Frankenlight UV supplement

Kinetikal

Eyup, I got bored and did a thing to my light. I got another light and made them kiss.
large.5dc0a04e68173_UVCFL.jpg

Seems there aren't any true uvb leds, so tis a 24W t5 arcadia 14% uvb light, which fits nicely with samsung / diyleduk strips. also gives 30% uva for good measure :) rough estimate it adds just shy of a natural level of uv in proportion to the rest of the fixture. Taste tests begin roundabout new year! :D

Fitting was easy enough, clips included and whatnot, just bolt them on. I already had holes for mounting my driver, so I cut the oscillation button from a fan in half and used them as a spacer to give it 3/4" clearance for breathing room. The strap's a bit bowed because I had to invert one of the fasteners to clear the power cable, which I did in situ, but it will do until grows end.

• Like 3

Just make sure you don't go in there when its on, and cover up all your skin.

The UVB will give you skin cancer in a blink

https://www.who.int/uv/faq/uvhealtfac/en/

also be aware that your eyes absorb 100% of uvb, so wear proper shades.

there that's the boring health and safety bit out the way, lets hope the plants like it, im sure they will. 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

Just make sure you don't go in there when its on, and cover up all your skin.

The UVB will give you skin cancer in a blink

https://www.who.int/uv/faq/uvhealtfac/en/

also be aware that your eyes absorb 100% of uvb, so wear proper shades.

there that's the boring health and safety bit out the way, lets hope the plants like it, im sure they will. 

Is this warning still applicable to the situ that the op posted in which he said "  it adds just shy of a natural level of uv ". surely if thats accurate then he/she/we are just supplying the same levels of uva/b as you would be exposed to out in the big bad world. Im not being a dick here btw just curious.

• Like 2

@Diddy

Depends which governments doctors you listen to The natural levels of uv can be pretty intense, 5 minutes at the wrong time will get you a lobster outfit if you're not used to it.

The UV index numbers from the box:

@12" 10.5 - Burns in ~5 minutes
@24" 3.2 - 20-40 minute cooking time for the average person

Obvs with light if you halve the distance the intensity is multiplied 4x, meaning you've got about 60-90 seconds at 6". Best just avoid it all if possibles :).

Oh apparently the UVB:UVA ratio changes too and this will have its effect (what i'm not sure). The 14% is richer in UVB than the desert spec lights (mountain desert? It's for dragons) so might be even worse.

• Like 2