New system idea

Hesketh

Hi lads... as per the title, I've no if this will work... so I'm looking for some input. 

First up, this idea has come about due to some free materials landing at my feet. 

So - on a job I'm working at, there are 4meter lengths of 8 inch ( yes 200mm ) piping ready to be skipped. So this got me thinking that maybe I can use them in a new automated system for my grow room. 

I was thinking that I could suspend the pipe a few foot off the ground with a small incline, at the lowest point place a nutrient tank, from tank pump feed to one end of the pipe ( highest point ) let it feed down the pipe and back into tank. 

cut 4inch net pots in a row evenly spaced, lay rockwool slaps on inside for growing medium.... recirulating system, not sure if I could just set pump to run every few hours or consistently? 

As you can tell, it's a idea that needs work 

any thoughts on how to make this a workable idea 

Oh- here's a 3 ( pipe smaller ) version of what I'm thinking https://goo.gl/images/b7n5Zg

Edited by Hesketh

I'd say everything you've said is spot on other than using rockwool in there.

I'm guessing you could either set it up nft style or flood and drain but I reckon nft style would be simplest to set up and run.  I'd go with it bud.

• 1 month later...

Ok 

So to continue / here's a system I have found a for sale that I'm hoping to copy.

I'm really thinking laying Rockwall slaps in mine as the pipe is bigger and have the system run to waste to combat Ph and other related recirulating system issues