Another Autopot Thread

Joint hogger

I'm thinking of moving to the autopot xl system and have 2 questions, would the slightly bigger plastic pot be better than the material smart pot, and is the danger of soil clogging things up worth the reduction of possible Ph issues over coco?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Time to plan for my first grow with the Autopots which I plan to start once my current soil grow is finished,

So i'm looking for advice & suggestions if you dont mind folks  :yep:

Right, the plan will be to run 6 15L Autopots in a 1.2m tent under my 2 x 315 CMH lights,

I did consider 9 pots but thought that too much for the size of tent & I wouldn't be able to use my 3ft tube heaters in winter time.

I already have a 225L flexitank, but I'm a bit hesitant using it & have been considering on getting something a bit more sturdy.

I've been looking at the 168L Harcoster water butt, as I prefer the more squat shape & it looks more stable than the 100L slim line water butts.

large.611987dc117c9_Harcostar114-168-227litreWaterButts.jpg

The water butts Dimensions are

114L - 51 x 51 x 68 cm

168L - 58 x 58 x 82 cm

227L - 60 x 60 x 99 cm

I've already got a couple of aquarium water heaters, but they're both 50w, so I might need to get something bigger if I get the 168 L water butt,

I've also got a plant it water timer & a bluelab guardian monitor, which measures pH, conductivity & the temp, sounds ideal for a lazy fucker like me  lol

My next Q is whats a good Coco to use, is it 100% Coco or a mix with soil ?.

As for nutes, I'm not sure on what to go for, so I'm open to suggestions for Nutes in a soft water area, I'd also prefer to keep it simple as possible,

ie in two parts preferably & I don't want to add any fancy/pricey additives unnecessarily  lol

Also, would it be beneficial to add a chiller or don't bother as I plan on using a water heater in the water butt/res ?

Cheers amigos.

• Like 1

i just bought a 210 litre water butt, with stand for 32 quid, from B&M stores, bloody bargain that, steptoe (me) would be proud.

they are 47 quid in b n q , without stand. 

good luck with them, im sure panik was using hydroton at the bottom few inches, coco on top.

wont need a chiller either. 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 1

Don't think the top would be big enough for some of the larger butts you guys are looking at but for raising the standard autopot 47lt tank, a folding stool works well.

large.61215931a9d4a_s61PKhAhoCS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i just bought a 210 litre water butt, with stand for 32 quid, from B&M stores, bloody bargain that, steptoe (me) would be proud.

they are 47 quid in b n q , without stand.

Only downside with your plan is that B&M dont deliver & it would be awkward strapping a 210ltr water butt to the back of a motorbike  lol

2 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

Only downside with your plan is that B&M dont deliver & it would be awkward strapping a 210ltr water butt to the back of a motorbike  lol

where's your sense of adventure? lol

• Like 2

OK, I'll strap the water butt to the viffer & for a bit of adventure riding,

I'll take the butts lid off before I set out & it'll be filled by the time I get home on the back wheel  lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Joint hogger..I’m using coco with ecothrive charge and getting great results so far..well impressed…   growth technology green haze a+b grow/ bloom is an easy 2part nute I been using for a while with no problems at all. Just remember to put the root control mats in both of pot and trays….feel like I’m teaching ma granny to suck eggs here haha :) 

quite surprised no one else including my mates are using it!..2” hydrocoton pebbles in bottom of pots and 1” layer on top of coco to slow the drying out .. sorted..simple as fook just like myself .. guid luck with the system.. g. 

• Like 2