Hello all! Mech/Electronic engineer

mrevolve

Hi all, I've been looking from the distance for a while now and thought it's finally my time to join this community and contribute.

I'm a qualified mechanical & electronic engineer. I'm finding being able to use engineering disciplines to reduce process variation has really been a great challenge!

I'll be asking lots of questions as I have a few concepts and theories I'd like peoples help on. I'm spending a lot of time using Arduino's to automate data capture and also my own feed/DTW setup.

Want to thank everyone who comments here because I really have been able to learn a huge amount, based off peoples experience.

Thanks

MrE

• Like 12

Welcome mate. I too fancied having a pop with the automation stuff, but my programming abilities are not up to par. Saw lots of stuff using the RPi in the past also, is there a reason you chose Arduino instead? When I last looked into it there was far more readily available software for the latter, if that's the reason then no need to explain. Thank you and I wish you the best on your endeavour, I suspect you'll breeze it!!

if you can come up with something that will revolutionize automatic cropping, you'll be a world superstar  :yep:

lol

welcome to the site & looking forward to seeing your work.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the forum buddy I have looked at arduino then realised I don't know enough to get an led to blink lol. 

If you have a grizzly working a parts list and source code would be great lol

Show us your stuff DIY arduino is amazing stuff 

On 14/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, northern_soul said:

Welcome mate. I too fancied having a pop with the automation stuff, but my programming abilities are not up to par. Saw lots of stuff using the RPi in the past also, is there a reason you chose Arduino instead? When I last looked into it there was far more readily available software for the latter, if that's the reason then no need to explain. Thank you and I wish you the best on your endeavour, I suspect you'll breeze it!!

Thanks mate. I chose the arduino because the PLC market is massive investment but the hobby communities share so much information and guidance it seemed like a much easier route. A lot of systems on the market use all types of technology, but for home build setups it just seemed to have all the potential. I think the Pi is a great route, they are much more powerful but I do prefer keeping things a bit easier by coding it from the ground up instead of the linux side of things.

10 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

if you can come up with something that will revolutionize automatic cropping, you'll be a world superstar  :yep:

lol

welcome to the site & looking forward to seeing your work.

Cropping is a killer for us all! I've seen a few great pieces of equipment but everything just seems to compress the buds, which some people seem to think is cool. Sadly, I don't think I can solve that problem :)

2 hours ago, doobie01 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum buddy I have looked at arduino then realised I don't know enough to get an led to blink lol. 

If you have a grizzly working a parts list and source code would be great lol

Show us your stuff DIY arduino is amazing stuff 

The LED example is indeed the easier one lol so I really do feel for you man! I've designed a few PCB's and a few of my own shields, so if I ever make copies of stuff it will literally come plug and play. My end goal would be helping people have their own setups for sure!

I'll be posting my latest project when I've finished getting it installed don't worry about that buddy!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Look forward to seeing what you achieve :)

I plan on doing the same! But using LabView loaded onto a RPi, fortunate enough to do this in my day job, just working out what I should make it do, how much I want to automate like you im finding it hard to apply this stuff to such a manual and varying process! I am thinking vision inspection as its fun to dabble with :P 

Good luck with the grows!

• Like 2

started something similar, have all the bits here to make a 8 way relay with real time clock and temp sensors.

after ordering all these bits found the sonoff wifi switch.. so have nute bubbler and feed rings on these ive also added one to the tube heater at the moment there controlled by thw app that came with them im gonna flash them so i can intergrate them into a small home assistant setup.

the plan this week is to set up the temp sensor arduino and real time clock to control these. not sure ill need the relay board now. maybe not quite as fancy as id like but cheap n cheerful using pretty much off the shelf stuff, as a side note looks like the sonoff when flashed have access to some gpio pins so might not even need the arduino/nodemcu's

• Like 2

On 28/12/2018 at 4:18 AM, bigstickygreen said:

started something similar, have all the bits here to make a 8 way relay with real time clock and temp sensors.

after ordering all these bits found the sonoff wifi switch.. so have nute bubbler and feed rings on these ive also added one to the tube heater at the moment there controlled by thw app that came with them im gonna flash them so i can intergrate them into a small home assistant setup.

the plan this week is to set up the temp sensor arduino and real time clock to control these. not sure ill need the relay board now. maybe not quite as fancy as id like but cheap n cheerful using pretty much off the shelf stuff, as a side note looks like the sonoff when flashed have access to some gpio pins so might not even need the arduino/nodemcu's

Get some photos up of your setup as you build it mate

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK so I've had this running a few weeks now, it's pretty basic 4 pot wilma only 2 pots in use. Tent size is 80x80x110.

I did intend on going full out with atmegas pis and solder iron, but really no need. I've got lighting on a simple contractor, 4inch and 6inch on a rhino fan controller. 

Automation I just went with plain standard sonof didn't even bother flashing.. I have 3 small tube heaters connected to a 4 way adapter, on the socket end is a sonof with temp sensor. In the ewelink software can set min max temps for on off or same for humidity. These come on when temp drops below 20 degrees and turn off at 25. 

Nute bubbler and pumps are on a sonof each again can be given daily routine in the ewelink software. At the mo I've got bubbler starting ten mins before feeds, these switch off drippers feed for 5 mins then off. 

I also have one of these as a controller for some mother plants but that's not in use at the minute I'll ve taking cuttings in a few days. 

And lastly I have one final sonof connected to a simple oscillating fan on a set routine to turn on off as and when. 

I've yet to add a smoke alarm and temp sensor, I can see this from sonof software but I'd prefer to be able to pull this into some type of Web server along with Web cam feed which I also added. These have been stuck on a slooooooow boat from China since I first posted.. They should be here in the next day or 2.

Next I'm gonna tackle the pH and nute tank measurements so I'll probably need the extra atmegas I still have. 

I'll add pics in a bit as didn't realise they need to be hosted elsewhere. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ahh how I envy you your skills.  I grabbed a few Arduino with a few ideas in mind but quickly got bogged down with the coding and at this point I've pretty much given up.  

I'm currently working on a smart dosing system with a four channel Sonoff switch and using its inching feature to deliver measured amounts of nutrients and phosphoric acid to my feed tank to maintain pH and EC.  Sadly I've not found a way to send telemetry so I'm relying on an ip camera to relay the readings from my Bluelab Guardian display.  It's woefully half-arsed but that's how I roll lol.

Welcome to the party.

Edited by Laphroaig
  • Like 1