fire extinguishers....

ukscroger

hi, ive been reading that a high enough conc of co2 will kill all the bugs int the gr. is this the case for spider mites? and could we just use a fire extinguider or two and seal up the gr to keep the co2 in? i found that it should be 10000ppm for 1 hour? wot does an extinguiser give out?

we were thinking that it would be too cold to blast it straight onto the plant but if we filled it up from the floor, and monitored the temps from outside is there another reason this wouldnt work? just to get rid of half of the bastards would be good...

we are currently in week 3 of flowering a big plant, which is too large to hand wipe and prob too big to turn upsidedown in the shower as well :rolleyes:

also, we have a mum which is riddled with mites... when we take cuttings would the predators work best on the cuttings or on the mum? this is the other route of attack we are planning

many thanks people

room 2.87m3---> i think this is a little too big for 10'000ppm, although i dont really have a clue on how to work it out :smoke:

:blushing: you must be kidding you could fill the space easy with 10,000ppm.

I just need the model of fire extinguisher and the size, is the space enclosed ?

yup we can seal it(prob 95+% easily)

we havent sourced an extinguisher yet... although we are on the lookout...would one of the really little one's from b&q be too small? then we might buy one :wub:

thanks oni... it will be interesting to see if this works...

edit-b&q dont sell black ones...i will look elsewhere online

Edited by ukscroger

If you get a small one it should do ok. I think you should be able to get away with a 2kg one. I would think you will have to discharge about 287 grams to get that size room to about 10,000 ppm this will only work if the room is 100% sealed if not you will have to discharge a little more to keep it in the right range.

The plan goes like this get hold of 2 identical fire extinguishers now get a stop watch and time the discharge of one to work out the approx rate of discharge. The discharge horn needs to be attached and sealed to the room and put in an oscillating fan pointing at the floor in the room to move the C02 around as it is 50% heavier than air.

I hope this lot helps a bit more.