Pc case grow upgrading to LED

5tealthman

So, 

After a long hiatus ive decided to dust off my old PC grow box and put another grow on. 

Ive made a few modification since i Last used it, ive made a pot that covers the entire floor, upgraded the fan covering the 125w CFL, and moved one of the lower fans from the RHS to the left into a void so the pot has more space (previous grows used smaller pots and roots were restricted) ive also changed the carbon in the filter. 

For now, Ive Just throw in a single auto blackberry kush to see how well it does with all the changes. 

Moving forward im looking into Led lighting. It wont give me much additional space but Will be more powerdul. 

My main question though is how much heat do they put out? Currently growing lights on 24/7 as its in a cold garage and this keep temps nice at around 23° however, i worry that LEDs May get hotter than my CFL and that i may struggle with temps. I also worry that there Will need to be more clearence between the chip and the plants. 

Im thinking of x2 100w tesfish chips (10,000 lumens a pop) attaché to a heatsink and fans but does anyone know how hot they get? They Will also give of three times the lumens of my current 125w Cfl bulb. Is this overkill? 

I'm not too sure but I think you can get quantum boards closer than that.  My Scope is currently running at around half power in a sealed environment with no intake and no extraction.  Temps are currently sitting at a comfortable 26C.  The light itself doesn't emit that much heat, just enough to heat the groom a bit.  If you can get the driver set up in a different area away from the room the grow is in then the temps are easily controlled.

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

I'm not too sure but I think you can get quantum boards closer than that.  My Scope is currently running at around half power in a sealed environment with no intake and no extraction.  Temps are currently sitting at a comfortable 26C.  The light itself doesn't emit that much heat, just enough to heat the groom a bit.  If you can get the driver set up in a different area away from the room the grow is in then the temps are easily controlled.

Cheers. Ive not heard of the quantum ones before. 

I may end up buying a few 100 cobs from China to test. They Will only cost a few quid and they Will give me a rough idea of temp and Light output. 

If you have a look at the DIYLEDUK website, you can specify the size of your grow area and lights are suggested to match your requirements.  He's also the LED site sponsor and will answer any questions you might have.  Much better than that Chinese stuff...:smokin:

200w in a PC case will be total overkill mate. I wouldnt recommend an LED in that space at all if im honest. Id probably stick with CFL

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:22 PM, 5tealthman said:

Cheers. Ive not heard of the quantum ones before. 

I may end up buying a few 100 cobs from China to test. They Will only cost a few quid and they Will give me a rough idea of temp and Light output. 

These work:
https://tinyurl.com/y2m5frka
I used neodymium magnets taped to small loops on the fitting where the hangers would attach. Magnets stick to the top inside of the PC tower giving more head room.

Edited by EatonMess

• 1 month later...

Firstly dp BlackBerry kush is a pain to grow and low yeilder ime so if you havent popped it maybe dont. I know nowt about leds but anything high powered will need more distance from the bulb than you have. Good luck