OLaC's Cannabis Photography / Art thread

OLaC

Thought Id start this thread to follow the progress in my quest to try and make Images of Cannabis that I'd like to hang on my wall.

I have lots of ideas of different styles and techniques that i want to try, Its going to be a process and I'm not expecting to nail the images straight out of the gate. I mainly photograph using natural light so just learning to use indoor/studio lighting is a mission in itself.

These first images were shot in the tent as I have a screen installed so was unable to take the plants out.  I didn't want the images to seem like they were in a tent so I cobbled together a diffuser for a small led flashlight, and shot these in pitch black with the camera in Bulb mode and carefully light painted the parts of the plant i wanted to show up in the image. These will be the "out of the darkness" collection lol

the original images were over 11mb Quality has been lost in the compression.

first up LA kush Cake by Seed Junky Genetics

large.danabis420.jpg

• Like 15

Great images @OLaC, with my phone's brightness maxed and a bit of zoom those pictures look great, I bet they'd be fantastic in HD on a decent screen :yep:

• Like 2

Thanks mate, really appreciated. it definitely makes a difference viewing them in high Res on a big screen.

Its always a struggle editing dark images as everyone views the  on different screens with varying levels of brightness. I usually drop my monitor brightness down a bit when editing but after uploading and viewing on my phone I realised I could barely see anything until I whacked the brightness up lol

• Like 2

Thanks mate, im trying to emulate Rembrandts style, single light source so  chuffed with that feedback amte. still needs some work but fairly happy with these as first attempts and hopefully will just get better from here fingers crossed.

looking forward to taking a few more shots of these girls after the chop so I haven't got to work inside a cramped tent lol

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

took my macro lens into the tent last night as the slurricanes coming to an end and was looking pretty photogenic with all its purples coming through.

This is a single image using a technique where you shoot through foliage sitting so close to lens that it obscures the bokeh but allowing a big enough gap to get the subject in focus. it was shot beneath the canopy focusing on a lower bud that was lit well.large.SLURRICANE_.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys, im currently recovering from having four of my wisdom teeth out Tuesday, trying to distract myself by taking some pics, got a couple more to add later when I'm no so groggy off the painkillers lol

1 hour ago, OLaC said:

and a final 1:1 macro focus stack of the slurricane. 

large.SLURRICANE_-3.jpg

This is close to harvest, very pretty pistols with purple flowers to compliment the hard work that goes into minding these plants. 

• Like 1