PC packed up?

Sasquatch

It started doing it again after an hour or so, will try the PSU.

It's a brand new board which has only had about 3 weeks' use so I doubt it's that.

I installed Speccy, a component monitoring app : the hard drives and SSD are all fine, the CPU is ticking over at 35C which is what I would expect but the board is 65C which strikes me as pretty warm.

Hope this isn't serious, it's the old i3 socket and finding a replacement would be difficult.

• Like 1

Come to think of it finding a replacement board will be impossible, I bought it two years ago after having trouble sourcing it, the seller had told me they didn't have any left then got in touch to say they had got a final delivery from Asus. It's literally one of the last boards in that configuration ever made, maybe it's a Friday afternoon lemon with added lemonyness because they were dismantling the production line.

The case for the new one arrived just now , perhaps I should just crack on with that.

15 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

It started doing it again after an hour or so, will try the PSU.

It's a brand new board which has only had about 3 weeks' use so I doubt it's that.

Sounds like overheating to me mate. I presume the case is dust free as that would be an obvious course of overheating. Maybe redo the thermal paste on the CPU? Run with the sides off\oscillating fan blowing in to see if that reduces\stops it happening?

e2a: If you start a new day when it's cool and it'll run for a few hours, maybe try a CPU stress test to see if you can force it to reboot that way? I think that'd prove it's overheating.

Edited by mrrichiet
  • Like 2

I haven't put a case fan in it but it's all perfectly dust free with no obstructions or clogging. The cooler got lashings of good thermal paste and 35C isn't anything to worry about, I would like to know exactly where the board temp sensors are. 

Even though there's no case fan 65C seems too hot for the usual causes of overheating.

lashings of therma paste are known to cause overheating, so what I always do is clean the heatsink on the cpu & the base of the cpu cooler with iso, then apply new paste.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Whatever it was it has stopped doing it. I just switched it on after 3 hours -  it remained on while I left it at the 'start Windows normally' page then through the loading and is now sat there like nothing happened. WTF?

18 hours ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

sounds like a possible update to me 

Come on vince, it's staring you in the face....aliens!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joint hogger said:

lashings of therma paste are known to cause overheating,

It's the board that's hot not the CPU. It's an Asus so it's got big fancy heatsinks all over, maybe it's something to do with one of them.

if you've got the MB manual, it might tell you if the heaatsinks can be remounted, also, depending on your air flow direction, the back of the MB migh be covered in dust, its worth checking.

another thing to consider is that the gfx can over heat too as that can also cause shutdowns, clean the fan & if you can get into the air channels, give them a clean too.

but its also possible your pc went nuts is that Microsfts last update was a bit wonky, my own pc is about 2 yrs old & has a handy reflash bios button with two save points,

so it was easy to roll back & avoid the MS update.

• Like 1

I opened it up, everything is seated or plugged in right, Speccy keeps telling me the board is 65C but that stays constant even after a few hours. It hasn't done it again and everything seems normal now.

So, no cause, no cure, but it's stopped doing it and I just hope it stays that way. Thanks all. :yep:

• Like 1

I know it’s fixed but If it happens again you should remove everything thats none essential like external gpu’s/sound cards. Have only hardware running that’s essential.

if you have more than one stick of ram try removing the other or try some new to test (if you can get hold of a stick).

If it happens as soon as the machine starts from a proper cold boot then heat issues are unlikely the cause. CPU would need to hot 80+ in seconds. I’ve ran i7’s with no cooler at all for half hour np.

Make sure no software other than windows runs. Stick the bios back it’s default settings and see what happens.

i would prolly go with RAM/HD issue. It happening in bios should rule out software but you never know.

As mentioned above, try install a distro. Doesn’t even need to be a full install. Just to see if it crashes.

It's till running OK, the board temp is 65C but it's pretty constant at that temp.

Vince was on about updates, perhaps  there was an update issue but that update has now worked it's way into the 7 system and settled down - that was certainly a common phenomenon with XP.

I don't know why it happened, but it's not doing it now and fingers crossed it will stay OK while I get the new one built.