DIY Brain for £35

SYZYGY

Just looking at buying the parts for the runoff plumbing, would it be a bad idea to add an inline 25mm filter for the runoff, instead of using tights? Not sure if these filters work using gravity.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 10:20 AM, Slippy One said:

Just looking at buying the parts for the runoff plumbing, would it be a bad idea to add an inline 25mm filter for the runoff, instead of using tights? Not sure if these filters work using gravity.. 

Apologies, only just spotted this post. 

I had thought about inline filters, but concluded that they would block far too quickly with bits of coco and potentially cause a mini flood. The tights work a charm. 

46 minutes ago, ukbudz said:

Cracking guide @SYZYGY, I'm going back into coco and after reading this thread and the dripper one I'm going drippers and dtw :yep:

Glad the guide was useful mate, and I don't think you'll regret your decision. I had fun hand-watering in coco but things really took off when I started auto-feeding. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking along the same lines but with a maxijet pump on a timer, however the flow switch control on this sounds less hassle and already comes with it's own reservoir, think I'm sold! Cheers for sharing

• 2 weeks later...

@SYZYGY

Excellent idea fella.

A quick couple of questions if you'd be so kind.

How do you link the rear of the 4 trays with a T straight to each other and the 3 fitting options on the trays are they just a plug you remove and fit a screw in straight barb?.

@SwiftyGreen Hi mate. The Medusa base trays use 13 or 25mm IWS fittings. There's a threaded end with seals that attaches to the tray, with a barbed elbow or a barbed T at the other end. 

59 minutes ago, SYZYGY said:

@SwiftyGreen Hi mate. The Medusa base trays use 13 or 25mm IWS fittings. There's a threaded end with seals that attaches to the tray, with a barbed elbow or a barbed T at the other end. 

Nice one for the reply. I'm familiar with IWS fittings are the spare ports on the tray capped as i'll be using two with fittings but there is 3 or have i read this wrong. Thanks for the help :yinyang:

@SwiftyGreen There's one hole in the centre of the base tray for the IWS fitting, once this is installed it is water tight. There's three large holes on different sides for the piping to pass through in whatever configuration you want. The unused holes on the sides do not need to be capped. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@SYZYGY

Quick update got this up and working modified the original sump in the end.

The pump is nice and quiet even using a 2.5m head height which i'm very happy about :)

• Like 1