PC packed up?

Sasquatch

If it’s doing it in the bios it’s not software, is the cooling fan on the cpu coming on? It will stop if the cpu gets over temp very quickly

• Like 1

Yes the fan is working.

Bang on Jimboolol

I'm beginning to suspect the PSU though I don't see why it would keep restarting rather than just pack up.

check the watch battery on the motherboard ..no one mentions these but they do actually run out of power eventually ,you may have a very simple fix on your hands sas ..

the other way to check is to get someone to download a live distro of linux onto a usb stick ..try booting a live distro ..if you get the restarts with that then you know its hardware ..if it dont then you know its either bios or software issue ..probably a corrupt update ..just guessing on that last one .

• Like 2

Could be anything really. The only way you are going to find out is if you can isolate the problem. I would start be unplugging all peripherals, if that doesn't show the culprit you will have to start removing hardware (disks, RAM etc). But if it is the PSU that will all be a waste of time so better check that first if you can? 

• Like 2

or you could run a live distro and rule out what it isnt ..without taking apart a pc ..

if linux boots you can check the hardware from within .

ahh hold on ..you got a dedicated graphics card in it ..if so try lifting it out ..then run using onboard graphics ..i seem to recall this happening to me sons pc a while back .

• Like 1

Vince I thought the batteries recharged while the PC was running? If not then maybe that's it because it's  probably old.

I've got an Ubuntu live disc somewhere , seeing if it runs will help eliminate software I guess.

Thanks everyone, nice to see so many PC users around.  :thumsup:

• Like 1

if its the same problem I had it just kept restarting I was unable to get into the computer to fix it, when I put the bootable disc in I intended re running windows but it took me to a fixer and it sorted it for me. 

14 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Vince I thought the batteries recharged while the PC was running? If not then maybe that's it because it's  probably old.

I've got an Ubuntu live disc somewhere , seeing if it runs will help eliminate software I guess.

Thanks everyone, nice to see so many PC users around.  :thumsup:

rechargable ..i dont think so ..every pc ive opened contains a standard watch battery ..its often overlooked ..worth looking at for a cheap solution if it is that chap.

• Like 2

Does it reboot even when sat in the the bios idle, or having booted to a flash stick and does it whilst sat waiting? 

Swap power supply first and see if results improve. 

Had similar a few times ower the years usually hard drive issues wi me 

Was once it was the motherboard but usually hard drive although if yer usin an ssd I dunno if they give the same issues

E2A just noticed ye said it doin the same when your in the bios so could be M/B 

Edited by McHazy

Those batteries are not rechargeable. As someone else said, unplug everything from the board you can (hdd, cd rom, graphics card) and see if it still goes off after 30 secs. That'll narrow it down. Do you have a spare PSU?

• Like 1

All the watch battery on the motherboard does is keep the basic menu options from the bios powered like what drive to boot from etc, if that’s gone it just doesn’t remember those and starts as set from the factory

Edited by Dookie

Whatever it was it has stopped doing it. I just switched it on after 3 hours -  it remained on while I left it at the 'start Windows normally' page then through the loading and is now sat there like nothing happened. WTF?