Growing in concrete outdoor shed (need help plz)

Mrpothash

Hi, I have a 1.2 meter square x 2 meter lighthouse max tent, which is in my outdoor brick and concrete storage shed/building. I have a maxi bright 325watt ballast n multi spectrum bulb and reflector. Ive gone for auto's, BUT im having huge problems with condensation inside my tent. I have polystyrene to keep the warmth in the tent on both left/right sides, 2 lots in the base of the tent, one on top of the tent, and one at the rear. The only part which is not covered is the front were the zip is for access. i have 2 trays which fit perfect in a 1 meter square, which have 4 plants (2 in each tray) in the throw away pots, which sit flush on the trays then clay pebbles around the pots and fill the rest of the trays. the plants was nice and healthy, great shine on the leafs when they went in, but just 4 days in, my leafs are loosing the shine on the leafs and a few of the tips are going yellow, and curling over!! The PH is bang on 7, the humidity is up in the 80's, and temp inside tent is 25/26 degrees,  roughly 12 degrees outside the tent (in the day). I was told to leave the autos on 24hr all the time and let them do there own thing, now this im puzzled as the guy i purchased my tent from said put them on 18/6?? Could you please help me in regards on the condition of which my plants are going, any tricks for condensation and is the temp inside tent, and the humidity a big problem, and what temp does it need to be. I was going to put them on 18/6 today but i thought id ask you guys first. I am a newb to growing, so much help id be grateful guys. Thanks for any help possible! (blueberry/big bud/polar express/candy kush, all auto's). 

• Like 1

I`m running my autos 24/0 as they are in a tent in a shed and the outside temps are dropping below zero quite regularly here now, it`s cheaper to run your light continuously than to heat the intake air during a lights off period so it makes financial sense imo.

It really helps stabilise the temps and r/h too.

BTW if your in a hydro setup then ph7 is too high really, between 5.8 and 6.4 suits better. If your in compost then ph`ing isnt really needed.

@stu914 asks the most important question regarding your high humidity ;) 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, H + H2O said:

I`m running my autos 24/0

I tend to run autos in winter and photos/fems in summer, works for me...default_thumbsup.gif

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I tend to run autos in winter and photos/fems in summer, works for me...default_thumbsup.gif

Same stu, I only managed one photo grow this year though & I had to use heating during the dark period for that one! Boy I hate living in Scotland sometimes lol 

• Like 5

Im growing them in those fabric throw away bags in bat mix soil. my tent has no ventilation at moment. Its soaking wet in a morning, specialy on the front access door. What can i do to get the humidity down, which hopefully stops majority of the condensation inside. If i leave zip half open on front, will that help the condensation, but the temp at night will drop in tent i guessing?? Do you have insulation around your tents which are also in outdoor sheds? If i need to buy something to help with the wet on inside, then i will. Will it be the conditions inside with temp 23-25 degrees, and all that high humidity, which ive seen it at staggering 98% on the second morning

Just now, Mrpothash said:

What can i do to get the humidity down

You've jumped the gun and put the cart before the horse...

The most important part of your grow is environment, the very first thing you need before anything else is a decent extractor fan and carbon filter.

You will experience a multitude of problems until this is sorted out and probably lose any plants you have growing.

This will solve the humidity problem and keep the authorities and rippers at bay...:yep:

:oldtoker:

• Like 7

Get some form of ventilation sorted quick style man, it`s gonny drop your temps further but the only way to get the rh down & provide them with some fresh air. You`ll also need it for attaching a filter to for flower, so sooner the better ;)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

When growing in sheds and lofts I always have my dark period when the ambient temperature is warmest 11-17:00 for example.

but I wouldn’t even consider a grow without ventilation !

Big thing to consider when growing in these kind of places like a cold loft, shed or garage etc, is even if you do have extraction, if the garage or shed or whatever is cold in general, the walls of the tent will get misted up inside. It's just how things work and there's no way out of it, just physics for you. Seen it happen, not to my grow but knew what the problem was when I'd seen it, he insulated his full loft and problem solved. The temperature of the outside of the grow area matters too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyonee whos put some great info to help me, im so grateful. i now have dehumidfier outside the tent to keep dry as i can. i now have a fan and filter inside, and a additional fan inside to ossilate the air round. so air in, filter, air out and a fan gently moving the females in there. using moisture/light/ph probe all in one, plus digital temp inside tent, temp out, and humidity. temp 23 est, humidity around 35/40 so ive seen a huge difference,  no condensation and the leafs are nicely spiked up and looking healthy. doing purple, blueberry, polar express and big bud. Thank you to all whos helped. very grateful. 

P.S. Ive got them on 20/4, the 4 hours are 12 till 4pm. Some local people say i shud leave autos on 24/7 all time. could anyone just tell me if im doing right on 20 on, 4 off please.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mrpothash said:

if im doing right on 20 on, 4 off please.

Yup gives them a little sleep...most people who go 24/0 are doing this because low temps are an issue, 20/4 is better...default_thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

are you venting outside the garage, out of a window or vent say??

if not you will just be recirculating the stale co2 laden air back to your plants which is not a good idea imho.

and yeah 20/4 is fine for autos as Stu says

• Like 2