Venting into the loft.

Idiot At Large

Ok so at present I vent into the same room... this produces a hefty amount of sound and heat which actually hasn't had any noticeable effect on the plants...

Looking at venting into the loft and im wondering how best to terminate the end so as to prevent anything going back down?

i vent into the loft mate and iv just got my ducting connected to a spigot iv put on the ceiling, nothing will fall back down the ducting if you clean up around the hole you make, with the extraction being on 24/7 there's always air blowing up the ducting so nothing gets the chance to fall back down ime...

• Like 3

I would be careful venting into the loft myself......its going to glow like a xmas tree if not insulated properly 

Image result for heat camera showing loft grow

• Like 13

Yeah that is the other concern haha

It is a rather shallow pitch loft too which cuts off part of the ceiling at either side of the house... thinking about it its not gunna take much heating up... 

Might give it a blast and keep an eye on the roof...

15 minutes ago, craigfjyp said:

i vent into the loft mate and iv just got my ducting connected to a spigot iv put on the ceiling...

What about all the mosture you're sending into the loft space? Is the loft ventilated well enough to prevent damp/mould issues?

• Like 9

winter is on its way soon......use the warm air to heat the rest of the house :yep:

One of my boys channels it back into the bottom level of his house......recycle that heat :yep: 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Billy2Hats said:

What about all the mosture you're sending into the loft space? Is the loft ventilated well enough to prevent damp/mould issues?

yeah mate, the roof has a few rows of vents going along it.

• Like 3

I'm not where it snows....but my roof has passive vents on the over hangs. I got about 3 meters of insulated ducting routed to from carbon filter one of these vents, so the air is forced out where it would normally be allowed to passively come in. Not sure if your roofs there will have the same design, but I'd just thought I'd share. Even if they do melting snow might happen and that's a dead give away there. Safety first. 

Edited by Redeyezman
Fix typos
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SourGenetics_Nuggz said:

Put your extraction fan and carbon air filter in the loft and extract that way, then you will eradicate a lot of noise from your grow room.

Dont do this ^^^^^

If the carbon filter is not in the same room as the plants it will not scrub the air unless its an inline filter which not many people use.

You will notice a massive difference in your plants mate once venting out of the room, all you are doing is recirculating used air once a fresh air exchange is introduced you'll see the difference ! 

Venting to the loft is fine as others have said make sure there is adequate air movement in the loft space, Most roofs have a built in breather system that allows air to carry through.

I vent through the loft into the sofits at the back of the house where there are plenty of gaps (my house was built in the late 40`s) to allow air movement, i run 2 fixtures with 2 extract points.

Last winter when it snowed i didnt have missing patches or patch just an ever so slight shrinking back from the gutters so slight it really wasnt noticeable to any of the other houses surrounding.

Farmer 

• Like 3

Looks like I'm getting covered in loft shite tomorrow whilst I investigate up there more thoroughly haha

This room also has a cupboard which houses the boiler in it... it wouldn't look out of place to have a bathroom style extraction fan fitted a few meters away from the flue would it :g:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Vent up through the ceiling and then back into the adjacent room. Leave the window open in the other room and close the door. Then you don't have any issues with moisture etc venting into the loft or heat in the loft. Need a suitable adjacent room. Ideally the vent will leave the grow room in a room cupboard, and then enter the other room through the adjacent room's cupboard.

• Like 1