Polytunnel for next year.

Arshlay

Right folks, I'm thinking of buying a polytunnel for next year. Firstly because of the protection it brings and secondly because the Mrs is getting paranoid of there being plants in the garden with many windows that can see into it. I've had to move the plants behind the shed now. It gives them great sunshine up until 3 4ish but their first location was even better giving them sunshine until about 7ish. Are poly tunnels sort of opaque so noone knows what's in there? Do people have good success with them. Cheers. 

My first year growing in a green woven style polytunnel and so far so good. They all larger than normal and it's almost impossible to see what's inside. The only one issue I can see is air circulation and the stems arnt as thick as my previous grows.  Just my 2 cents 

• Like 2

poly tunnel covers vary depending on the style. Some are completely clear but the diffused covers are more opaque. You can stand next to my tunnel and you wouldn't be able to make out what plant was growing inside, however if the plant touches the cover it becomes very clear what it is so I do have to be a bit careful. Depending on if you want something a bit more permanent look at building your own, its not difficult and its much cheaper than a kit. You can see my cover in the pics, its a diffused anti drip cover.large.IMG-20190802-WA0014-480x360.jpglarge.IMG-20190802-WA0017-480x360.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers folks I was looking at the 50 odd quid ebay ones. Think they're 2x3m with the green chequered weave on them. The material looks strong, my only concern with these are the heat inside them in the middle of summer. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Arshlay said:

Cheers folks I was looking at the 50 odd quid ebay ones. Think they're 2x3m with the green chequered weave on them. The material looks strong, my only concern with these are the heat inside them in the middle of summer. 

I have exactly that one, it has zippable doors on each end. I left them open during the extreme heat this summer, had no stress other the soil drying up quick.

Anchor that bastard down though, In another life it must of been a kite.

Edited by KuJa
  • Like 4

Another question. Do these have a floor in them? I wouldn't want the grass making it too humid if it was a bare floor. 

3 minutes ago, Arshlay said:

Another question. Do these have a floor in them? I wouldn't want the grass making it too humid if it was a bare floor. 

Grass won't make it humid mate, you'll need to cover the floor with weed suppression or weeds will grow

The ground in a poly tunnel will dry out mostly so the grass wont grow ime, only couch grass

• Like 2