Broad or Cyclamen mite damage

smallbeginings

been struggling for about 18months to get a grow to finish, with little to no success.

started with grows finishing but no smell, resin or thc, nothing, then progressively worse, last grow didnt making it past week 3 of flower before all the pistils turned brown died off calyxes shrinking off.

tried to read the plant and react to symptoms, plants were looking immature, nothing like they should do at certain weeks. have changed light, ballast, soil, nutes. after all that still the same issues, so i can only be something the plants all get, light (been changed works fine), nutes (fresh bottles all good), water been the same through out never changed, so done some research found out im in a very high hard water area over 332.6 mg/l, this may be an issues so will be using rainwater from now on

current grow has alot of deformed leaves and small white spheres on the stems, havent found any on the leaves. 

can some1 identify these for me please, guy at my local grow shop has been a massive help, spent 3-4 hrs with me today going over treatments how, when, why, and gave me aload of free samples to try, a neem oil and citrus mix which i need to add peppermint extract to, and a mite powder to spread about, samples of nuke em and z7 which ive already started to use, plus a few other bits. plus spent time explaining and giving me loads of info. 

on showing him the pics hes was 80% they were eggs of either broad mite or cyclamen mite,  but wasnt sure,  on further research im unsure completely as to what they are, theres a lot of evidence that points towards they are suppose to be there, but because of the numbers there are it has me worried that they are mite eggs, though i havent found a mite yet!!

leaf damage

large.IMG_9045.jpglarge.IMG_9046.jpglarge.IMG_9047.jpglarge.IMG_9057.jpg

fresh new leaf, back side

large.IMG_9061.jpglarge.IMG_9062.jpglarge.IMG_9063.jpg

from the stem of the plant near the top. white egg shapes or bulbous or capitate sessile trichome??

large.IMG_9064.jpglarge.IMG_9065.jpglarge.IMG_9068.jpglarge.IMG_9066.jpglarge.IMG_9067.jpg 

• 2 months later...

@smallbeginings

How did you get on ?

Pretty sure I've had a visit from either Broad mites/russet mites/cyclamen mites.

deformed leafs , leaf damage , found eggs like yours on the under side of leaf but never seen a live mite. Seen a white patch on a leaf that I thought was PM. But from research looks like what they look like when they gain in numbers ....

i binned all my plants and I'm going to wait a few weeks as apparently they need a host plant to survive ....

was considering buying that Nuke em stuff , some sort of neem etc  and maybe some sort  fumer.

just wondered how effective that Nuke em stuff is ? 

Any advice would be welcome 

• Like 1

You'll only get those kind of mites from bringing in infected material.

And generally only on clones originating from the states.

If your getting clones from the same source over and over then it's a possibility...

If your growing from seed each time I'd say it's something your doing rather than mites of any description.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

If your getting clones from the same source over and over then it's a possibility...

If your growing from seed each time I'd say it's something your doing rather than mites of any description.

From my research thats utter bollocks @stu sleeper 20vt

Broad mites russet mites have been in the UK since the 1930s , It is more likely to get them from Clones or infected material i agree but to say !You'll only get those kind of mites from bringing in infected material." is utter crap

if you'd bother to just put in russet mites UK google

"

21/10 Russet Mite. Infestations of russet mite (Aculops lycopersici) are becoming increasingly common in UK tomato crops. The presence of these tiny mites is often overlooked until damage becomes severe in localised areas. However, by then, the mites will be much more widely distributed.21 Oct 2010"

So no they dont have to originate from the US either. They are a lot smaller then spider mites 0.01mm and can latch on to other flying insects or simply be carried on the wind or through contaminated substrate on your clothes or  via a pet.
And no i dont use or have never used clones and i haven't brought in any other plants straight from seed.

Sorry if i sound :furious: but telling me i dont have something when you dont have all the information is kinda :thumbdown:
Not that i even asked if i had them or not.
was more how kill any remaining mites /eggs before i started again.
if you've had them and defeated them 'id like to know what you used and what strategy if you'd be so kind.

If you want all the information i will quite happily tell you , pics included.
along with any other info you request.
but say i dont have them based on what i wrote above isn't that helpful, i can appreciate they are rare and its unlikely but they fit all they symptoms i've researched And if you have a better more likely culprit I'm all ears.
This is not yet a re occurring issue. i've never seen such symptoms prior to this and i'd rather not again. to be honest i hope your right and I'm wrong.
the only other thing that came close is TMV and i had a lack of yellow mosaic pattern.

I've had broad mites mate. They were in very very young plants and contrary to how hard they are supposed to be to get rid of a drench of garlic and chilli and placing lots of aromatic herbs around the plants like crushed garlic, chives, coriander, dill, fennel iirc saw them never coming back.

Thank fook.

I'm not 100% the picture above is broad more damage but it's definitely from a nasty. @BarrySHitPeas plants looked a more positive id of symptoms. The leaf damage doesn't strike me as bm damage from what I remember but it's a few years ago I was doing my research now so forgive my hazy memory. I've smoked an awful lot of weed since and slept

• Like 1

See I'm not sure if they are broad mites/russet mites or  cyclamen mites all of which are part of the Tarsonemids mite family and they are all slightly different but treatments are the same.

I will post some more pics later today ,i took of the other plants i put in the other tent and show  rapid decline over 2 days. i believe i caught it some what early.

all my plants at every staged have been binned as they all showed symptoms but i did place a few effected leaves in sand wedge bags to check over , i've yet to do this, if i have time i will give them another look under the scope see if i can find anything alive yet (its been a few days) .

I also took some pics of the under sides of the leafs over the weekend with what could be eggs in the leaf margins I will try upload later.

In the mean time i have 2 tents and all my equipment that needs a serious clean down.

Just ordered some more Pre filters for the carbon filter and  Permethrin based fumer for the tents , Will probably order that nuke em stuff and its organic and does specially list it works on broad mites/russett mites when not much else does but its nearly £50

Struggling to get hold of any more Spinosad, dont want to have to ever use a mectin based product what with growing autos and short veg time.

Hopping just waiting it out will starve them out, longest i've seen they can stick around without out a host is 30 days... some just say a few days ....

On top of all that I'm wanting to go over to coco and starting a auto grow in what will be June indoors is hardly ideal.

So just want to make sure i've done everything i can do to wipe them out and also have some sort of strategy in place if they do come back.

Thanks for having a look @blackpoolbouncer

This was on the Thursday of last week one day before Posting Orginal post in this topic  group shot of all plants.

large.image.jpeg

First sign of damage this was on middle plant front row, thought it was just mild nutrient burn.

large.image.jpeg

what the 2 other plants looked liked  in going into different tent on the Friday

large.image.jpeg

This is more to show how light height isn't to low ,just one 315w at around 25 inchs  canopy temp was 24c 50%RH  measured by the dangling hydrometer large.image.jpeg

The day after the night before  on the Saturday morning .

large.image.jpeg

More leaf anomalies on both larger plants.

large.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeg

large.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeg

Is this Powdery mildew ? or one the of pale spots of mites ?

large.image.jpeg

White spot under magnification

large.WIN_20190505_15_12_31_Pro.jpg

Checked roots on Disposal , no signs of fungus gnats larvae or any other obvious issue.

large.image.jpeg

suspected egg/mite

large.WIN_20190505_12_28_03_Pro.jpglarge.WIN_20190505_12_36_30_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

I weight my pots daily , measure plants daily, check over Hydrometer data logged environmental's daily. over a couple of grows you generally know what should be what, when you compare the data.

The plants on the Friday nosedived like nothing Ive seen before. Transpiration increased massively, growth stopped leafs drooped pics say it all.

Ph was checked 6.6 (not that it was needed ) In Tropic mix

Older plants day 28, week4 Auto strain name Gold glue

Temps range 23.5-24.5c

RH range 45-53%

Intake air 20c-21c (room temp)

Root temps set by thermostat probe inside pot 21-23c warmed by heat Matt

as mentioned above light height was around 25 inchs with just one 315w in my personal experience this is no where near low enough to induce heat stress or the symptoms shown in pics.

So fairly confident that it wasn't environment.

As mentioned binned all plants, as was clear to me something had attacked these plants and was now in both tents. as in previous topic said if they didn't get better I'd bin them so i did.

thinking long term and the brief info i've taken in sometimes its best to cut your losses and not let whatever it is completely takeover, and wasn't sure what it was thats was doing the damage

but after much research the most likely to me is some sort of Tarsonemid & Eriophyid mite ? although I'm open to suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/05/2019 at 5:38 PM, BarrySHitPeas said:

@smallbeginings

How did you get on ?

Pretty sure I've had a visit from either Broad mites/russet mites/cyclamen mites.

deformed leafs , leaf damage , found eggs like yours on the under side of leaf but never seen a live mite. Seen a white patch on a leaf that I thought was PM. But from research looks like what they look like when they gain in numbers ....

i binned all my plants and I'm going to wait a few weeks as apparently they need a host plant to survive ....

was considering buying that Nuke em stuff , some sort of neem etc  and maybe some sort  fumer.

just wondered how effective that Nuke em stuff is ? 

Any advice would be welcome 

i didnt! 

plants grew to finish, under developed again, no thc, no smell, no potency. used mites and sprays but nothing seemed to improve. though i used the s7 stuff on the roots seemed to perk them up but that its job! 

finished my last grow and threw the lot in the bin, cleaned the grow area. heat treated all my equipment and trying again, but not looking good seriously points to 3rd party involvement, somehow!!

Edited by smallbeginings

On 08/05/2019 at 7:14 PM, stu sleeper 20vt said:

only thing i could think of was a bought a 2nd hand 4" fan 

i always grow from seed and keep it clean thoughout my grows, but cant see what im doing wrong, watering and feeding as ive always done

water was an issue so ive moved on to rain water, tap water was 350ppm, rain water is 50ppm

@BarrySHitPeas

thats the dodgy growth i get, never bothered me before, odd bit wasnt a concern, but its been a lot more regular lately, every plant showing them same deformities. 

• Like 1

Yeah they are supposedly one of the harder pests to identify and treat.

Specially as you cant directly see them !

and so easy to to just think its a nutrient or environmental issue  PH or another pest . its only because i was logging everything that grow and could confidently rule things out.

Pretty sure mine are cyclamen mites judging on egg shape, broad's have a pattern  like a cycle of dots ,russet mites have 4 black dots and cyclamen ones  are just clear whitish.

I cleaned my tents , bombed them with Permethrin  , sprayed carpet with Permethrin  spray  left it for a day cleaned room , carpet cleaned , cleaned equipment left it a few days sprayed carpet again then cleaned carpet again.

bought that nuke em stuff , good reviews and you  can use all the way through to harvest  its made from yeast and citric acid also bought some predator mites amblyseius andersoni as a preventative

i've got sachets all round the house  in the tent on the seedlings on equipment on the floor doted around everywhere.

Left it a month with out any plants, just had a seedling come up today .....

I suspect it will be hit again from what i've read they lay eggs everywhere , hopefully with the amount of predator mites I've put out before even growing will beat them back if starting from eggs

then it em with them nuke em stuff.

if that fails then big choices. gutting current grow room or having to start over in another place new gear ... doesn't get much worse as grower

i have no idea where mine came from... never used clones ever , from seed every time , not n contact with any other growers , i keep things clean.

only thing i can think of is just from outside in general. it started around the time of hotter weather in  march/april  we've had thats the time they tend to come out.   i spent time going from garden to grow room so could of caught a ride on me, on a pet  to me via flying bugs etc   there so tiny its hard to say.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 27/12/2020 at 3:56 AM, Spectator said:

Did anyone manage to eradicate them from there grow an update would be awesome 

Russets? I did.  Appreciate this is an old post but I'm going through this again because I foolishly took clones from the same source that infected me previously. 

I got rid of all my plants, all mothers and etc.  I bug bombed the room, then hit everything (the room, all equipment and trays) with 30% bleach.  Following that, I raised temperatures in the room to +40/45 degrees and held for 4 to 5hrs, followed up with another bleaching, then isopropyl.  I also hit the trays again with an anti mite treatment- vertimec 1.8ec, which is the same active ingredient as Avid. 

I managed a run without any russets so I am sure I got rid, then I took a single clone of something special from the same source who originally infected me and today I'm having to go through this process again.  I have caught them early as I can spot the signs better this time around,  but from what I can gather getting rid of all plants and having a major cleanup is the only real way to get rid of these things.