Confumbled by light choices

highlo

Hi guys I've been growing for a few years now and my usual setup is a 1m2 tent 600w hps 5" rvk and rhino Pro filter extraction, unfortunately for the time being I won't be able to set this up where I am staying however a stealth sized set up is doable, I'd rather have some bud than no bud so not expected anything crazy but if I could get 1-2 oz from this set up I'd be happy, what I'm thinking is space bucket style, 1-2 plants one toy box upside down on top of another the same size and scrog net between boxes (or possibly mainline) , plants in the bottom section with some intake holes and lighting in the top box with my 5" extraction set up pushing through the filter drawing from a hole in the top box to allow more growing room, I've got it drawn out for now and will upload a pic ASAP (don't laugh please) lol dimensions are 21"L x 14"W x 36"H. I've worked out my canopy area at just under 2ft squared so I reckon I'm wanting ideally 150w of cfl or equivalent in led, what I'm unsure of is would it be best to go for 4-6 40w cfl bulbs or I've seen some led grow panels, a Mars hydro 240w actual draw is 105w for £85 or a China led panel on an auction site 1000w actual draw is 230w £82, I've never used leds before so I am unsure what heat is like from them and whether the 1000w would be too hot in a box that small? This is mainly just a bit of fun while I can't do a sizeable grow and keep me gardening, thanks for reading.... :smokin: 

@highlo a watt is a watt regardless of weather it’s being put out by hps, led or cmh the same wattage will put out the same heat.

You could go with one of the small panels from site sponsors @diyleduk they should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Like 4

@Jstaff thanks for that, I didn't know that I always assumed hps would have been warmer than led aswell, that's interesting they put out similar heat, I'll have a look at diyleduk lights aswell 

• Like 2

@highlo the actual units themselves will most likely run at different temperatures but my understanding is like I said as far as I know.

@Golden Syrup maybe able to shed some more light on this? (No pun intended)

• Like 2

One of @diyleduk panels or strips with the driver mounted close to the plug might be worth a look. A small gap between your fixture and top of box, could be a nice place for the heat to gather and get pulled out. Much less bulky then a hps bulb and while a watt is a watt regarding heat, how it's spread out and easily managed makes a huge difference from what i have experienced. 

Thanks @Cherry it was the size and positioning that drew me to the led as an option, pretty much as you said heat build up at the top away from the canopy and less risk of burning than the hps in such a tight space, I lost a few buds in the past due to bleaching when they grew too close, I'm not in a mega rush to get started either, I'd rather get a solid plan first then go for it, it's nice I have all the other equipment allready so a suitable light and some seeds are all I really need and I can start to get more self sufficient 

• Like 1

My current space is not far different from what you intend, I've just made my minimax 150hps redundant and replaced it with led from diyleduk (sponsor)

Although a watt is a watt re temps I've used only 140w max with the leds and that was only for the last few weeks of flower, most of the time it's been

dialled down to 100w, temps are considerably lower but the spectrum is far better and the plants love it, easily cleared 1gpw on my first grow with these lights,

that's the way I would go for your space, drop him a tag and he'll advise you better than anyone re leds....default_thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

@stu914 thanks very much mate that sounds ideal, running 100w light and seeing a g/w is amazing I'd be over the moon with that, what light unit did you go for from @diyleduk I had a look on there site but the technical side of the led lights is confusing me a tad, may be easier to just contact them and see what they recommend

• Like 1

He'll pick up your tag and advise the best for you.

I've just noticed your length is 21"...if you can stretch that to 24" (60cm) as I think that's his minimum size.

• Like 2

@stu914 ahh that's a gutter, tbh the top height is probably less than 21 maybe around 19 as its the bottom of a toy box, I suppose I could find bigger boxes but I'm hoping not to spend too much on this set up, not to be cheap just because I already have a grow tent setup which Ill use once I get the right timing and lots of storage boxes for mixing nutrients so was going to use 2 of them, I'm just itching to get seeds in the ground since it takes a while

• Like 1

I think if I had the light allready I would probably just do that but since I can try and get one to fit I may aswell go for that first, thanks mate

Not wanting to rule out the cfls either I found this 7 bulb light holder contraption which I think could be good, maybe if I just do one plant under it mainlined or just heavy lst and toping and position each bulb (20w) nicely I would have 140w of cfl on one plant which I'm guessing would be plenty for the spacelarge.Screenshot_20190116-034021_crop_713x688.png