Decarbing in an oven

Guest Default Attribute

Guest Default Attribute

Hi all,

Recently been medicating by decarbing my bud in the oven then just putting the bud straight  into capsules, a gram usually does the job. This works but im worried im not getting a full decarb.

i currently do 110 -120c  for 40 mins but have read wildly varying times and temps online, from 30 mins to 110 mins.

Does anyone here have a solid tried and tested method? 

Edited by StevieRays

@StevieRays

When I make oil I decarb the bud in an oven roasting bag (unseasoned lol )  at 100c for 90 mins. Take the bag out but DO NOT OPEN , allow the bag to cool then open and it's decarbed. 

Happy medicating 

:yinyang:

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Breezus said:

@StevieRays

When I make oil I decarb the bud in an oven roasting bag (unseasoned lol )  at 100c for 90 mins. Take the bag out but DO NOT OPEN , allow the bag to cool then open and it's decarbed. 

Happy medicating 

does that stop it stinking the oven out then?

• Like 2

I always used this guide and it works great -

We recommend preheating your over to approximately 220-225°F. It helps to use an oven thermometer to check the accuracy of your oven; ours ran nearly 20 degrees hotter than it was set! The specific temperature will dictate how long it takes for your starting material to decarboxylate. As you can see on the chart below, it will likely take between 45 and 60 minutes to fully decarb your material at this temperature. If using a different temperature, be sure to adjust your oven time accordingly!

SIJfWX4.jpg

We recommend slightly amending your decarb time based on the moisture levels in the starting material; very dry material will need less time and fresher material will need significantly more time (it needs to dry and then decarb). In our experience, it is better to overdo the decarb than to come up short and not fully activate your cannabinoids. For reference, if you continue to decarb once all of the THCa has converted to THC, it will begin to convert to CBN, the strongest sedative of the known cannabinoids. Accordingly, if you desire sleep-inducing edibles, you should leave the tray of material in the oven longer than is suggested on this chart. The length of additional time will impact the ratio of THC to CBN in the edibles.

If you want to use edibles for insomnia, a decarb time in excess of 2-3+ hours will convert significant amounts of THC to CBN and you will produce significantly more sedative edibles.

• Like 8

@dylanbk

Supposedly that graph is quite misleading because buds don't behave like "an n-Hexane marihuana extract" consequently decarboxlation times for herb are unlikely to have much relationship to that graph...(source) I saw a decarboxylation guide on youtube and some American guy was moaning about how that graph keeps showing up and it just confuses everyone...I'll post a link if I find it...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Breezus said:

@StevieRays

Happy medicating 

That's genius man :) I decarb leftover trim for making cannabutter, cos just making the butter (pan of water method) doesn't decarb the weed, so before I do the butter I put it the trim in the oven at 120c for about an hour to an hour and a half. It fucking STINKS lol Not good when you live in a flat lol Never occurred to my daft mind to put it in a roastng bag (I guess wrapping it in a reasonably airtight foil parcel would work too), keep all the smell in. Nice one man.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2018 at 10:38 PM, Billy2Hats said:

@dylanbk

Supposedly that graph is quite misleading because buds don't behave like "an n-Hexane marihuana extract" consequently decarboxlation times for herb are unlikely to have much relationship to that graph...(source) I saw a decarboxylation guide on youtube and some American guy was moaning about how that graph keeps showing up and it just confuses everyone...I'll post a link if I find it...

Ah well the guide has always worked well for me, and the logic of THC converting to CBN is sound. 100-110c for 1hr-1hr30 works great, 2-3 hours if you want something more sedative. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I wanted to chime in here about 1 year late, lol. I think we're still best off finding our preferred decarb method empirically by messing with variables until we get it right. I always notice my edibles are way more relaxing after a long decarb, and it seems to be a common thing people report, but I don't think we have a clear understanding as to why that is. I agree with @Billy2Hats that the graph @DBK posted is not necessarily gospel on cannabis decarb times. I'd say it's probably pretty close to accurate, but different subtle factors may exert effects we aren't aware of. Even if we knew extract and bud decarbed the exact same, humidity of the lab, altitude (and thus atmospheric pressure), how much sunlight the samples were exposed to, etc. could have effects. I didn't dig into the paper to see what variables of those they controlled and the results are probably a fairly good representation of the temperature and time-dependence of decarboxylation, but this is just to say I would look at the results of any one study as a loose rather than an exact guide.

As far as THC to CBN conversion being the reason for the more sedative effects of longer decarbed cannabis, I thought that was a compelling hypothesis, but there's not much data to support it. One group (not peer-reviewed) measured CBN concentration as a function of decarboxylation time and found only very minor increases in CBN over an entire 24 hour period at 252 F (https://catscientific.com/decarboxylating-cannabis/). However, there are caveats to this experiment as well. They performed the decarb on coconut oil infused with cannabis. Maybe THC to CBN is slowed down when dissolved in oil (would seem to be a less oxidizing environment than open air). Also, maybe the very small amount of CBN converted from THC they did observe is therapeutically meaningful. Some compounds are incredibly potent and used in sub milligram doses, so it's possible CBN is just a really potent sedative, and it doesn't take much THC-CBN conversion to have a meaningful effect.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

Times and temperatures from empirical decarbing experiments can be found in the post here: 

• Like 2