wifi troubles

Hughie Green

Help !

turned the PC on a few days ago and my internet connectivity was shit, diagnosis onthe router said 2.4G and 5G connections were fine, everything working well  but a final message saying " Wired client on port 1 is running at 100 Mbps." but a speed test shows only 54Mbps which is basically useless, it is a Virgin hub 3, free upgrade from Virgin that turns out to be slower than anything previously used,

if I try a wifi connection with a dongle diagnostics says I'm connected at 200Mbps but speed test says 54 again,

any solutions or should I take a hammer to the hub? 

its probably no help Hughie, but we only lasted a few yrs with virgin, they were slow and unhelpful at every turn, a bit like their product, we changed to sky, its not much better, but at least I can use my wifi on the front step now!

dj..

• Like 2

Wired client on port 1? :unsure: Do you have a pc hard wired to the router with an ether cable?  I'd say whatever's plugged into router is leeching your bandwidth, kodi box maybe?   

Go to the device manager and have a look at the properties for the wireless card.  Properties > Advanced > Bandwidth   - I am guessing it is set to 20Mhz or Channel A or G.  Ideally you want to get your wireless network card set to 5Ghz or Channel N 

Here is a copy/paste of some basic info : 

(A) 802.11a 
Frequency- 5 GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 23 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 54 Mbit/s  
Range – 115 feet

(B) 802.11b
Frequency – 2.4 GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 4.5 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 11 Mbit/s  
Range – 115 feet

(G) 802.11g
Frequency – 2.4 GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 19 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 54 Mbit/s  
Range – 125 feet

(N) 802.11n
Frequency – 5GHz and/or 2.4GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 74 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 300 Mbit/s (2 streams)
Range – 230 feet

Edited by Inspiration101

1 hour ago, Saddam said:

Wired client on port 1? :unsure: Do you have a pc hard wired to the router with an ether cable?  I'd say whatever's plugged into router is leeching your bandwidth, kodi box maybe?   

Aye, it's the only way it works, a wifi connection is even slower, no kodi, everything is as I set it up, worked fine till 4 days ago now totally shit connection without me changing anything?.

call them and tell them the problem,sounds like a line problem or something they need to send someone out for or do test on it if you cant figure it out by hardware.

h4rdc0r3.

Get ringing virgin and ask to see if their service is running all good in your area. Two of my mates, both in seperate areas have had bad connection since last year due to too much internet being used in said area and virgin didnt tell them whilst still charging full price. Basically fraud 

Might be worth shouting at them telling em to backdate the bills to when the problems started in your area if applicable. Its the least they can do 

My two 

3 hours ago, *DJ* said:

its probably no help Hughie, but we only lasted a few yrs with virgin, they were slow and unhelpful at every turn, a bit like their product, we changed to sky, its not much better, but at least I can use my wifi on the front step now!

dj..

I only lasted a couple of months with virgin as it was so shit, I couldn't stream and the wifi kept cutting out so I also changed to sky and iv not had any problems with it since....

@Hughie Green you should get it changed mate, when I had it I done some research and from what I found out most people were having problems with it, its only certain areas that it actually gives you a decent signal, and if I remember rightly I'm sure it was only really some town centres that it was worth getting it for.....

• Like 2

Cheers all for the replies, aye it is virgin and their hub at fault here, totally frustating not being able to fix things at my end and I wouldnt call virgin customer care (or lack of) if my life depended on it.

• Like 1

Just FYI  I always got the best wifi reception and internet&network stability when I used my own bought hardware(netgear),oh I so miss those days but I gave up when I noticed that the internet here in the UK  just keeps getting shitter and shitter cause they oversubscribed it all and don't upgrade it to cope,hell  we only got mainstream fibre a few yrs ago and it's still not even proper fibre optic tho iirc lol 

most times me after a quick troubleshoot and no fix I'm on the blower as the isp are usually always to blame.

H4rdc0r3.

7 hours ago, Inspiration101 said:

Go to the device manager and have a look at the properties for the wireless card.  Properties > Advanced > Bandwidth   - I am guessing it is set to 20Mhz or Channel A or G.  Ideally you want to get your wireless network card set to 5Ghz or Channel N 

Here is a copy/paste of some basic info : 

(A) 802.11a 
Frequency- 5 GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 23 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 54 Mbit/s  
Range – 115 feet

(B) 802.11b
Frequency – 2.4 GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 4.5 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 11 Mbit/s  
Range – 115 feet

(G) 802.11g
Frequency – 2.4 GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 19 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 54 Mbit/s  
Range – 125 feet

(N) 802.11n
Frequency – 5GHz and/or 2.4GHz  
Typical Data Rate – 74 Mbit/s  
Max Data rate – 300 Mbit/s (2 streams)
Range – 230 feet

The answer is right here, if your the max speed your getting is 54mb/s, then it's because you PC is connecting using 802.11a/g wifi. Use (if the harware is capable) 802.11n for higher speed ;)

Everything I try results in the same message " Wired client on port 1 is running at 100 Mbps.", it was all working fine last week and I've changed nothing, shit hub, shit service, waste of time. 

I never use the supplied router, they're almost always terrible. 

Bought a second hand Airport Express from eBay for about 45 quid and had zero problems 4 years later. 

One thing alot of people still forget with wifi is that even if you have the fastest hardware - pc/phones/tablet/watches etc etc If it's all sharing the same network ALL of it will run only as fast as the slowest device connected and using it.

For instance you can have the latest N WiFi phone but it will only be as fast your Childrens cheap tablet or WiFi toy when theyre connected.

You can test that by switching the WiFi of on everything your family have and then using your PC on its own.

I set up a 2.4ghz network for all the family/kids gumpf and set up a 5ghz one for us adults so only 2 phones and a standard TV, not a pay for online TV service like BT/SKY/VIRGIN.

Really your PC should always be wired to cut out all of the WiFi issues or at least use those adapters running your connection over  your Electrical system direct from you'r router.

Edited by Badbadger

3 hours ago, Badbadger said:

One thing alot of people still forget with wifi is that even if you have the fastest hardware - pc/phones/tablet/watches etc etc If it's all sharing the same network ALL of it will run only as fast as the slowest device connected and using it.

For instance you can have the latest N WiFi phone but it will only be as fast your Childrens cheap tablet or WiFi toy when theyre connected.

You can test that by switching the WiFi of on everything your family have and then using your PC on its own.

I set up a 2.4ghz network for all the family/kids gumpf and set up a 5ghz one for us adults so only 2 phones and a standard TV, not a pay for online TV service like BT/SKY/VIRGIN.

Really your PC should always be wired to cut out all of the WiFi issues or at least use those adapters running your connection over  your Electrical system direct from you'r router.

This is news to me, I'm going to do some experiments when I'm off work :)