Think fast quick to show sex?

Surfer Joe

I have 3 think fast plants that are still on 20/4 veg cycle but they all have quite a few female pistils already sprouting from the tiny calyxes.

I have always had to wait about 5 days after turning the lights to a 12/12 flower cycle to see such little pistils on a plant and feel confident that they are female.

Is this normal for a think fast plant? They are 28 days from seed sprouting in soil.

Will the flowering time also be accelerated? It's been my experience that most strains require about 9 weeks of flower (some have gone over 12 weeks).

Edited by Surfer Joe

Hi @Surfer Joe In my opinion 28 days is about the right time that any photoperiod show sex, i never put them on 12/12 to sex them and they still show sex at around the 4 week timeframe, the fastest plant i've ever grew revealed at around 3 weeks but it had no bearing on how fast the plant was harvested.

I don't think that when a plant reveals sex it has any indication on how fast it will finish, as you say generally most canna takes 8 - 12 weeks of 12/12.

All the best.

• Like 2

Thanks. It's just that I've never seen this before.

I usually let plants veg for 4-5 weeks and I never saw any sign of pistils before on a photoperiod until after I had switched to 12/12, and then it was always several days before they even appeared and I could relax that they weren't males.  

Edited by Surfer Joe

@Surfer Joe Yes you will find most photoperiods (hybrids anyway) show sex at around the 4 week mark just under a normal veg routine with no 12/12 required. I'm not sure if a 100% sativa would show sex at around the same time though because i know some of those are very long in flowering something like 20 weeks. I'm sure someone will enlighten us though?