Lemon Zkittle in NFT

GreenPirate

I've got 3 different seeds popped, then doubled up cuts on each so 6 in total placed in a 424 NFT tray.

Anyone know the maximum height these get to? 1st week of flower and I think they are gonna cause me some height issues if they carry on the way they are!

All 3(6) are almost identical besides one that is a bit of a side branching animal but the canopy is nice and even at the moment. I've got 1 in soil next to the tray that was 4 weeks ahead in veg so I can see the difference on what she likes/don't like between hydro and soil, plus she is there as a safety net if the NFT goes tits up. 1st week of flower after 1 week veg and the NFT tray has caught up with everything else in the room and these were a quarter the size of everything else when 1st put in.

The rate these are growing at they are also causing me some serious humidity issues, they are drinking through 15-20 litres from the tank and chucking it out into the room. 12l dehumidifier can't keep up!!

I've got 6-7ft max headroom before i'll have to start bending these about.. just need to know how tall they get when let loose?

Guess i'm the guinea pig with NFT then,

Cuts were kept on water and half strength Formulex.

1 week to put their roots down in the tray in 4" rockwool cubes with added rooting booster,

Canna Aqua Vega A+B (started at 0.7 EC background 0.3-0.4), slowly raised to 1.0 once established and knew they could take it. (PH somewhere between 5.8-6.2)

1-2 week veg, I think I might skip this part if I run them again to keep them smaller but could be down to a new room and sorting the conditions!

Canna Aqua Vega A+B, EC 1.0 slowly raised to 1.3 but had to back off due to the room not being right (high temps, high humidity)

1st week of flower

Canna Aqua Vega A+B EC 1.2, PH 5.8 - 6.2

Flushed at end of 1st week of 12/12 with pure water

Where i'm at now, i'd really call this 1st week of flower as tops are starting to poke through, 1st pre flowers are showing, things are about to speed up and still stretch a bit (would have been nice to know how high these get!?):

Canna Aqua Flores A+B EC 0.9, PH 6.0 and slowly being lowered to 5.8.

I'll watch the EC, I know it's going to go down overnight, depending on how much it comes down is how much i'll turn it up with a top up and how much they can take before complaining.

Multi room grow - Space Cake front left, Lemon Zkittle back left - both in soil. Next in line, 6 Lemon Zkittles in NFT.. in the background Panik's Dosidos photobombing the NFT.

large_LZ1.jpg.c56026656ee8c47fb1883ab845

Edited by GreenPirate
added Pic
  • Like 2

Just like I thought, EC went down to 0.7 - 0.8.

Adjusted it too 1.0 and we'll see where she sits after that, all the others in soil got a 10% dose of Canna Terra just to show them what flower fert looks and tastes like. Over the next few months i'll hit them with a mixture of Seaweed from Vitax as its reasonably priced and local, Canna Terra Flores at low strengths and some Black Magic which is also cheap and local and always works well on my plants in the garden.

Humidity still through the roof but temps are bang on, Panik's Dodidos wants to stomp all over them and I thought these Zkittlez were supposed to get too a reasonable size!

I guess Dutch Passion are sleeping on my original question.. "how big do these get in NFT?"

Fert lockout due to a friggin old PH meter, should have grabbed a new one before this grow but like a prick, I kept it!

Old PH meter, in the buffer 7.0 in the tank 5.9

New PH meter, in the buffer 7.0 in the tank 6.7

Mother fuc.....

I knew something was up when the soil was beating the NFT, i'll post up a pic and show the effects of a PH lockout (and high humidity) in the NFT when the EC is spot on. Loads of Nitrogen available, nice dark green plants, very slow in changing over to flower and the budsites/plants have stretched way too much compared to the sister in the soil.

Picture coming, I hate stupid issues like this when they are not 100% my screw up, meh meh and meh!

large.5c7b0eed4f5c2_LemonZkittleSoil(1).

^^^ In soil Cut #1, flower sites starting to show up nicely, nice node spacing.

large.5c7b0ef55e708_LemonZkittleNFTslowf

^^^ Cuts #1 #2 #3,  two of the #1 are at the back, then #2 in the middle #3 nearest the camera.

I would have expected these all to have jumped ahead of the soil at least by a little bit, even with a few more hairs, this is where I started to notice something was wrong.

EC fine and stable, PH looked fine even on my very old freshly buffered PH pen. No obvious issues, nice and green, then you start to look at the node spacing, these should have matched the sister plant but they don't, they have left the main stem and want to stretch themselves. Leaf edges want to curl even though the room is now dialed in better, the EC is not dropping in the tank so it reads like their happy but they are turning the leaves up while looking for something in the tank that is locked out due to such a high PH.

I might be able to save this and pull off a decent sized crop BUT only if I can fill that node spacing at the top.. and that be a big IF, also if something else was to fuck up yeild and quality is lost. 

Hit the right happy medium in NFT and it'll go quick, very quick! get it wrong and not notice in time, it can fuck up just as quick!

The love and hate relationship with NFT <3

Short story, upgrade your shit if it looks old and you have doubts about it, don't know why I trusted an old meter in NFT when I could see things going wrong.

• Like 1

I haven't grown these out myself yet but I have some cuts from a mate. I had a tester of the final product and it was blinding stuff, hence why I nicked the cuts!! He grew his in a hydro set up and she turned out to be an unruly girl. She needed a lot of support, especially towards the end of flower. Good luck with these, I'll tag along!

• Like 1

Done 3 grows with Lemon zkittles, lovely strain stinks to the high heavens after 2 weeks in jars. Good yield too

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 2:03 AM, bearukc said:

I haven't grown these out myself yet but I have some cuts from a mate. I had a tester of the final product and it was blinding stuff, hence why I nicked the cuts!! He grew his in a hydro set up and she turned out to be an unruly girl. She needed a lot of support, especially towards the end of flower. Good luck with these, I'll tag along!

She is much more managable if the roots are confined to a pot, might be better with CoCo?! the NFT feels like it is giving it too much space for the roots and they want to use it... also my PH was way out, it's very likely I caused a lot of my own stretch on this grow but if you are saying they go for it, I feel kinda more happy about the situation.

After correcting the PH, 48 hours later, another 5-6" of growth.. she's not finished going for it, this lot will be hitting the roof but i'll hold my hand up to part of that.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:32 AM, K-dawg said:

Done 3 grows with Lemon zkittles, lovely strain stinks to the high heavens after 2 weeks in jars. Good yield too

That is good to hear, only downside for me on this grow, someone gave me some a few weeks back.. was a little racey for my needs, I might have to let her go quite far to calm that down a bit, or his was chopped really early. Had the whole double heart beat skip with it, had me on edge with the fibro problems instead of numbing it. We'll see but I have a feeling i'll only be running her once or twice just for my own needs if his was anything to go by.

• Like 1

After the lockout comes the headaches, EC gone through the roof, they want water now. They pulled it up to 1.4 over night and drank a whole load of water.

Lowered the EC to 0.9-1.0, i'll check again in the morning, whichever way they swing i'll give them 0.1-0.2 the other way. No clawing, leaves are still nice and flat.. just a few burnt tips so it's not toxic and must have caught it in time.

Thrips have entered the room somehow, i'll be dealing with that over the next few days, fungus gnats as well.. yay! At least the fungus gnats are stupid and go for the sticky traps, i'll add some Nematodes as advised by a member here to kill them in the soil :) and grab some thrip predators while i'm at it.

I'm stripping the room down at the end of this so I can have a proper clean up. For now, the natural way should do enough to get me to the end without spraying.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:14 PM, GreenPirate said:

She is much more managable if the roots are confined to a pot, might be better with CoCo?! the NFT feels like it is giving it too much space for the roots and they want to use it... also my PH was way out, it's very likely I caused a lot of my own stretch on this grow but if you are saying they go for it, I feel kinda more happy about the situation.

After correcting the PH, 48 hours later, another 5-6" of growth.. she's not finished going for it, this lot will be hitting the roof but i'll hold my hand up to part of that.

That is good to hear, only downside for me on this grow, someone gave me some a few weeks back.. was a little racey for my needs, I might have to let her go quite far to calm that down a bit, or his was chopped really early. Had the whole double heart beat skip with it, had me on edge with the fibro problems instead of numbing it. We'll see but I have a feeling i'll only be running her once or twice just for my own needs if his was anything to go by.

The best run I had with these I let go nearly 10 weeks, by mistake,  packed on alot of weight and i felt the flavour was much better too.  

• Like 1

I'll see how far they want to go, if all is good, i'll let them go as far as they can.

Thanks @K-dawg

i'll put up some pics later, they have turned into proper stretchy beasts since the PH screw up. They are dragging the tank all over the place, mainly up in EC. I set 1.1, next morning 1.3-1.4.

I'm gonna battle this one to the end due that friggin meter and I wish i'd have flowered from the minute they almost went in.

The soil plant of cut#1 is happy and producing some nice tops coming through, the same cut in the NFT is happiest in there. #2 #3 are just to fucking big at the moment. Gonna hit the roof for sure!

• Like 1