Decarbing in an oven

Guest Default Attribute

3 hours ago, johnnyneuro said:

Times and temperatures from empirical decarbing experiments can be found in the post here: 

The decarb process has been studied more than the THC-CBN oxidation process. In neither experiment did either group show data for significant increases in CBN at longer decarb times. The one you posted here claims CBN was formed at higher temperatures of 160+, but doesn't show the data. I think they did this in a vacuum though, which would reduce oxidation significantly.

• Like 2

So, looking over Wang et al. 2016 a bit more closely makes me doubt that CBN is making much contribution to the enhanced sedative effect of longer decarbed material. If you notice, at any given temperature, the THCA->THC reaction is faster than the CBDA->CBD reaction (e.g. at 110, THCA->THC plateaus at 20 min (Fig 3), while CBDA->CBD plateaus just after 40 min Fig 5). Also, the CBGA->CBG dexarboxylation is about the same speed as CBD at 110 C (Fig 7). If you look at the CBN/time plot, there's virtually none created (Fig 4). Again, this was in a vacuum so oxidation would be slower, but the relative change in THC:CBD over time may adequately explain the sedation in longer decarbed material all on its own. You'd also pick up more CBG during longer decarbs, which I've read anecdotally has mood lifting properties.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the replies, graphs etc. folks, much appreciated...:yep:

Pretty sure I'm going to try 100c for 90mins in roasting bags in the proper oven indoors, (not the slow cooker)

with any luck the roasting bags will contain the smell, fingers crossed

Cheers

• Like 3

Just now, stu914 said:

Thanks for all the replies, graphs etc. folks, much appreciated...:yep:

Pretty sure I'm going to try 100c for 90mins in roasting bags in the proper oven indoors, (not the slow cooker)

with any luck the roasting bags will contain the smell, fingers crossed

Cheers

On a purely non-scientific level I've put roasting bags full of shade leaves & trim in the oven at around 120c for a couple of hours and it stank (stunk ? :unsure: ) of weed for a bit, then it got less stinky :) and the dry stuff I ended up with was good to use in yoghurt, or vodka, or even a nasty spliff to mellow me out :)

• Like 4

Came across this thread and it inspired me to have a go at some decarbing, so last night I ground up 1g of Cream Mandarin and placed in a preheated oven at 100° for 30 minutes, temperature was kept between 100°+120° at/on surface of weed, then I tipped out some of the many many useless doctor prescribed capsules in my junk draw and filled 4 with the decarbed weed. Best night's sleep since I don't know when, right through, no pains no getting up for a wee atleast twice, lovely,  thank you, can see decarbed being a thing now, who'd of thought it, been a smoker all my life and its only in my 50s that I'm realising the true potential of this stuff :)

• Like 7

@KC yeah I'm starting to see that for myself now, recently started smoking more little neat singles slowly ditching the tobacco, bought myself a £20 dry herb vape to see if vaping was a possible for me too, liked that so a big boy everyday vape is on my list now. And tbh the decarb experiment was down to I make a basic butter every now and again for an old lady friend riddled with arthritis (never smoked and not interested in getting high just wants pain relief and sleep aid) and after reading the decarb threads I thought capsules might be better for her so made 1st lot to see a.if they worked and b.what dosage for her, and by happy accident discovered that I myself can benefit from consuming in this way and that I like it.  I've led a pretty sheltered smoking/growing life and since finding uk420 I've learnt so much, and there's still so much more I love it, I've  been inspired on so many different levels, it's already changed the way I grow meds,  massively,  and the way I consume meds is opening up in ways I never dreamed of, I can only speak for myself but I've not only ditched the dealer but I'm ditching that doctor too. Thread search commencing:)

• Like 3

Just now, Should Know Betterer said:

@KC yeah I'm starting to see that for myself now, recently started smoking more little neat singles slowly ditching the tobacco, bought myself a £20 dry herb vape to see if vaping was a possible for me too, liked that so a big boy everyday vape is on my list now. And tbh the decarb experiment was down to I make a basic butter every now and again for an old lady friend riddled with arthritis (never smoked and not interested in getting high just wants pain relief and sleep aid) and after reading the decarb threads I thought capsules might be better for her so made 1st lot to see a.if they worked and b.what dosage for her, and by happy accident discovered that I myself can benefit from consuming in this way and that I like it.  I've led a pretty sheltered smoking/growing life and since finding uk420 I've learnt so much, and there's still so much more I love it, I've  been inspired on so many different levels, it's already changed the way I grow meds,  massively,  and the way I consume meds is opening up in ways I never dreamed of, I can only speak for myself but I've not only ditched the dealer but I'm ditching that doctor too. Thread search commencing:)

You can also use the bud you have vaped in capsules or make cannabutter, tincture etc. You may see this referred to as AVB (already vaped bud), it's not as potent as using regular bud but it's been decarbed by the vape and may be handy to have when your running out or fancy a lighter buzz. 

• Like 4

@ricklepickthank you man, and your name and picture always brings a smile to my face and a laugh to my soul as I find myself saying it aloud 'in character ' cheers man. Yeah 1 of my jobs today is finding a tub to re purpose for AVB , seems wrong dumping it when its still got goodness in it :)

• Like 4

I find AVB caps quite mongy. Same as running used coconut oil again. 

I tend to mix them now. 

@Should Know Betterer

I bought a desktop vape a few months ago, was worried it would be a waste of money but I was totally converted after 10 mins :thumsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Should Know Betterer said:

@ricklepickthank you man, and your name and picture always brings a smile to my face and a laugh to my soul as I find myself saying it aloud 'in character ' cheers man. Yeah 1 of my jobs today is finding a tub to re purpose for AVB , seems wrong dumping it when its still got goodness in it :)

Ha pickle Rick is my favourite episode with the dragon episode in season 4 coming a close second!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ricklepick said:

Ha pickle Rick is my favourite episode

Without doubt....watched it a stupid amount of times :rofl::rofl:

'My men are calling you Solen'ya'....the pickle man' 

:rofl::rofl::rofl: 

• Like 2