Stick with light mix or all mix?

Jamesryan19

On 12/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, SquidgyBlack said:

Im juat a little confused myself as to why certain strains need extra perlite when some people dont use perlite at all. 

Im sure someone will set me straight haha 

Peace 

Perlite is added to compost to improve aeration, drainage, texture and water holding capacity.

If your compost requires perlite adding then your starting with an inferior product to start.

If I bought compost and it needed 30% perlite adding to it to make it for for use it would be going in the bin anyway. 

Decent compost should not require perlite.

It's a bit like buying a car and people saying you need goggles, hat and scarf in winter 

Yea you do if you buy a car with no heating and it's missing the roof and windscreen(not ideal) 

Compost with perlite is like a car with no roof. It's still a car and it's useable but it's no substitute for a proper one with a roof and heaters.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2019 at 8:40 PM, BarrySHitPeas said:

To be honest there is no right or wrong answer, just personal preference for the most part when choosing soil strength. 

With lighter mix soils you get slightly better rooting but you have to start feeding earlier, Some plants can handle the all mix strength and thrive in it.:yinyang:

k71 is obviously doing a nice compromise , lighter soil at top of the pot, All Mix down the bottom of the pot, But you have to have 2 bags of soil, so more expensive slightly more hassle.

but a nice solution for you.

(if i was using BB soils I'd definitely consider doing this)

I personally think Tropic mix is the best i've used for Autos as its so fast to root through, given its coco content and autos with the time limited veg time.

but i've been having a few weird growing issues lets call it recently, so for current grow  i went for a change ,i've also gone for Plant magic Supreme, lovely texture hardly any bits of wood (which attract's fungas gnats ) but it is classed as a light mix soil .so not what i'm used to , so like you won't be exactly sure when to start using grow nutrients myself so there is a certain amount of trial and error with all of it. but something you perfect with concurrent  grows.

As  general rule  light mix soils should last around 2 weeks medium strength 3 weeks, and strong stuff like all mix 3/4 weeks  BUT That is just a rough guide i should stress different plants under different environmentals will want/need different amounts of nutrients.

(Have to learn to read the plants)

i'm going to start thinking about  feeding as from day 21 , usually its around day 28 but with lighter mix soil its going to run out faster. so star low and build up he nutrient strength.

you can add amendments like insect frass and worm poo to add longevity and some might say better rooting but can also come laced with pests like gnats so be weary.

Good luck 

i've just potted on using PM soil.

Day 9 above soil

large.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeg

Day 11 above soil after pot on.

@Barryshitpeas

I know its an old thread, but I just had to compliment you on maintaining your room like an operating theatre!  It forced me to clean mine, and tidy the fck out of my room as well.   I hope you don't mind me asking, but my girlfriend organises and cleans exactly like you, and has OCD, do you find a compulsive need to have it like this, or are just able to turn it on when you want?  :) 

ps -  do you ever get a taste of Mr Sheene in your rollup ?  :):) 

Edited by pepe16
tried to tag Baz Shitpeas, but don't think it's working, so added inane ps
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pepe16 said:

I know its an old thread, but I just had to compliment you on maintaining your room like an operating theatre!

lol that would be the 10% bleach, sort of makes everything shine. And to be honest, that was exactly the sort of standard I was working to.

4 minutes ago, pepe16 said:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but my girlfriend organises and cleans exactly like you, and has OCD, do you find a compulsive need to have it like this, or are just able to turn it on when you want? 

Weirdly, I don't have OCD, but a suspected plant virus. But after I cleaned everything to that level, I have to admit atheistically I enjoyed looking at it more.... felt more organized, cleared my head. But felt no compulsion to repeat it.

One tent by completely by accident ended up colour coordinated.....

Maybe I am a bit OCD :unsure: shame it doesn't come through in other more productive ways

(you have me asking deep personal question to myself haha right nowlol)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

after a few hundred hours with psychotherapists it sort of spreads out from me -  I just raise mental health awareness :cheers:

23 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

lol that would be the 10% bleach, sort of makes everything shine. And to be honest, that was exactly the sort of standard I was working to.

I'd started to get lazy, as my legs and back give way easily, so it's a burn like exercising hard for me doing simple things in the tent.   Your tent actually inspired me to get cleaning.   I'll read through thread again to see what your problems were.  

• Like 1

Guest Donnyronny
On 8/27/2021 at 2:15 PM, BarrySHitPeas said:

Weirdly, I don't have OCD, but a suspected plant virus. But after I cleaned everything to that level, I have to admit atheistically I enjoyed looking at it more.... felt more organized, cleared my head. But felt no compulsion to repeat it.

One tent by completely by accident ended up colour coordinated.....

Maybe I am a bit OCD :unsure: shame it doesn't come through in other more productive ways

Hi mate

was just wondering how your doing now after the virus, are you all back to normal? 

mine never came back touch wood. 

cheers and all the best 

On 28/08/2021 at 2:06 PM, pepe16 said:

I'd started to get lazy, as my legs and back give way easily, so it's a burn like exercising hard for me doing simple things in the tent.   Your tent actually inspired me to get cleaning.   I'll read through thread again to see what your problems were.  

I know the feeling, I'm currently getting double-teamed by my chrohn's and impacted wisdom teeth ,

My problems I think are covered in this topic back from 2019

18 minutes ago, Donnyronny said:

was just wondering how your doing now after the virus, are you all back to normal? 

I'm still cleaning up the garden mate, I'm having to kill all the plants outside, like clear the entire garden of plants  it's a big job to add context I found further evidence it had spread outside on quite a few the plants, Not sure if it started outside or by dumping plant matter/root balls/spent soil over the years I spread it out there Or pests....or whether I got it from the garden It's hard to tell.

(we have a  cat/dog) so thought it's best to clear the entire garden before starting again, otherwise risk bringing it back in.

Don't want to have to re ozone at shock levels, isn't something I want to repeat, it degrades certain materials more than others.

Not safe in operation, either need to leave it a fair while before going back in.

I'm obviously really going for it this time, I think changing the extraction system, tent and taking up the carpet and ozoning the room should work,

but type of virus I suspect, is really environmental stable virus, and it went undiagnosed for a long time, so probably a lot of virus particles had built up in the room.

You're a grower you know what room pressure is like with extraction fans on, anything left in the house sooner it later is making it to your tent/ fan.

• Like 1

Guest Donnyronny
Just now, BarrySHitPeas said:

I know the feeling, I'm currently getting double-teamed by my chrohn's and impacted wisdom teeth ,

My problems I think are covered in this topic back from 2019

I'm still cleaning up the garden mate, I'm having to kill all the plants outside, like clear the entire garden of plants  it's a big job to add context I found further evidence it had spread outside on quite a few the plants, Not sure if it started outside or by dumping plant matter/root balls/spent soil over the years I spread it out there Or pests....or whether I got it from the garden It's hard to tell.

(we have a  cat/dog) so thought it's best to clear the entire garden before starting again, otherwise risk bringing it back in.

Don't want to have to re ozone at shock levels, isn't something I want to repeat, it degrades certain materials more than others.

Not safe in operation, either need to leave it a fair while before going back in.

I'm obviously really going for it this time, I think changing the extraction system, tent and taking up the carpet and ozoning the room should work,

but type of virus I suspect, is really environmental stable virus, and it went undiagnosed for a long time, so probably a lot of virus particles had built up in the room.

You're a grower you know what room pressure is like with extraction fans on, anything left in the house sooner it later is making it to your tent/ fan.

I know exactly what your thinking and where your coming from bud, 

personally I think I bred it out via growing from seeds, culling 70 percent of veg plants regularly and boosting with aspirin, it was a two year fight but hopefully you’ll nail it, I did bin tents fans and filters tho.  I think filters were the main problem. 

I always wondered if it came from a Japanese maple and a huge fern I had next to my back door which had similar symptoms, I got rid of them both.  Or smoking in the house. Fuck knows. 

all the best mate and hopefully it will just die out/sod off/fuck off/go away like mine did. 

good to hear your on the go again