heating help please ....

vortex

ok,  so as those of you who have read my  diary ( first 4 out ) ....  this years guerilla grow  has been   less that great again ....  so in view of his  ive looked into having a  bash at an INDOOR grow for the first time ....

a mate  was going to dump a load of   ply wood  sheets   ....so i  had it and made up a box thats  2.5 foot by 2.5 foot by 5 foot high ... lined the inside with  thick foil and added a door ... no its not TOTALLY  sealed BUT NEAR ENOUGH ......  got hold of a 6 inch rhino rilter and  suction fan....  and a 300w led light  and 2x 150 led  ufo lights .

it will be  in a  concrete shed thats quite cold in the winter,  the box itself is up on wood blocks so its off the floor and theres no heating in there ..... i waqs planning on popping 4  autos to  test it out ..... 

do you pros out there  see any problems i may get  ie enough light ....bad smells escaping  heat too low  etc etc 

i thought i would ask before i tried as you  folk have the answers  to a first timer ....

thanks in advance  guys and gals

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

Why not run it for a few days and tell us what temps you are experiencing?  Rather than guessing?  Id suggest insulating the ply with kinggspan on the outside and then test run it with no plants.

May be ok to run autos in there on 24/0.

But its anybodies guess just now.  Test it out.

• Like 4

You'll need some heating under the pots, electric blanket or box in underneath (on the outside) and put tube heaters in the space.

Controller for the fan otherwise heat will disappear straight out and it gets fecking cold growing in an outhouse, garage or shed.

Foil lining is not recommended, it can throw hot spots onto the plants and they burn.

:oldtoker:

• Like 7

Why not pop some seeds in Febuary in the house?

By the time they are needing a bigger space and some extraction the weather will be better and they can go outside into your shed.

• Like 1

Hi @vortex Consensus seems to be, keep the pots warm - a stable 22c for the roots would be sweet - and you've covered the crucial part! I'm not sure how cold "too cold" is for the tops of the plants - I've read, but won't quote figures that some have said the plants tolerate well so long as the roots are kept sweet. 

I'd also second what @stu914 said about silver foil and I would suggest painting the inside mat white instead - my understanding on foil is only based on what I have read, and I've also been told that its not the case... But I'd still paint the inside mat white - it reflects very well without any chance of creating hot spots. Oh! I see @Arthur Mix already mentioned the mat white...

Good luck!

:v:

• Like 2

All the above advice is good.

I say just crack on. I started with basic box with no heating, now it's insulated and hatred and I can maintain a decent enviro even in a hard frost.

You'll still be able to grow while you sort out your environment, like I did, but be prepared for things will take ages. And small plants.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Absurdist said:

it's insulated and hatred...

Does the negative emotion have any effect on the taste!! :rofl:

Soz mate! I couldn't help me'self!! :v:

• Like 3

ok thanks for the advice   ....  hows about lining the entire inside of the box with  1/4  inch  polystyrine?   it will insulate it ... and its matt white .... 2 birds with one stone ???

Because your losing volume inside your box.  Reflection on the inside.  Insulation on the outside.  Simple black and white sheeting or matt white paint works well.

Foil is a shit show.

The stuff i use is reflective radiator material.  Designed to be used behind wall rads.  No hot spots.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, vortex said:

ok thanks for the advice   ....  hows about lining the entire inside of the box with  1/4  inch  polystyrine?   it will insulate it ... and its matt white .... 2 birds with one stone ???

I'd advise insulating on the outside (having done the inside, realised I'd lost a lot of space, then ripping it out again).

Make a frame for each side thick enough to hold 25 mm or ideally 50 mm celotex / kingspan, then seal up with thin ply. Polystyrene is cheaper but much worse at insulating.

• Like 3

I'll echo everyone else mate. 

I grow in a garage, autos through winter with lights on 24/7, tube heater and heat Matt, and as thick insulation as you can get. I have 50mm kingspan on outside of my box. Temps stay fairly stable with a temp activated fan controller too :)

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you go! 

• Like 2

the 6" rhino & 6" fan are far too big for using in that space, even on a fan controller you'll be sucking a fair amount through the box

& unless your adding a lot of heaters to try & have decent temps at lights out time (20c minimum) then you've no chance of completing a grow during winter time.

I've been there & wore the tshirt, just to explain, I did a grow using a 1m x 1m x 1.8m tent with a 400w HPS in a brick garage with a slid up door during a bad winter

& despite using two 40w tube heaters & a 500w oil heater, I was lucky to to even hit 0c at lights out time, needless to say the grow turned to shit & I scrapped it,

it was a total waste of time & money.