LED household bulbs

This was added to another thread, but thought it might be useful for someone and get missed there. 

Messing around with some led options. Was going to build a single cob for veg tent, (50x50x120) but didn't want to spend about £70-80 on a cob & driver, soldering etc. 

Had a few bits at home and seen people getting good results using household led. Plenty of info around. 

These are 2x15w led bulbs 2700k. They each give out approx 100 lumens per W, so approx 1500 lumens. Cost £5 each. Aim for highest w for the money. Maybe be cheaper to add 4x10w rather than 2x20w. Puls more spread. 

Wired in parallel using wago connectors. Took about 10 mins to make  Probably add another bulb to make 45w.

Seem bright enough, popping the lens off gives brighter light and more directional downward light. Not a lot of heat/intensity  so I reckon these can get within a few inches of the plants.  

large.IMG_1036.JPG

Edited by bobnudd

seen some decent micro grow's elsewhere using these sort of bulb's, removing the globe to expose the LED's help's massively aswell.

• Like 1

Yes, seen a few of these but with like a chandelier type with sort of 5 arms and 1 centre piece, think the LEDS I have seen used are by Philips SMD type. Interested in seeing how they do @bobnudd. I would like to find some with a bit more veg capability for clones and mums.

I use 12x bulbs in my small w28" x d15" x h32" stealth cabinet. My bulbs are all between 12-15w and as mentioned in @bobnuddpost all 1500+ lumens. 

Ripping the globes off is supposed to add roughly 20% to output. On that basis I have 154w and roughly 21,600 lumens all aiming directly at my canopy but spread evenly, not 1 light source.

I recently had a short stuff shark bite auto fail to auto on me. It's nature, shit happens. By the time I could finish my other auto and flip the shark bite to 12/12 it was big. After stretch it totally filled the small cabinet and during flowering, even with training, supercropping and swearing at it, I had most of my buds growing next to and even above my lights! Couldn't raise the lights any higher! Hardly had any burn, and on the ones that were actually touching the bulbs I simply put the globe back on. Ended up with 101g dry from that one plant and I am a novice grower and that was a nightmare grow.

So basically, these will aim light directly at your canopy, allow your plants to get extremely close without damage, and are great for smaller spaces. Best bricks and mortar place I have found is Home Bargains, they do 2700k & 6500k in bayonet or screw in for £2.99. The bulbs are 12w

Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.

*No idea why one bit is highlighted, sorry.

Edited by It's not oregano
Weird highlight issue
  • Like 5

Nice one @It's not oregano  will have a look as struggled to find higher than 5000k above 8w for a decent price. Fancy adding one for bit of a spread. 

I've got 3 x15w running now @2700k. After 3 days definite improvement in growth / praying compared to the 90w Mars. The light is so directional there's little coming out of the shitty tent holes now lol 

18 hours ago, nudger36 said:

Wheres a good place to get some from, sounds a winner to me this. Good stuff all :)

As above, best actual shop I have found is Home Bargains with both 2700k and 6500k flavours for £2.99 each. They are both 12 watt bulbs with 1500 lumens in either screw in or bayonet fittings. I have swapped all the relevant bulbs in our house with these now.

Dunelm have them for about a fiver but only 2700k as far as I could tell. B&Q and Tesco are about £8 last time I looked. Sod that! Get to Home Bargains and clear the shelf!

Best thing about these bulbs is that rather than having lights miles away, or trying to dim them, you can simply take bulbs out if too bright for seedlings, and if you have different colour temp bulbs it is a 2 second job to alter your colour spectrum to whatever your plants want. At £3 a bulb it doesn't cost a fortune to have a few of each colour temp spare.

• Like 1

@It's not oregano nice one on the heads up on homebargins-  Mk2 of my light will be bcoming Mk3...

2x 2700k & 2x 6500k..... for a total of £20 :) 

Full spectrum led lol 

seriously though really impressed with these. Plants look happier already compared to the mars panel. 

@nudger36 got the 2700k 15w at bq mate, £7 I believe. These home bargains look a bargin though....

large.IMG_1076.JPG

@bobnuddglad I was able to help. I have used well over a dozen of these in my grow and house for over a year now and they perform just like the £7-8 ones from elsewhere.

@nudger36if I can rig something up for them anyone can. For the cost they are well worth it, even if only used for sidelights for someone on a bigger grow.

• Like 1

Im liking the idea for keeping mums and rooting cuts, also would be a good way for experimenting different spectrum combo's I reckon.

Edited by nudger36

I picked up some of these types from Home Bargains a good while ago they were 9W each and for the house but never played with them for growing, however things are gonna change and my CFL starter veggers are going bye bye :yes:

Tidy :yep:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, botanics said:

I picked up some of these types from Home Bargains a good while ago they were 9W each and for the house but never played with them for growing, however things are gonna change and my CFL starter veggers are going bye bye :yes:

Tidy :yep:

Nice one fella...won't regret it I reckon.

I'd love to see the look on your missus' face when she walks in to find a giant 250w CFL illuminating the kitchen mind! :) :idea:

lol I use the little houshold ones @bobnudd like these really but they use more Watts (25 per bulb) for around the same lumens it seems :g: me being me like  lol

im planning on doing something similar for  just one daquauri lime ... so i may have a nice little smoke for christmas :skin_up: