Light dep tarpaulin humidity?

Rick Grimes

I’ve seen the Americans using the huge fully environment controlled automated light dep greenhouses, but I’ve also seen much smaller personal and small scale commercial growers using tarps that they manually pull over greenhouses or pull over hoops that sit over the plant beds. 

My question is in the smaller scale grows doesn’t the humidity and temperatures go through the roof when the tarps are pulled over? the ones I’ve seen don’t appear to have extraction systems so how do they avoid massive amounts of bud rot?

Humidity will increase. They use extractor fans which are often at floor level. Maybe you missed them? As for temps, they tend to use white/reflective sheets to stop plants cooking and are often only depriving it of morning/evening sun when it’s cooler. Also extraction will aid in keeping temps down! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnxiousPlanter said:

Nice picture, lots of likes, what does it answer? 

I just liked your post if that makes you feel any better? :rofl:

The pic actually has a lot of answers and ideas that might benefit someone considering light dep.  Who ever came up with the design had obviously put some thought into it.

23 hours ago, Amarillo slim said:

large.5cf3f194a957a_Lightdep.png

Nice picture, lots of likes, what does it answer? 

32 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

I just liked your post if that makes you feel any better? :rofl:

The pic actually has a lot of answers and ideas that might benefit someone considering light dep.  Who ever came up with the design had obviously put some thought into it.

I thought the thread was about humidity and temp control. Not how to set up a rail system to save pulling sheets. 

40 minutes ago, AnxiousPlanter said:

Not how to set up a rail system to save pulling sheets. 

I can't see humidity being a massive problem with the pictured set up.  Plants in pots out in the day, can be watered in the mornings so any run off, transpiration etc is all outside, they're using white black out material and as you say its generally only going to be for a few hours morning/evening when things a cooler.  Little extractor or dehumidifier maybe, I probably wouldn't bother unless started to become an issue.   Obviously genetics shouldn't be over looked, this was definitely a big factor when I used to run light dep.  

Edited by Amarillo slim