How to fit 9 Critical+2.0 in 1.2m groom

WeedSurfer

Hi, I want to grow 9 Critical + 2.0 feminized so that I can select the best pheno to clone. My grow room is 1.2m by 1.2m by 1.8m high with 600w HPS. I'll be scrogging in 8l coco smart pots using canna nutrients.

I've done a few previous grows with various strains and have my computer controlled environment pretty dialled in;  best result was 24 ounces of A1 bud grown from 4 clones in a scrog and keeping 6 main branches on each plant.

I had disaster with 4 Humboldt Blue Dream grown plants grown from seed as not knowing how big they'd grow I must have vegged them too long and when I flipped them they grew WAY too huge for my box and I only ended up with 14 oz.

I was thinking of flipping the Critical + 2.0 when they were still small. My question is how big (or how many weeks from seed) to let the plants get before switching into flower so that they don't get too big for my space?

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

I’ve grown Critical+2.0, Auto critical+2.0 and am currently growing Quick Critical in compost and every time I’m amazed at the vigour in veg. At 6 weeks veg in 7 litre pots Critical looks like most strains I’ve grown look at 8 weeks in 15 litre pots.

The Criticals i’ve done have varied from from just under double stretch to around 2.5 times.

In compost I’d certainly go no more than a month in veg for 9 plants in a 1.2m tent. I’ve never grown in coco so not sure what that equates to but hope that’s some help.

Edited by Rick Grimes
  • Like 2

Guest theokoles

Just my opinion but 9x 8litre pots in that space sounds a bit much..i struggle with 5 in that space in 6.5 litres but i don't scrog i only do light training, still though if your not vegging for long and you can't in that space with 9 plants, id stick to 6 litres even 3.5s. I aim for 3 or 4 oz a plant in that space with 4 or 5 plants, in 6.5litre pots and theres no room to swing a mouse in there. Id veg for 3 weeks max.

Nine plants for a scrog in a 1.2x1.2 space. I don't think that's scrogging more like using the net as a support, big difference. But top away till each plant is wide enough to nearly touch each other then flip. 6 litre pots on coco or there about is plenty.

Toke...

• Like 3

@WeedSurfer

Something else to consider...I was under the impression plants grown from seed should get about 5/6 weeks of grow time to reach maturity (this being a matter of development rather than size) before flipping to 12/12....don't know how important this would be (and obviously it wouldn't apply to clones or autos) but your yield may be affected by flipping immature plants...

Edited by Billy2Hats
  • Like 4

I have 8 pot wilma only 6.5l pots in 100cmx100cmx200cm fits perfect seeing wilma tray is only 75cmx75cm

Yes not must space to branch out but i guess you can train them.

• Like 2

Hello my friend  ;)

With that area I would reduce plant number to say 4-6. Increase pot size to 10l and do a minimum of a 4-5 week veg.

However, you could do a 3 week veg, train and scrogg then bloom. But it's going to be over crowded in my opinion. 

Not always does more plants = more yield. 

Let us know what you decide mate and will you be documenting your Dinafem adventure on UK420? 

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies. Some useful info there. I'd quite happily grow just 4 plants in my groom (that's what I usually do) or even 1 and just veg for ages. The only reason I wanted to do 9 plants was because I wanted to select the plant with the best genotype/phenotype as a keeper and I thought the more plants I grew, the better the chance of finding it would be.

Or am I wrong? Is the variation between each Critical + 2.0 plants barely noticeable?

• Like 2

I have limited experience with this as I have only grown 2 Critical +2.0's this year in my greenhouse.  But, one of them has a lot of smell and the other has barely any smell.  I haven't cropped them yet so can't comment on the smoke.  Best of luck with your venture...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, WeedSurfer said:

Or am I wrong? Is the variation between each Critical + 2.0 plants barely noticeable?

Maybe run five of the seeds and then select a clone from the best of the five to run alongside the remaining four seeds?

Edited by Billy2Hats
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, WeedSurfer said:

As we worked the 2.0 version from the "Bilbao" cut the pheno variance is minimal.

We tend to see 2 main phenotypes from Critical+ 2.0

One has a very lemon smell, a very bushy plant, vigorous growth with a 1.5-2x stretch :yep:

Two has more of a dank skunk aroma, not as bush and likes to grow more vertically in bloom and has more of a stretch in bloom (2-2.5x) :yep:

So from my understanding. You want to run 9 to find the best pheno?

For this you will still have to bloom them and I still think 9 plants in that size pots is to much for that area.

Personally I would do 6 plants which will give you plenty of selection for your clone adventure  ;)

Let us know what you decide mate :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

As we worked the 2.0 version from the "Bilbao" cut the pheno variance is minimal.

We tend to see 2 main phenotypes from Critical+ 2.0

One has a very lemon smell, a very bushy plant, vigorous growth with a 1.5-2x stretch :yep:

Two has more of a dank skunk aroma, not as bush and likes to grow more vertically in bloom and has more of a stretch in bloom (2-2.5x) :yep:

So from my understanding. You want to run 9 to find the best pheno?

For this you will still have to bloom them and I still think 9 plants in that size pots is to much for that area.

Personally I would do 6 plants which will give you plenty of selection for your clone adventure  ;)

Let us know what you decide mate :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

Cool, like you say, if there's only two main pheno's then yeah, 6 plants should be enough. cheers Mark, I'll do that. Glad I don't have to grow 9, it was starting to stress me just thinking about it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Billy2Hats said:

@WeedSurfer

Something else to consider...I was under the impression plants grown from seed should get about 5/6 weeks of grow time to reach maturity (this being a matter of development rather than size) before flipping to 12/12....don't know how important this would be (and obviously it wouldn't apply to clones or autos) but your yield may be affected by flipping immature plants...

Yep, that definitely sounds logical to me. Plants that have evolved to grow along with a certain length of season would have an optimum veg time. Whether a deviation from the norm would have a positive or negative effect is open to question (or experimentation to find out the answer).  It'd be hard to find out the true answer on here as opinions are usually subjective.

• Like 1

Seeing your only doing 4 plants

Why don't you do a few more just to use as training and different veg times

Have two in smaller pots that you can work on and do some training see how they react.

Worst comes to worst and they die it don't matter least your learning as well.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2018 at 10:25 AM, HeavySmoker said:

Seeing your only doing 4 plants

Why don't you do a few more just to use as training and different veg times

Have two in smaller pots that you can work on and do some training see how they react.

Worst comes to worst and they die it don't matter least your learning as well.

Great suggestion  :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1