Red spider pic

sibannac

I was sat in the garden just now on a little concrete bench thing, just day dreaming with a fat one and a nice hot cuppa. When i noticed out the corner of my eye this......post-4687-1113127081.jpg

Lovely looking lttle thing sorry the pic's quite a long shot didn't wanna frighten the little fucker ;)

edited to add:- Anyone know what type it is?

not his name i know that it's Kevin.

:yinyang:

Edited by sibannac

Fecking huge type!!! ;)

So big it's almost looks like a crab ffs.

Couldn't tell you what type it was, but I can tell you I wouldn't want that thing anywhere near me GR.

I might be wrong could be a crab? what ya reckon looks crabby don't it mmmmmmmm i'll go a hunting with me digi brb.............

Dons all the gear hires beaters and porters exits stage left in search of the ?????

:yinyang:;)

Edited by sibannac

;) Punky you're B-A-D LMFAO :geek:;)

;)

I was just gonna offer the services of my Hounds, who are currently laying idle :yinyang:

*raises foot...hovers over Kevin...drops foot* new species created - flat Kevin ;) ;)

340472[/snapback]

Oh not nice Punky not nice funny but not nice :geek:;)

Well i told my mate Kev what ya said and he's on his way over .......

post-4687-1113128751.jpg

Kev climbs wall muttering funking punky soon as i'm over this fucking wall i'm gonna whoop his lilly white ass .......... mutter mutter mutter

The 2 words "red" and "mite" in the same sentence sends a shiver up my spine. :yinyang:

Cute little thing tho is Kevin :bush:

EO

Sibs, I think its a red velvet mite.

340493[/snapback]

Nice one OT sort of suits are Kevin does that.

He is very velvet looking aint he.

Nature is a wonderful thing.

Red velvet mites are predators, as larvae, they attach themselves to a variety of arthropods and feed parasitically. They will suck blood from a gnat or grasshopper, for instance, sometimes hitching a ride with several other mites. When red velvet mites become nymphs and then adults, they take to the soil to devour much smaller prey, including other mites and their eggs, the eggs of insects and snails, and primitive wingless insects.

The presence of red velvet mites is extremely important to the environment. "These mites are part of a community of soil arthropods that is critical in terms of rates of decomposition in woodlands and in maintaining the structure of the entire ecosystem.

• 1 month later...
Guest south east toker
Just looked up red velvet mite.

http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/fall2004/mite.html

It seems to like to feed fropm the soil. As a Hydro man, i doubt they'd be any use to me, But i was wondering if any soil growers may consider them useful as i've heard of many a nastie that can live in the soil??

357323[/snapback]

if its red and a spider its not welcome in my growroom :smoke: the ladybird however is most welcome! :stoned: