My DIY COB build - any cob'bers with any advice

Mike Hunt

Hello folks. Ive joint the cob nutters and built myself a pair of COB arrays for my 4 x 8 ( 120x240 ) tent, and i went with the following bits of kit

• 24 pcs - CLU048 1212 cob 3500k
    24 pcs - 133mm pin heatsinks
    4 pcs - MW HLG-320H-C1400

Running at 50w per cob,  dimmable when i get my 50k potentiometers, as i got 4 x 100k pots with the kit, but want to dim 2 drivers with 1 pot, so i ordered some 50k pots.

Im wondering if anyone has any experience with the led strips and what colout temps I could add to improve the spectrum and compliment the 3500k citizens. Ive got 4 x spaces of 28 x 43cm spare on each array, and Id like to add summat to broaden the spectrum for veg and flower.

Ive looked at the quantum boards, but theyre a bit pricey, and shipping fees are gonna be even more costly with tax on top,  and the Samsumg strips get a good rep.

So what you LED'ers reckon ? Im not down with the figures and specs as it makes my brain go *whistle whistle* :wallbash:

large.post-1482-0-74379500-1517782646.jpglarge.post-1482-0-68766900-1517851154.jpglarge.post-1482-0-56974600-1517782677.jpglarge.post-1482-0-23146100-1517851190.jpglarge.post-1482-0-23133800-1517782711.jpglarge.post-1482-0-15483600-1517782664.jpglarge.post-1482-0-12807100-1517604155.jpglarge.post-1482-0-03398400-1517782699.jpglarge.post-1482-0-00597900-1517851143.jpg

Edited by Mike Hunt
  • Like 3

Oh the lights on pictures dont do it justice, its fucing MENTAL when you turn them both on, i swear my house looked like jesus himself was blessing my living room ! pmsl The camera just went brown / yellow

• Like 4

will those heat sinks be enough to draw the heat away ..theres a lot of cobbage ..gonna get warm in there ,jesus sweats as they say

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

will those heat sinks be enough to draw the heat away ..theres a lot of cobbage ..gonna get warm in there ,jesus sweats as they say

Yeah mate, Ive got 2 x 18 inch Oscillating fans either side of the top of the tent, which will be blowing over them, and an 8" EC Vector running through 8" filter/ducting. The Heatsinks are rated to 60watt max, and Im seriously doubting how hard ill be running these in the tent, they put my 1260w of CMH to shame, honestly, I was seeing spots for a good 15 mins after. The heatsinks running in a stagnant room maxed out at 44 degrees C after an hour, i feel the heat of my hoods through the glass more than i feel the heat of the heatsinks.

My 1260W of CMH in hoods is running at 23 degrees C now, and its freezing here, so these COB's are gonna be rockin' come summer ! Less infa red and watt heat for more coverage and photon torpedoes !

Edited by Mike Hunt
  • Like 1

All in its cost me just under a grand including duty and taxes to make both( lol the chinese love a sale and will mark down your shit upon request for customs duty ).

I dont think your going to get a ready made setup, especially blurples, that are going to cover as efficiently, put down the light, or to last as long among other things.

If you look at Timbergrowlights at the Redwood TS, its $999, for 1 unit lol, i made 2 exactly the same except the framework ( cheapo L angle ), for a little over, minus the shipping, taxes.

To be honest, I havnt seen any " Decent LED setups with veg and bloom " that are worth the money.

These are replacing 1260w of CMH also. After watching a lot of Growmau5 vids and reading up as much as i could, blurples aint sayin shit vs a rig like these, and any " decent led " branded, are gonna cost way more than these did to come close.

Edited by Mike Hunt
  • Like 3

What was you running watt wise over the 8 units ? Looks like a good job, but horses for courses. I'll put my money on the cobs for quality and efficiency.

Edited by Mike Hunt

3 hours ago, bazzo said:

Well I can see ya love DIY..  quality job. !!!

But I disagree on your viewpoint on LEDS..

I have 8 LEDS covering a 5x3.5m grow room. Veg and Bloom, and last grow (my first ever) they gave me 1.2gpw

Cheap Chinese ones @about £108each  but they rock..  No messy wires or frames,.. easily moved and all the right light spectrums.large.20180101_205410.jpglarge.20180115_182934.jpg

Oh and Id love to see how long a cheap chinese 108 quid led will last lol. Guessing ill get 4-5 years at least out of these cobs ( till i decide to start swapping and changing bits here and there ) and save a bunch in eleccy, but im going to add some far red diodes and some Samsung LM561C strips too.

The new COB setups are beginning to average 2gpw. They are so bright and efficient that growers are now looking for light recipes rather than more light.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bazzo said:

Each LED runs at 200w in veg, 270watt flower

Manufacturer states 50,000-100,000 hours, Miezhi have been around in the grow leds for a while, and customer service appears to be good. If a fault occurs they send out the parts you need no questions asked..  Not that I've had too, its what I read.

Don't under estimate what china makes, they are right up there as leaders in LED technology

Lets not forget SAMSUNG manufacture in Vietnam and south Korea.. Citizen in Japan,  at least the controllers are made in Germany. lol 

I was just pointing out, that you have spent a lot of money, on less watts, and still not got the complete spectrum..  The LEDS have IR as well.

I didn't mean to put a downer on the lights, I think you have done a cracking job, and yes they look mental bright!, but its not just brightness, That's what people seem to miss when talking about LEDS, they don't appear so bright because they are not pumping out spectrums not used by the girls.

I like diy myself and only looked at the cost as I was considering putting a cob in the middle of my LEDS so I could spread them a little further apart, but once I saw the costs, I would rather buy a small LED, and yes I would def buy Meizhi.

Thats where the Mcree Curve comes in, bundled with efficiency. COBS will yield more GPW as they dont need to be run as hard. The Citizens at 3500k have a full spectrum and more than enough PAR and PPFD when driven soft. Its not about watts lol:wallbash:, watts = heat. Im running these at about 700W out of 1280W, and they are easily as powerful minus the UV-B and the heat ray I.R ( 10k CMH bulb going in for last phase of flower or a UV-B tube ) as my 1260w of CMH ( across both arrays ). I could easily reach saturation point by cranking it up to 1260w or doing a few additions, but im not using Co2 so im running cooler, cheaper and a full spread with no heat spots.

Infrared is just another source of heating your shit up. Put the photons down, and they will cum ! Still, i wish you all the best with your endevour. I do quality not quantity mate :pimp:

Edited by Mike Hunt
  • Like 1

Where did you purchase these wonder units?

I am on the verge of getting CMH, but I just installed an LED kitchen light today and it got me thinking, why not get the far cheaper LED instead?

• Like 1

mate your saying your 103 quid leds made by Meihzu have the quality control , spectrum / par / ppfd readings that companies like Citizen, Smasung, Cree, Bridgelux put out there for people to see, done in controlled tests, and your trying to say that Ive spent too much for my wattage ? lol

Now if you wanted to sling Specktrum Kings or something in that kind of bracket we could shoot the shit.

• Like 1