DIY DTW/Recirculating Tray

Green demon

Just thought I'd share my design as it's been working hassle free. This is set up DTW but can be used recirculating like a Wilma. Or it can be used to make a brain pot.

Parts:

2x Trays one bigger than the other.

Tested with garland trays 60 X 60 with 80 X 80, 80 X 80 with 1 X 1, 1 X 1 with 1.2 X 1.2 all work well. I've made smaller using a propergator tray as well.

Maxijet pump. 750 has 1.5m lift, the 1000 has 1m so choose one appropriate for you

Horizontal float switch

IWS M25 sealing gland

13mm supply line/irrigation pipe

25mm flat bit

16mm flat bit

13mm

Waterproof Junction-box

16mm flat bit for horizontal switch hole. Drill slightly lower than mine pictured below. Fix switch in place.

25mm flat bit for M25 sealing gland. Drill hole above water level and feed pipe through and connect to pump.

fix pump to wall with the inlet as close to the bottom as poss.

Cut the plug off pump and use 13mm flat bit and grommit to make a hole above water level and feed cable through.

Connect pump, switch, and a power feed inside the junction box and fix to the side of the tray. 

large.IMG_1173.jpg

Line up the two trays and make an outline then drill drainage holes within the outline. If you want to make it recirculating drill a 25mm hole on the side (pictured below) and use a m25 sealing gland.

For DTW the pipe from the pump can go where you like. Mine goes into a sink. You could put it in a bucket and manually empty when full.

For recirculating the pipe comes from the pump, out the bottom tray through the M25 sealing gland then back into the top tray using the other M25 gland. The top gland inst necessary but holds the pipe in place nicely, and add a couple of elbows into the pipe. At the end add drippers as required.

large.IMG_1174.jpglarge.IMG_1175.jpg

To make a brain pot just drill a 16mm hole low down for the switch. Put the pump in the bottom and stick the junction box on the side of the bucket.

This could also be done with a DC pump and switch so it's low voltage. 

Edited by Green demon
  • Like 2