Coco and airpots

seb88

I've got a few seeds about to sprout and I'm looking for advice/tips on using airpots with coco. On my current grow I used a mix of Coco/perlite, after advice on here I'm planning on ditching the perlite for this crop.

Firstly, how do you fill your airpots? Do you pack the bottom and sides to help when it comes to potting up, so the Coco stays in one piece and doesn't fall apart?

How compact should the Coco be in the pot? Do you give it a gentle press down or leave the Coco fluffy?

Does it sink down much when you water?

I'll be potting up from 1 litre airport > 7 litre airport > final fabric pots.

When you pot up do carefully remove the bottom mesh base from the roots, or do you keep the base and drop it into the next pot.

And finally, when do you pot up? As soon as the roots pass through the mesh base, or give them a little time to football like you would a normal pot?

Sorry for all the q's! Any advice appreciated :smokin:

1 hour ago, seb88 said:

I've got a few seeds about to sprout and I'm looking for advice/tips on using airpots with coco. On my current grow I used a mix of Coco/perlite, after advice on here I'm planning on ditching the perlite for this crop.

Firstly, how do you fill your airpots? Do you pack the bottom and sides to help when it comes to potting up, so the Coco stays in one piece and doesn't fall apart?

How compact should the Coco be in the pot? Do you give it a gentle press down or leave the Coco fluffy?

Does it sink down much when you water?

I'll be potting up from 1 litre airport > 7 litre airport > final fabric pots.

When you pot up do carefully remove the bottom mesh base from the roots, or do you keep the base and drop it into the next pot.

And finally, when do you pot up? As soon as the roots pass through the mesh base, or give them a little time to football like you would a normal pot?

Sorry for all the q's! Any advice appreciated :smokin:

Take a look at @teeheegrow diaries. He uses Coco and Airpots

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

It looks like @teehee is mainly doing autos so is using the airpots as his final pot only. Cheers anyway :yep:

3 minutes ago, seb88 said:

It looks like @teehee is mainly doing autos so is using the airpots as his final pot only. Cheers anyway :yep:

No not this time. He is doing Photos:yep:

• Like 2

I always used plastic pots and thought I was smashing it with yields and quality until I started using fabric pots from the start, my yields went up around +-25% and the plants looked the healthiest iv ever seen and the roots look beautiful, been using them a few years now.

I do not remove the old fabric pots when repotting, I just put the old pot inside the new pot, as there is no air pruning happening the roots grow straight out of the old pots and into the new coco, it stops root damage when trying to take the old fabric pot off. I class fabric pots as none reusable except for the final pot as once you harvest it doesn't matter if you rip the roots, all my smaller fab pots are new at every grow

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tigstar82 said:

I always used plastic pots and thought I was smashing it with yields and quality until I started using fabric pots from the start, my yields went up around +-25% and the plants looked the healthiest iv ever seen and the roots look beautiful, been using them a few years now.

I do not remove the old fabric pots when repotting, I just put the old pot inside the new pot, as there is no air pruning happening the roots grow straight out of the old pots and into the new coco, it stops root damage when trying to take the old fabric pot off. I class fabric pots as none reusable except for the final pot as once you harvest it doesn't matter if you rip the roots, all my smaller fab pots are new at every grow

Were these air pots or normal plastic pots you were using before fabric? I've been pretty impressed with them but it's my first grow so nothing to compare against. 

Potting up was a bit of a pain though, could really do with another pair of hands to unwrap the plastic!

I'm going to stick with them for now, don't really want to buy new pots if I can reuse these.

I've grown a few times in air pots.  When I finally chopped the pot rolled off easily.  I had to tear chunks of root filled soil off with a bit of force.

When potting up from a small air pot to a larger one, gently rest the pot on its side, unscrew the retaining screws, peel one side off and pin it to the floor.  I kneel on it so I've got both hands free.  Then gently unravel the whole thing.  It should slip out easily and the bottom will pop off without any difficulty.  Because the roots have been air pruned, there is very little to latch onto the pot making transplanting easy.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JJJ said:

I've grown a few times in air pots.  When I finally chopped the pot rolled off easily.  I had to tear chunks of root filled soil off with a bit of force.

When potting up from a small air pot to a larger one, gently rest the pot on its side, unscrew the retaining screws, peel one side off and pin it to the floor.  I kneel on it so I've got both hands free.  Then gently unravel the whole thing.  It should slip out easily and the bottom will pop off without any difficulty.  Because the roots have been air pruned, there is very little to latch onto the pot making transplanting easy.

Thanks bud this is exactly what I was after, really useful tip with the repotting! 

Trying to hold the pot in one hand while unravelling the sleeve without dropping it or taking chunks out of the root zone was a major ballache lol

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 07/01/2019 at 1:35 PM, Larry Badgeley said:

Do you have a link to teehees grow diary? I’m struggling to get my head round how coco/perlite stays in a 20 litre air pot without falling through the bottom mesh grille!