Thats enough mould for me

blackbob

Got stuck into the last 2 big plants today as the mould was depressing me.Got thorough and cut out middle and sides with some very good smokables coming off also.Time i got the 1st cleaned up i discovered 6 big colars totally unaffected and now free to breathe and get light.Number 2 gets same treatment tomorrow.

One thing i noiticed was all the stem rots and moulds began where shade leaves were removed earlier in the season.problems of a moist polytunnel grow i suppose.

• Like 3

Just keep an eye because there’s a very high chance there’s still spores in the air if you still have plants going on in the same area :yinyang:

19 hours ago, GrandaddyJabba said:

Just keep an eye because there’s a very high chance there’s still spores in the air if you still have plants going on in the same area :yinyang:

Loads of spores you can see them explode into fine dust when you cut,only affect wounded plant tissue though from what i have experinced.think my biggest problem this time was they grew too big and i had to bend tops over to prevent them touching cover.Wont matter next year i'm growing summer autos.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blackbob said:

Loads of spores you can see them explode into fine dust when you cut,only affect wounded plant tissue though from what i have experinced.think my biggest problem this time was they grew too big and i had to bend tops over to prevent them touching cover.Wont matter next year i'm growing summer autos.

Makes sense, there are fast flowering fem strains worth considering too. 

But without training you may be surprised at how big some autos can get, I’ve had a glueberry o.g plant that maxed out my tent, couldn’t raise led any more and it’s a 1.8m tall tent :smokin:

11 minutes ago, GrandaddyJabba said:

Makes sense, there are fast flowering fem strains worth considering too. 

But without training you may be surprised at how big some autos can get, I’ve had a glueberry o.g plant that maxed out my tent, couldn’t raise led any more and it’s a 1.8m tall tent :smokin:

i got  20ft polytunnels 8ft max height. no lighting nor electric its basically get going and your in the hands of the weather.

Edited by blackbob

2 hours ago, blackbob said:

i got  20ft polytunnels 8ft max height. no lighting nor electric its basically get going and your in the hands of the weather.

You’ll manage easy with 8ft height :george: how do you cope on hot days has it got doors/ vents that lift up?

41 minutes ago, GrandaddyJabba said:

You’ll manage easy with 8ft height :george: how do you cope on hot days has it got doors/ vents that lift up?

YIP its a simple commercial tomato grow tunnel with full bottom side netting and two full netted doors,but once we reach mid september up here no amount of venting really helps to drop humidity levels.

20ft long 10 ft wide and anti drip cover which works fine in summer but not Autumn,air flow is crucial and you just dont get enough under plastic no matter what you do.They grow most of the summer outdoor in 15l pots and only get brought in when weather turns naughty.twats got too big this year and i couldnt get them back out of the tunnel door for some fresh air.That aside we are smoking first early buds now even though they not cured yet and have to say they spin ya napper no probs.prefer something more sedate meself so more glass curing required.

Edited by blackbob

I get ya, I know, this time of year there’s humidity in the air so venting won’t do fuck all to lower it unless it’s a dry day and not too cold.

Good to hear you got a crop at the end of it though! :smokin:

• 3 months later...

Hi Bob & Grandaddy,

I read somewhere else that removing lower shade / fan leave can induce mould and rot to the plants, I was thinking about this and also about preventing pests attacking the wounded stem. Last year when I needed to reduce the size of the plant and take some of the lower leave off I smeared the fresh cut / wound with Vaseline (other types of petroleum jelly are available) this seemed to give a water resistant barrier and time for the area to harden up.

I'm a nooby novice so I don't know if this is a good thing or not!! but was thinking if you dusted the Vaseline with whatever fungicide people use it might do the trick and not harm the plant. Any thoughts would be welcome. 

I really feel for you outdoor guys, all the effort you have to put in and the odds are really stacked against you. 

Mould is a shit, @blackbob I hope the rest turned out ok for you dude.

Edited by Smokebelch
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...