Coco and Perlite mix ratios

DMpenfold

I think we all agree the plants will grow in just about anything .

Point being coco is a perfect medium all by itself. It needs no aeration to it because really its just a tiny version of perlite , meaning its inert and holds loads of air around its particles. 

Perlite to me is for soil only as it helps lighten it and get some air to the roots in soil. 

I cannot see any how any addition of perlite to coco can help the roots in any way more than with just coco.

It would be like adding perlite to clay balls , or coco with clay balls.

The roots would grow , no problems at all but the addition of one or the other to the mix I cannot see could improve anything .

I think it would just take up root space.

I think coco looks like dirt and often people cant help themselves with adding perlite like we have done for years to soil.

If you try and pull a well rooted coco root ball apart you will see its extremely compact and every bit of the coco is used by the roots. 

For me its pure coco al the way.

zz

• Like 6

I'm still on the fence on this one and many an article iv'e read over the last year about perlite and coco mix ,

HELP lol

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Smoker Joe said:

You need perlite with coco to help aid co2 levels. This is a fact Owd

Why would you want to aid co2 levels?

Out of interest, like.

• Like 2

Welcome to uk420 @Smoker Joe:bong:

I though It's the leaves that deal with CO2,

not the roots,

they need Oxygen not CO2. 

I'd gladly listen to why this might not be the case :smartass: the more I learn, 

the more I realise I don't know. 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I used to add perlite to coco and hated using the stuff because it was so messy. Somebody on here recommended leaving it out so I tried it and have never looked back.

Each to their own. There nothing wrong with using coco if that’s your preference but I don’t think it adds anything to the grow.

• Like 1

I think you could go with any ratio, wouldn't make that much difference. I don't believe perlite is taking up room for your roots, if the perlite wasn't there it would be replaced with Coco taking up the space.

Perlite comes from rock I believe so may soak less moisture, meaning you'd have to water more frequently... However you could even go 100% perlite and still grow a beaut.

Think the best option would be 100% Coco though.

Got to add, there's a few assumptions in there :) gl

Edited by Bigbob88

They may be both inert but coco holds onto nutrients perlite doesn't so to me adding perlite is just takin up space. If the perlite wasn't there coco holding nutrition for you plants would be.

• Like 2

I've been adding vermiculite to my coir, just to mix things up a bit ! But it's like 15% and I have to admit it's mainly habit, not science based.....

Each to their own I reckon. I've run pure Coco next to Coco perlite mix and noticed zero difference.... Do whatever makes sense I reckon....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, golf.007 said:

They may be both inert but coco holds onto nutrients perlite doesn't so to me adding perlite is just takin up space. If the perlite wasn't there coco holding nutrition for you plants would be.

I believe you can get perlite that retains water. Depends on the type you buy.

But yes you're right I believe Coco would retain more. And you'd be better going 100% coco

Edited by Bigbob88