Tent setup.

Idiot At Large

So I have been slowly putting a tent together, been in no rush due to supply of clones issue that I have given up on and decided to go from seed bought from Seedsman, gunna get christmas dusted then fire it up.

large.20171223_155434.jpg

These are 145 litre storage tubs with a clipping lid that I intend to put 2 plants in each given plenty of space for spread.

Only thing I'm uncertain of is whether these are too big and whether to go for a smaller individual pot set up kit such as the 6 pot IWS DWC (£375)... especially seeing as with the large tubs I will have to be filling a 3rd tub every 3 days to replenish the 2 tubs and thats without pissing about with pH and nutes. Think I may have answered my own issue here...

Tent is 1.2 x 1.2 x 2

Filter is Rhino

Cool tube with Powerplant 600w HPS and Parbright 600w HPS and LUMii ballast (which I have heard bad things about)

Aaaaand finally 2x 4" RVK fans

Will continue later as need to shoot off out.

• Like 2

they always do that & its new growers that buy them thinking that theyre doing the right thing by buying a kit, then six months down

the line if your lucky, they find out that they need to upgrade, ie more cost.

what you need to do is ditch the cooltube as theyre crap & get a parabolic reflector £50, for your fans, if you go with a two fan set up,

get a 6" fan for your outtake with a suitable filter, for your intake, get a smaller 5" fan, the reason being is that you lose air movement

with air being pulled through the carbon in your filter & you can lose upto 20% of air movement, thats why you need a smaller intake, 

otherwise, you'll end up creating positive pressure inside the tent & you'll stink your place out as the smelly air will escape through any hole.

also, what are you planning on using for a veg light as a 600w Hps or MH is far too strong for seedlings or clones, you'd be better getting

something like a T5 vegging light & you'll soon recuperate the cost of buying it by electricity saved  :yep:

e2a, forgot to mention that if you need the grow to be as quiet as possible then your going to have to get a good fan controller,

your talking at least £100 for a good one.

Edited by Joint hogger
  • Like 1

I`d forget about firing things up in the near future mate till you get this tent sorted,once thats done then think about seeds.

Like Owd says your fans are too small,can they go back along with them tubs,I know its exciting,just a little research needed first.

I run the same saze tent so can only tell you my setup.

8" carbon filter with a 6" reducer attached to a (high) powered 6"can-fan for extraction,I extract into my attic,can you exhaust away from the room your tents in?

The filter is oversized as its less strain on my extraction fan,takes up some headroom,so you might be aswel with a 6" filter.

Intake fan is a 5" (low powered can-fan) and I draw air in from the room,windows closed this time of year but gets opened ajar in summer for fresh air.

Lights are a 600hps with a parabolic shade (june,july,august) 1000hps the rest of the year.

From seed party cup>>1.4 litre>>>3.5 litre>>6.5litre (final pots) You can sex them in the 1.4 pots before potting up.

Smscom twin controller 4.5amp can turn my fans up or down,I have my light on during the day,so nightime is super quiet.

Personally I`d grab some plant magic soil some fishmix and a bottle of oldtimers blooom for my first grow..baby steps and all that.

Before you throw any more cash at the hydro shop,pop in here and ask first.

Good luck.

Tenchie.

Edited by Tenchie
  • Like 2

as said, you need to sort your fans and filters out. 

You need at least a 6 inch fan filter, and might be able to scrape by with the 4 incher as an intake.

lighting would do for a couple of grows, unless you can return it for a refund.

The buckets would be better suited to growing trees in, so might want to down size them. 

I used to have a 120 tent and I used a 60 litre totes, Which had 40 litres of nutrients,, and was changed out every 10-14 days. This grew  one large plant, mostly in a scrog or 2 smaller ones.

4 weeks veg was plenty for 1 large plant in a bubbler. I used to start on 400w (2 weeks), then move on to 600w Metal halide (2 weeks), then keep the metal halide in for the first week to 10 days of bloom and change out for a 600 HPS for the rest of flower

I tried doing 4 plants in 2 x 84 litre totes but it was far too much, and I regretted it. 

If you want to do 4 plants, id be looking at say 30 litre buckets, which would hold about 22 litres after you fitted a net pot etc. but I reckon they would be too much for that size tent, 2 is plenty, honest.

And don't over feed them, I never usually go above 1.2EC in bloom

oh and there is nothing wrong with lumii ballasts, ive used them for years with no issues ( I had quite a few of them over the years)

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone for your advice...

The tubs will come in handy for tidying the garage :rolleyes:

As for the other stuff such as the cool tube, filter and fans are they of any use anywhere else?

So my to do list is...

1. Parabolic reflector

2. 6" outtake fan and 6" filter

3. 5" intake fan

4. T5 vegging light 

With regards to the fan sizing is it a case of the stink created and air needed by the plant that a 5" fan is minimum? 

23 minutes ago, Idiot At Large said:

So my to do list is...

1. Parabolic reflector

2. 6" outtake fan and 6" filter

3. 5" intake fan

4. T5 vegging light 

1. LUMii reflector with adjustable light fitting (£20) or...

Mantis reflector (£70)...

I'm guessing these do the same job?

4. Growth Technology T5 Lightwave (£60)

All of the above come up as first images in Google search.

If you are just starting out, just buy a ballast/lamp/reflector kit (about 100 quid on ebay, for an adjustable, dimmable ballast, dual spectrum bulb and a barn shade)

The T5 is more for clones or cuttings and wouldn't really provide enough light for a decent crop. 

This will do fine for your first grow.

If you want to upgrade the reflector, get yourself a cheap adjustawing copy shade from fleabay for about 30 quid. it will be just as good as a mantis shade.

You could save some dosh by not bothering with an intake fan, and just use passive intake (open the vents on your tent)

But DO make sure you get a decent fan and filter for the extraction (rhino pro or mountain air), as skimping on this will get you nicked.

• Like 1