Auto Gorilla and Auto Cookies getting tested.....hard!!

bigbadbudboi

Thanks to the amazing generosity of Dinafem and the awesomeness of @Dinafem-Mark I am once again going to try and grow some autos to their full potential. So far this year my efforts have not been up to scratch and I have ended up with mostly stunted plants but after trying a few methods of getting autos ready in pots and then transplanting into the ground I have decided that big pots and no transplants is definitely the way forward! With that in mind I took these seeds....

large.IMG_6090.JPG

And then put them in 20 litre tubs with a mix of humanure, really old sheep manure, worm castings and coco moistened up nicely and 3 days later they look like this...

Auto Gorilla....

large.IMG_6072.JPGlarge.IMG_6086.JPG

Auto Cookies.....

large.IMG_6108.JPG

So they are up and off, the weather is set fair and I'm determined not to fuck them up this time! Hopefully iv got my tactics right now and they will grow like they should and reach their full potential of glorious sticky, stinky buddage! Watch this space eh....

:smokin:

• Like 6

On 19/06/2019 at 1:56 PM, bigbadbudboi said:

Thanks to the amazing generosity of Dinafem and the awesomeness of @Dinafem-Mark I am once again going to try and grow some autos to their full potential. So far this year my efforts have not been up to scratch and I have ended up with mostly stunted plants but after trying a few methods of getting autos ready in pots and then transplanting into the ground I have decided that big pots and no transplants is definitely the way forward! With that in mind I took these seeds....

large.IMG_6090.JPG

And then put them in 20 litre tubs with a mix of humanure, really old sheep manure, worm castings and coco moistened up nicely and 3 days later they look like this...

Auto Gorilla....

large.IMG_6072.JPGlarge.IMG_6086.JPG

Auto Cookies.....

large.IMG_6108.JPG

So they are up and off, the weather is set fair and I'm determined not to fuck them up this time! Hopefully iv got my tactics right now and they will grow like they should and reach their full potential of glorious sticky, stinky buddage! Watch this space eh....

:smokin:

One of the first Auto Cookies and Auto Gorilla grows up and running on UK420  :yep:

So glad the seeds arrived safe and sound mate and can't wait to see what you can do with these 2 new additions to the Dinafem family  ;)

Let's do this  :headbang:

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 1

I'm on it this time and determined to do the new family members proud! Thanks again @Dinafem-Mark for the chance to try out the latest in your amazing range of strains, iv got a good feeling about these 2 :hippy:

A quick update on the first week of growth, the babies are coming on well and happy in their big pots. Temps have been great and even had a little bit of rain this week so its been good growing weather. The Gorilla is a bit ahead of the Cookies but both are growing well, im looking forward to the next few weeks and them getting a growth spurt on, here are some progress pics 1 week since germination in da nation situation...

Auto Gorilla... 

large.IMG_6168.JPGlarge.IMG_6169.JPG

Auto Cookies...

large.IMG_6170.JPGlarge.IMG_6172.JPG

And a group shot with a Critical Jack that was sown on the same day...

large.IMG_6174.JPG

All ticking along nicely, they've had a little bit of seaweed solution in their water and iv been giving them a little drink every couple of days and so far one foliar spray of seaweed as well. Ready to go for it :rockon:

• Like 3

On 01/07/2019 at 10:13 PM, bigbadbudboi said:

All ticking along nicely, they've had a little bit of seaweed solution in their water and iv been giving them a little drink every couple of days and so far one foliar spray of seaweed as well. Ready to go for it :rockon:

Ticking along great at this early stage ;)

Nice update mate, keep them coming  :yep:

Mark..

• Like 1

Hi @badbillybob I am growing these strains at the moment too though I don’t have your experience.  I was wondering about the covering the soil in bark chips in your photos and if it was to keep pests away or hold dampness in and hopes you would explain as I would love to learn more.  Seeweed sounds like a nice organic option.   How much are you giving and is that like a start seedling thing of any vegging state or a root thing?   I am looking forward to seeing how someone who knows what they are doing does with the same strains as me and learning a bit as I watch if that’s ok. 

• Like 2

On 05/07/2019 at 11:17 PM, Happyeccentric said:

Hi @badbillybob I am growing these strains at the moment too though I don’t have your experience.  I was wondering about the covering the soil in bark chips in your photos and if it was to keep pests away or hold dampness in and hopes you would explain as I would love to learn more.  Seeweed sounds like a nice organic option.   How much are you giving and is that like a start seedling thing of any vegging state or a root thing?   I am looking forward to seeing how someone who knows what they are doing does with the same strains as me and learning a bit as I watch if that’s ok. 

@bigbadbudboi This ones for you matey  :yep:

Mark..

• Like 1

@Happyeccentric  Hey man sorry for the delay getting back to you, the purpose of the chippings on top of the soil is for a few reasons. Firstly it helps prevent evaporation so less watering needed, secondly helps maintain more constant soil temperatures and thirdly because I use my own compost it helps suppress the growth of any undesired seeds that may have survived the composting process and germinate. It probably helps with some pests as well, all in all well worth a few centimetres of chippings! Iv got my own chipper and use aged broom and pine needles mostly to make the chippings which will eventually break down into more soil to grow more plants!! :yep:

I mostly use the seaweed as a foliar because used as a spray it goes a long way and you can see how much the plants like it but when plants are starting out I like to give them a little bit to the roots because its like steroids for plants! It contains loads of micronutrients and auxins and stuffs what make plants super happy, boosts chlorophyll in leaves, promotes root growth all the good shit! I use this one and rate it very highly, put some w's in front of this for more info...  sea-chem.co.uk/pages/shropshire-seaweed  (hope that's ok mods?!)    I only use a a few drops in a litre from germination until final pots/planting out and then its 12ml per 5 litres of water (I only need 2 litres for 8 big plants) as a foliar every 2 weeks. The day after a spray they are reaching for the sun and you can almost hear em growing!!

Hope that helps, any other questions fire away mate, thanks for looking in and best of luck with your Dinafem adventures. I certainly admire you northern latitude growers and wish you sunshine like you've never known before! All the best :hippy:

• Like 2

Thanks so much!!! As a beginner I find the information on nutes overwhelming and I think that sounds like a simplified plan for me.  That's amazing having your own chipper I admires the outdoorsy vibe

Fits in nice with a guerilla grow 

• Like 2

On 24/06/2019 at 2:08 PM, Dinafem-Mark said:

One of the first Auto Cookies and Auto Gorilla grows up and running on UK420  :yep:

So glad the seeds arrived safe and sound mate and can't wait to see what you can do with these 2 new additions to the Dinafem family  ;)

Let's do this  :headbang:

Mark..

@Dinafem-Mark I'm currently growing auto cookies and gorilla but from royal Queen seeds, what's the difference between those and dinafem? Apologies for my ignorance, I've never got my head fully around the breeders, strains, seed bank thing completely.

Regardless they still seem to be doing very well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Happyeccentric said:

Thanks so much!!! As a beginner I find the information on nutes overwhelming and I think that sounds like a simplified plan for me.  That's amazing having your own chipper I admires the outdoorsy vibe

Fits in nice with a guerilla grow 

Really if you've got good compost and enough of it then you shouldn't have to feed plants much at all. The only other thing I use is a little bit of Biobizz Fishmix for all the trace elements but I could probably get away with not using it or using nettle tea instead. I do use a bit of comfrey tea and urine for the flowering stage because they are free and contain good levels of P and K but that's it. Costs bugger all this way and I get plenty of awesome tasting, clean burning buds :yep:  

I moved to Portugal a few years ago to take on a 22 acre farm that had been half neglected so the chipper was one of the first things I got! It's been brilliant and really helped with clearing the land which in turn reduced the fire risk. It's helped me to make the cover material for dry compost toilets to responsibly deal with all our toilet waste and make a shit load of compost, winner winner!  

• Like 1

Well it's been a couple of weeks since my last update and the girls are coming on nicely and I think soon they will start to stretch out a bit. Daytime temps have been getting into the high 30's and could push 40c this weekend but iv been giving them a weak foliar spray of seaweed and a little to the roots a couple of times a week to help them cope with heat. 

Here is their progress one week on from the last post and a week ago from today...

large.IMG_6250.JPG

And here they are this morning...

large.IMG_6325.jpg

A couple of Auto Gorilla pics. Growing well and iv removed the bottom growth on her in the 2nd pic to try and promote a bit more upward growth....

large.IMG_6326.jpglarge.IMG_6341.jpg

And the Auto Cookies a bit behind but if the growth spurt on the OG Kush Auto's iv got is anything to go by she could be just about to start going for it!

large.IMG_6327.jpglarge.IMG_6340.jpg

I'm giving them a little drink every couple of days and they seem happy with that. All looking good and I'm hoping for another week of good growth before they start thinking about flowering. 

Thanks for looking in, I'll report back in another couple of weeks!

• Like 3

On 10/07/2019 at 7:17 AM, smoke75 said:

@Dinafem-Mark I'm currently growing auto cookies and gorilla but from royal Queen seeds, what's the difference between those and dinafem? Apologies for my ignorance, I've never got my head fully around the breeders, strains, seed bank thing completely.

Regardless they still seem to be doing very well.

The main difference would have been genetics used, I'm not sure what strains RQS has at their disposal but as it's a big industry they could easily be working from the same genetics we are especially GSC and GG strains ;)

Then again they could be working with totally different cuts/phenos of the above mentioned genetics  :yep:

@bigbadbudboi These 2 new Autoflowering additions to the Dinafem girl's look to be loving the outdoor life  ;)

Nice update mate :yep:

Mark..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all, so the plants have been cruising along nicely all this time, apologies for the lack of updates so far but my camera broke and I had to borrow one and then take a degree in photography just to use the bloody thing! :wallbash:Ended up taking hundreds of terrible photos and then having to sort through them all to find acceptable ones, it's taken me ages to get them all sorted but i'm ready now for a decent catch up.

The 2 plants couldn't be more different in terms of structure and needs. The Gorilla has got tall with large internode spacing and is always hungry while the Cookies has stayed short with tight nodes and lots of branching and budsites and has not required the same amount of nutes or as regular watering.

The Gorilla really surprised me with her stretch and hunger, I haven't really had to feed any of the other autos much but she started to show signs of nitrogen deficiency in the first week of flower and I have struggled to keep her green but there's some nice nuggets developing on her now and starting to get frosty. Here are some pics of her 1 week after the last pictures...

large.IMG_6431.JPGlarge.IMG_6432.JPG

And the Cookies a week on...

large.IMG_6434.JPGlarge.IMG_6435.JPG

And a group shot with the Critical Jack that I started at the same time...

large.IMG_6429.JPGlarge.IMG_6430.JPG

So a good stretch and looking decent although a little pale for my liking, fast forward a week and here they are a week or so into the flowering stage. First up the mighty Gorilla, apologies for the photo quality :bag:...

large.DSC_0084.JPGlarge.DSC_0085.JPG

And the Cookies....

large.DSC_0073.JPGlarge.DSC_0072.JPG

And a group shot...

large.DSC_0090.JPG

A bit slower into flower than the Critical Jack but iv started to realise just what a Ferrari in the auto world the Critical Jack is! Iv done 3 CJ's this year and all ready in under 70 days, that's fooking quick! 

Right then lets fast forward just over a week and here the girls are budding up nicely although this is when the Gorilla was starting to growl with hunger! The stretch had mostly stopped at this point and I started to feed a bit of fish mix, urine and fermented comfrey juice to try and keep them happy. The Gorilla up first and most impressive auto size wise iv grown so far...

large.5d50f2cd5d940_DSC_0120(2).JPGlarge.5d50f2bf2a8ac_DSC_0123(2).JPGlarge.5d50f2acd1aaf_DSC_0125(2).JPG 

And the Cookies, half the size but loads of budsites...

large.5d50f30ea6f24_DSC_0098(2).JPGlarge.5d50f2fc8fee7_DSC_0100(3).JPGlarge.5d50f2f4c433d_DSC_0103(3).JPG

And a group shot....

large.5d50f28db0138_DSC_0094(3).JPG

Fast forward another week and the girls have continued developing nicely and the Cookies has started to give off a deliciously sweet pastry odour, really looking forward to tasting her! No real smell from the Gorilla yet but looks like she's got a way to go yet. Here she is a week on...

large.5d50f399ee196_DSC_0077(5).JPGlarge.5d50f3750e9f1_DSC_0082(5).JPGlarge.5d50f361e43f4_DSC_0086(3).JPG

And the Cookies...

large.5d50f38ce28bd_DSC_0080(4).JPGlarge.5d50f33fc3aab_DSC_0093(3).JPG

So that's how they were as of the start of last week, they've come on a lot since then, the Critical Jack looks done and I think il chop that today but the Cookies needs another week at or so and the Gorilla another 2 or more, no worries it's been great this year having a plant a week come down and then getting to try something new a week or 2 later!

I will do another catch up in a couple of weeks as the kids are on school holidays now and i'm gonna have my hands full! The weather here is still in the 30's and no sign of rain so they should finish well. 

Apologies again @Dinafem-Mark  for the lack of updates so far and for the picture quality, im just staring to get some better shots with this camera so will hopefully capture them better for the final flower show. All the best on your grows everyone :bong:

• Like 4

I'm growing both strains germinated around the same time as yours so thinking mine might start flowering soon.  Loving watching this 

• Like 2