Help putting a relay into 1.5 amp voltage stepper Stc1000 and relay

Thc biscuit

Good morning, Iknow this has been covered 1000 times but after spending 2 weeks searching I still can't find the answer I need 

Iv wired the stc 1000 to the step transformer and it works great for controlling the temp but I need to wire in the relay so I can have the fan ticking over then when the heat hits 30 fe full speed kicks in and sucks it back down to 26 

I have an 8 pole relay and tried to follow the diagram in a previous post but was unsure 

Hopw some one can help us 

Cheers 420 

Edited by Thc biscuit

What type of step transformer do you have? Also what is the STC-1000 currently controlling?

What type of fan do you have?

I've wired lots of STC-1000 controllers for many purposes so can help you out if you explain exactly what's happening and what you want to happen. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply buddy 

It's a 5 stage str 1.5 controling a metal 8 inch fan. 

The voltage stepper inside has terminals to wire to for full speed and then controlled speed with dial at front 

Currently got the stc wired into 2 plug sockets one controling fan other controling the heater, 

What I want to be able to do is have the 8inch constantly on low speed but when the stc kicks in at 29 I want it to switch the voltage to 220 fan full speed 

Edit

I have a MY2N-J-8-Pin relay 

Hopw this is clear enough for you 

Thanks buddy 

Edited by Thc biscuit

No experience with the 5 Stage STR, what brand is it?

Basically you want the cooling output from your STC-1000 to switch the coil on your MY2N-J relay. That's as simple as it sounds really, live and neutral either side. So when the STC-1000 switches to cool, it energises the relay.

You want the 220V live and neutral mains input to your STR, to go via the pair of contacts on the MT2N-J relay. Wire the incoming live to the common contact on one side of the relay; and the incoming neutral to the common contact on the other side. 3 pin plug > relay > STR 220V input terminals.

The normally closed contact of the live on the MT2N-J relay will go to the STR live input terminal and the normally closed contact of the neutral on the MT2N-J will go to the STR neutral input terminal. So when the relay is not energised, the 220V mains input passes straight through the relay and into your STR as normal.

Now on the MT2N-J, you want to take connect the normally open live to the live going to your fan and the normally open neutral to the neutral going to your fan. Do this by terminating the wires taken from the normally open contact on the relay, into the same terminals as your fan output on the STR. This effectively bypasses the STR entirely and puts 220V on your fan until the temperature has come down enough to cause the cooling output from the STC to turn off again.

I've not mentioned earthing as I'm assuming continuity from start to finish as it's currently wired.

Hope this makes sense, it's quite hard to word...

Edited by EatonMess
  • Like 1

Thank you mate been trying to get my head round it but I'm. Unsure still, don't suppose you coukd nock a quick drawing up please sir 

Here you go. The site wouldn't let me upload the image, so I used an URL image host site instead:

https://tinyurl.com/sjkq2nx

I couldn't find a wiring diagram, but I assume the controller has live/neutral/ground in and live/neutral/ground out. Same with the relay, the numbers may be different but I've used the typical ones as an example: 9/12 common, 1/4 NC, 5/8 NO, 13/14 coil.

Again, I've not included earthing, but it'll be obvious enough where to terminate the grounds.

Hope it all makes sense, that's certainly how I'd be going out it bud. Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Thank you sir that's made it a hell of a lot clearer to me, I'll let you know if it works or I blow it up haha, thank you again mate 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey @EatonMess,

I have being trying to attempt something similar just with a slightly different apporach, although I am clueless with relays and going wrong somewhere and was wondering if you could help me out if you had a spare minute. Below are some details on what I am trying to achieve, along with one of my best drawings.

Setup so that the fan gets either 230V or 110V (Same as switch settings 5 & 3)

All neutrals(blue) are connected together (commoned)
The brown wire with the green is the switched output to fan
The brown wire with the black is for the heater, all other brown wires are commoned.

4 way mains:
Brown = 230V to STC-1000
Black = 230V for maximum speed via relay contacts
Grey = Controlled live out(depending on switch position)
Blue = Neutral

https://tinyurl.com/uo77r69