Durban Poison - disappointing!

goldie_2007

So i grew out four of a five pack of Dutch Passion Durban Poison fems, i'm a bit disappointed with the end product to say the least.  One bean never germinated but that's no biggy.  All but one plant hermied, two heavily from top to toe and one plant only slightly.  The heavy hermied plants ended up being pulled at 7 weeks, the amount of male flowers appearing was ludicrous.  All harvested bud now 3 weeks dry is very week in strength and has little smell, the plants had literally no odour in growing and very poor resin production and poor yield.  The strongest plant was the one cut at 7 weeks, the two that went 9 weeks were terrible.

Before i right this strain off, bearing in mind its supposed to be a pure sativa, could it be that this strain would need to be grown under a wider spectrum of light than under the 600w hps i grew them under to get them to have any potency and yield?

Durban works best outdoor but there are a few people that have grown it inside with success. Im sure if you private message Tony he will sort you out with some new beans or alternative strain. It defo has some indica mixed in there mate but good phenos produce an exceptional smoke, very different from most commerical stuff about

• Like 3

@geo1cheers for the input....with you saying its best grown outdoors then perhaps there is a need for a fuller spectrum of light when grown indoors.... i didn't get the pure sativa thing either especially as it grows a little indica'ish in appearance. 

Am not complaining as of yet, still unsure whether its my inexperience with growing sats in regards to feeding regimes and lighting setup thats to blame.  I was really looking forward to this strain, i had excellent results with DP's femmed Mazar last grow before now and was expecting a similar exceptional quality smoke.

Ah I didn't realise they was indoor too.. outdoors they are one of my biggest yielders with plenty of ressin.. never had hermies either... agree they have low potency tho.. I think they are a pretty wild plant that like outdoors if that makes sense.. thats shitty news though for sure..  hopefully Geo is right and some seeds will soften the blow a little

• Like 1

@RandyBoBandyi have 4 clones i took outside in the ground guerilla style, so will be interesting to see what happens with these.  Some free seeds would be nice but i don't really think its DP's fault, more probably so my own inexperience with this strain i should imagine.

• Like 3

Awesome.. you won't be disappointed.. just let them go as long as you can for full effect

• Like 1

Were your hatching temperatures high? Its been seen that beans cracked at low temps are usually good females, while higher temps promote males. Even higher, and even the girls try to be boys. It's been suggested that the high temperature indicates a late start, and running late promotes herms. Such as at the end of flower if nothing has happened. Conversely the cool temps make plants think they have all the time in the world, so they are girls. Knowing they will get big enough to catch some pollen and make great seeds later. Or... hermy if they must. But they just don't need to think about that.

No science in that, just observation. A couple of years back someone was hatching them out in the fridge and swearing the girls that were produced were great. Still... It's all talk based on lots of observation and limited trials.

Indoors I would run the DP with shorter nights than 12 hours. Perhaps it felt rushed. Most outdoor stuff when done indoor just won't pack on the weight and spends less time in flower. It adds up to a genetically superior strain doing what it must. Summer is dwindling at 12 hours and so it needs to get seeded. Time for some crossdressing

I've added a white 125w CFL to my lighting, not great coverage but it should add a little something to the spectrum hopefully.

23 hours ago, F-E_Man said:

Were your hatching temperatures high? Its been seen that beans cracked at low temps are usually good females, while higher temps promote males. Even higher, and even the girls try to be boys. It's been suggested that the high temperature indicates a late start, and running late promotes herms. Such as at the end of flower if nothing has happened. Conversely the cool temps make plants think they have all the time in the world, so they are girls. Knowing they will get big enough to catch some pollen and make great seeds later. Or... hermy if they must. But they just don't need to think about that.

i used to think this but now not so sure with several companies in the u.s offering sex tests from the seed leaves...

23 hours ago, F-E_Man said:

Indoors I would run the DP with shorter nights than 12 hours. Perhaps it felt rushed. Most outdoor stuff when done indoor just won't pack on the weight and spends less time in flower. It adds up to a genetically superior strain doing what it must. Summer is dwindling at 12 hours and so it needs to get seeded. Time for some crossdressing

yep, durban normally finishes when it reaches 12/12 , so indoors i would run on 14 or similar till you want it to finish then switch.   

i doubt its got anything to do with the bulbs,  I've done durbans under hps, mh, cfl etc  all fine..   check your timer hasnt gone spako,  it happens. 

Edited by Amarillo slim

I grew it and it hermie on me too but right and the end. I quite liked the smoke but it was full of nanas 

drop me a PM Goldie and we will get you some fresh seeds of your choice

Tony

• Like 6

I'd suggest you check your set-up for light leaks, especially as most of them hermied. It only takes the slightest crack of sunlight to hermie a plant.

2 hours ago, DutchPassionTony said:

drop me a PM Goldie and we will get you some fresh seeds of your choice

Tony

Cheers @DutchPassionTony, that's excellent customer service:notworthy: 

I'll gladly take up the offer thanks! I'd like other members as well to note that I am not complaining about the strain, its probably very good in an experienced sat growers hands. 

35 minutes ago, bearukc said:

I'd suggest you check your set-up for light leaks, especially as most of them hermied. It only takes the slightest crack of sunlight to hermie a plant.

Thanks @bearukcthat was one if my first thoughts when it happened,  checked already and its dark in the tent.