Your fishing day

Owderb

Has been an awesome fishing year for me so far.

Have got the bug again, after many years of neglecting my oldest hobby.

Started the year trying small/finesse lure fishing, dropshotting, etc for Perch.

Never really tried this type of fishing before, other than spinning for Pike, but I have to say it is addictive... even if I am still terrible at it, and lost more lures than I catch fish, I love the mobile/travel light approach as I have no car currently.

This has led to a resurgence in me going out further afield, exploring new places, I even bought a mountain bike and developed a small expertise in UK rail networks to extend my range.

I actually went on a solo bike ride around Wales at one point in the summer, and caught my first ever Grayling from a small stream!

large.Grayling.jpg.90d80989589d29712f643

Still yet to manage a Barbel, I am determined I will catch a Barbel soon, it is the only "common" UK species I have never caught before, and am strict about it having to come from a river!

Perch and Pike season is almost upon us again, cannot wait!

In the meantime, I am off for an afternoon at an old place I used to fish as a kid, spend my day off with a rod intended for Tench, smoking increasingly fat joints whilst nursing an ever decreasing hangover!

Edited by audioaddict
Fish!
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just had the worst salmon season ever. Three fish hooked and lost....three fish hooked and landed. Best was this chunky hen fish on a wee flamethrower double.large.20231016_114102.jpg

Between 12 and 14lb is a safe bet...check the girth on her tail....I've got big hands...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You had a better season than me, @Salty. Some folks have worse luck . I caught a 5lb grilse in July, but worked very hard and spent a lot of money on permits for ''prestigious'' rivers divided into beats. I don't like the gentry element but it's dying fast. It's either don't pay and you'll probably save a fortune, probably won't meet a fisheries officer but you will be paranoid and looking up and down the river bank every minute or two. 

I bought that Shakespeare Sigma 7' you recommended. It's very whippy, a noodle but not a bad back up rod when travelling. I am surprised that it was only 50 or 60 quid. Twenty five years ago, the same blank would have been top of the range, just a soft action. I lost a fine sea trout on it, landed loads of salmon smolts the same day. My six year old landed a 3/4lb trout on it, using a worm, so it paid for itself after that. I got a decent 7' rod from JP Ross and it's seriously accurate to cast. A magic wand. 

I'm annoyed though with waders, and the spending in general, buying them every two years and they're always letting water in after just a few outings. I won't take the chance on wellington type waders because the wellington part is bulky and only fat feet fit! Full neoprene is heavy and never fit snugly unless you've a wide frame. I might try/buy womens waders. I try repair them but that doesn't always work, tubes of aquaseal and there's no avoiding briars. I've had Orvis. Leeda, Greys, Scierra, all shite, but all of them in or around 200quid,which is enough money. I'm not supposed to be getting pneumonia again either, doctors orders! 

I also got an old, well unused, Sharpes of Aberdeen 10' Gordon 1 rod and I was surprised at how nice it felt, even though it's outdated. I broke the tip with a squally wind and a heavy bead head fly, so I'm waiting to get that replaced. I can't Spey cast very well, not too keen on very long rods or heavy tackle. Although I see fellas throwing twice my length of line and they're not killing themselves, but they are poised in an awkward, forward leaning position. Some folks strip line fast or fiddle every other way with the fly. Some switch rods aren't Spey rods, the hybrid hasn't the belly. Not one thing or the other. 

I've never fished for Spring salmon. I get the national licence every year anyway so might as well try this February. I've whipped up 45 or 50 flashy salmon flies, hair wing types mostly. 

Edited by Michael Luchóg

• 2 months later...

Just got back into fly fishing after a 30 year absence.

Had a lesson on casting and it all came back pretty quickly I did not want to spend a fortune on rods so got the Shakespeare sigma 9,6  7 weight and a maxicatch  8,6  4 weight (went for there best one £140)for dry fly and river.

I was impressed with the Shakespeare for the price it was better than the Hardy previously owned.

The maxi catch was a big disappointment and went back to china in 5 pieces.

Went fishing last Wednesday on a 3 hour sport(still a bit cold for longer)got a 3lb rainbow and lost 2.

• Like 1