DIY Earthing/Grounding your plants

Green demon

For the why to Earth your plants do a quick google. This is if you want to try it on the cheap. 

We are going to create a link from the Earth to the plant. Outside is easy, stick a copper conductor into the pot, another into the ground and link the two. Inside is easy too, just a little more effort and this will work as long as your socket circuits are earthed (they should be).

You will need:

3 core 1mil cable

1/1.5 mil copper wire (earth from 1.5 twin flat and earth)

Srewdriver for plug

Kife, Wire cutters or just pliers, whatever you find easiest in stripping cable.

large.IMG_1178.jpg

Materials are cheap and easily bought from Wilkos. We need a plug, I cut off my fans lead for the demo, I suggest you buy one for 20p from wilko.

large.IMG_1177.jpg

The 1.5mm three core (white cable) can be purchased for 40p per metre ish also from wilko. To work out the length of cable you will need, measure from the plug socket you want to connect to, to the plant, then from one plant to the next. Divide the total by 3 (3 core). Then add an appropriate amount to allow for Mr Cock up. Only you know how much to allow for this, to get an idea ask your mrs if you are good at DIY. If she laughs, buy at least double.

To separate the three cables cut the white PVC sheath with a Stanley blade then hold onto two wires and pull the third, splitting the pvc and freeing the three wires.

large.IMG_1176.jpg

large.IMG_1175.jpg

Now strip the end of one of your conductors and wire it into the Earth pin in the plug. Remove the neutral and live pins as they aren't required.

large.IMG_1436.JPG

Next measure distance to your first plant and cut the cable to this point allowing enough slack to move pots around if need be. Strip off the end and if you have more than one plant you will need a link. Measure the distance between plants and cut a piece of wire to go between, strip off both ends. 

Now we need a conducting rod to connect the links to and bury into the pot. I've just used a length of Earth from 1.5 twin flat and earth. (Twin=Live/Neutral. A strip of 1.5mm (diameter) Earth copper wire)

Below Earth coming from plug, 1.5 Earthing rod, and the link to next plant.

large.IMG_1437.JPG

Twist the wire Earth and live wires together, then bend over the 1.5 and clamp it against them creating a solid joint :skin_up:

large.IMG_1174.jpg

Keep adding links and rods till your plants are earthed

large.IMG_1173.jpg

large.IMG_1154.jpglarge.IMG_1033.jpg

large.IMG_918.jpglarge.IMG_1093.jpg

Any questions feel free to ask i probs forgot something. Note where ever I said live or neutral that is just in reference to the colour of the cable. All of these cables are being used as Earth and as such carry no current and are safe to touch when plugged in. As long as you connected to the Earth pin! 

• Like 3

Nice one! Im going to give this a whirl asap. I seen some side by side comparisons of this and from what I can see it makes a difference, I will be trying it on clones when I do, some with, some without to see for myself.

Just found this on the subject. https://browntia.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/theories-in-action-poster-william-gasner.pdf

Edited by ditchthedealer
  • Like 2

@craigfjyp It's the first time I've done it mate. The theory isnt new to me but the practise very much is. 

@ditchthedealer awesome link that one mate I hadn't seen that study. If his conclusion is anything to go by then this craze may take off! On average grounded plants produced more Jalapeños.

Conclusion

Grounding insulated potted plants has shown positive and dramatic results. The ten Jalapeno pepper plants that were grounded have all shown significant reactions from being connected to Earth's electrical energy with the Earth & Grow grounding devices. Over the duration of the experiment the majority of grounded Jalapenos were observed to grow bigger and faster than the control plants as seen in the graphs provided.

This experiment provided insight into the electrical fluctuations of grounded potted plants and how their growth, flowering, and fruit production could be related to specific fluctuations of Direct Current. This experiment also showed how grounded plants can completely mitigate AC fields from their surrounding environment. Exposure to AC fields are theorized to stress and stunt the control plants' metabolic functions and growth patterns. The data from this experiment supports my theories that electrically grounding plants increases their growth, health, and production

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Green demon said:

significant reactions from being connected to Earth's electrical energy

Being "grounded" and "connected to a power supply" are two very different things, other wise we would be drawing power from the earth! 

I`ve heard it all now

• Like 8

I would say this is EXTREMELY dangerous & STUPID, remember water & electricity doesn't play well together despite you wrapping the Live & Neutral up,

if you want to Earth your plant safetly, just get a length of cable & connect it to either the Earth connection on a radiator or on copper pipe's, a lot safer imho.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Joint hogger said:

despite you wrapping the Live & Neutral up,

He`s not even got the prongs on the plug for those, this is the most bat shit crazy stuff I`ve seen on the net so far concerning growing 

• Like 4

Not sure what you mean Joint about wrapping the live and neutral up? There is no live or neutral, just earth. Also there's no electricity it's just Earth, zero volt, zero amp. Sure you can connect to a rad if its been supplementary bonded, that will provide a root back to earth. No bonding in my house and the socket circuit is closest to my tent. 

Aye Ratdog it's definitely that! Mainstream it ain't 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ratdog said:

"Earth's electrical energy"

12 minutes ago, Green demon said:

Also there's no electricity it's just Earth, zero volt, zero amp.

• Like 2

Well, I for one would like to thank you for this thread Green Demon, :yep: I was actually doubled up reading this last night.Not only is this bonkers but it's the detail you have gone into documenting it, superb. classic thread in the making lol:thumsup:

• Like 8