DIY LED lights

Lordhonkyconcord

I’ve been reading about people making there own grow lights from standard household LED bulbs,

Has anyone made one and ended up with a decent harvest ?

If you have and don’t mind getting you’re head pecked with a load of questions can you get in touch and walk me through how to build one safely, Wish a list of what I’d need and what bulbs would be best. 

just so we’re clear I’m a bit of a cabbage when it comes to wiring electrics so can you be as simple as possible ! 

Ive got 2 grows under my belt with cfl’s that I did a couple of years ago. I plan on getting back into it, growing 2 auto’s In soil, in a box I plan on building. 

Im restricted to 2 foot wide but no restrictions on depth or height. Heat will be a problem which is why I’m looking at led lighting as an option.

I’m open to all suggestions and want to make it as cheap and basic as possible but efficient. 

Cheers party people 

• Like 1

150 watts at the wall of 3000/3500k led would do 2X2 well, may be better just buying a fixture. For any bigger make your mind up on dimensions and im sure others can help out.

Edited by tokenroll
more info needed

like I say it’s only for 2 autos so i’ll settle on a 2x2 grow space.

what info do I need to add ? 

I think you'd be better off buying a premade unit. You really need high power strips/cobs run from a specific driver rather than wiring in household led bulbs. Not saying it cant be done but led bulbs are generally low output. If you post up in the sponsored diyleduk section im sure they could provide you with a kit based on your needs. 

Either that or you've a fair bit of reading to do and will have to learn some basic electrical skills

• Like 1

Thanks prophet,

If I go for pre-made what would you suggest for a single unit I can use for veg and flower ? 

• Like 1

@Lordhonkyconcord A 135watt quantum board kit will do a 2X2  no bother. They push out more than 135w when on full power.

Check as already said the Diyleduk forum for some reading. The guy is in middle of moving the businesses to a new location this next week or so, probably won't be on here till after that. But send him an email from his website with your requirements and he will get back to.

If you look in any of my grow diaries you can see what can be produced with them. At a later date and you decide to go bigger on the grow space it's simple to add more boards.

Toke...

• 2 months later...

A 3-stick SolStix Rack with 24" rails would give you the optimum +35 watts per foot you want from premium mid-power LEDs. Same number and type of chips as the Q boards, but more photons and better spread across the canopy.   -b420