 with the 5 X 25lt Wilma.  Currently only have 4 as using the space in the middle for my 11lt Humidifier.  I have a parabolic reflector in there with a 250 veg bulb the one with the bubble in the middle.  From what I am reading would I defo need to up the light above 600 for flower?  I was going to use 2 flowering led strips and also a 600 hps for flower?

Any advice would be appreciated, currently vegging nicely

A.T 

As said before, id go with 2x 600s. 

you might need to put them in aircooled hoods with a separate fan for the lights, if your extraction is on the small side.

a mate of mine used to run this set up and did pretty well out of it

Hey babbillybob, thanks for the reply.  I used to run 2 x 600 but that was back when I just had an rvk fan.  

I have since upgraded to the G.A.S controller with sytem air fan, 6inch outtake, and intake is 5 reduced down to 4inch duct

I am sure this would be sufficient, or chill with the 600 parabolic and see how it goes? 

A.T

On 05/01/2020 at 1:26 PM, weeder said:

Thanks dudes!

I bought the 4x 25l and changing the resovoir was such a pain in the ass I got rid of it mid grow and went back to soil lol.

I am confused as to why it was a pain to change the reservoir and going back to soil and hand watering?  Step backwards?

the speed the plants drink with well rooted coco ive never had to drain the res! The plants do that quick enough!

if your going coco I wouldn't go bigger than the 11l pots as the faster you can root them out the faster you can up the feeds to get better growth.

the rez on the 4 pot could do with being bigger Imo.

I'd remove the sticky foot off the pump to lower it in the rez as I think it sits too high and only gives a few days of watering at the suggested way.

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 2